THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

Ok, so as we all know, in the United States, Thanksgiving is right around the corner! 24 days from today, we will mostly all be indulging in family, friends and good food, some of us, will be dining afterwards on cocktails to ease the pain from the family members!

This may be a hard day for some of us, the family, friends, gains, losses through out the year. We ned to try to make it as easy as we can. For us on this site, it may be particulary hard on the eating and portion control. I thought that if this got out, and we can make it as popular as possible, maybe we can do something to "soften the blow" of the day so we don't wake up the next morning with regrets from having that second slab of pie or helping of yams!

Here is what I would like to propose: a thread that is out there for people to use (with recipes or links) for making healthier, lower calorie, lower sodium, lower/fat free holiday yummies! what made me think of this, I LOVE stuffing, I am going to admit it, I could and have eaten a entire pot of stovetop stuffing! the Easter when I was pregnant, I did. I just recently started to notice that salt is not always "light" on the lower sodium foods. So I would like a recipe for low sodium stuffing. All the bagged stuff is "low sodium" only by a bit, I still feel like I am licking a salt block!

Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with the traditional turkey, stuffing green bean casserole and pumpkin pie candied yams, and such treats that we don't have through out the rest of the year. So, one thing I am doing for my family of 3, is instead of trying to make enough to feed us three days, im going to make "bite sized" pumpkin pies and mini lemon meringue pies. Another idea that I have floating around is make the turkey breast with the injectable butter instead of flooding him with 5 sticks of butter! And, I also used to use "canned green beans and corn" this year, im going to do it all with fresh or frozen goodies!

So come on down! Tell us your ideas! im sure that if you have a "grandmas favorite ___" we can use it or flip it into a healthy treat!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Ok, so as we all know, in the United States, Thanksgiving is right around the corner! 24 days from today, we will mostly all be indulging in family, friends and good food, some of us, will be dining afterwards on cocktails to ease the pain from the family members!

This may be a hard day for some of us, the family, friends, gains, losses through out the year. We ned to try to make it as easy as we can. For us on this site, it may be particulary hard on the eating and portion control. I thought that if this got out, and we can make it as popular as possible, maybe we can do something to "soften the blow" of the day so we don't wake up the next morning with regrets from having that second slab of pie or helping of yams!

Here is what I would like to propose: a thread that is out there for people to use (with recipes or links) for making healthier, lower calorie, lower sodium, lower/fat free holiday yummies! what made me think of this, I LOVE stuffing, I am going to admit it, I could and have eaten a entire pot of stovetop stuffing! the Easter when I was pregnant, I did. I just recently started to notice that salt is not always "light" on the lower sodium foods. So I would like a recipe for low sodium stuffing. All the bagged stuff is "low sodium" only by a bit, I still feel like I am licking a salt block!

Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with the traditional turkey, stuffing green bean casserole and pumpkin pie candied yams, and such treats that we don't have through out the rest of the year. So, one thing I am doing for my family of 3, is instead of trying to make enough to feed us three days, im going to make "bite sized" pumpkin pies and mini lemon meringue pies. Another idea that I have floating around is make the turkey breast with the injectable butter instead of flooding him with 5 sticks of butter! And, I also used to use "canned green beans and corn" this year, im going to do it all with fresh or frozen goodies!

So come on down! Tell us your ideas! im sure that if you have a "grandmas favorite ___" we can use it or flip it into a healthy treat!

You do know that one day of eating likely will only derail the weak minded who can't get back on track, right?

Sure you could make mashed potatoes with chicken stock instead of cream and butter, but you lose a lot by doing so. Same with almost all dishes you wish to "healthify". Personally I'd just eat your favs with no healthy tweaks, but that's just me
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Betty Crocker "Healthified" Thanksgiving recipes .....more fiber, less fat, less sugar.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/mhplibrary/holidays/happy-healthier-thanksgiving#!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    I love the healthier version of green bean casserole that consists of green beans with a little butter on them and maybe some bacon bits. Leaving off the nasty crunchy onions and disgusting cream of mushroom soup makes it not only healthier but edible!

And I disagree with the post that says you lose a lot by making healthier changes. I have made many healthier dishes and no one really noticed much of a difference. I found it a good way to show others that you can eat healthier and still have it taste good.
  • Cranquistador
    I love the healthier version of green bean casserole that consists of green beans with a little butter on them and maybe some bacon bits. Leaving off the nasty crunchy onions and disgusting cream of mushroom soup makes it not only healthier but edible!

And I disagree with the post that says you lose a lot by making healthier changes. I have made many healthier dishes and no one really noticed much of a difference. I found it a good way to show others that you can eat healthier and still have it taste good.
    :angry:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    It's one day I am going to enjoy it. I plan to get a workout in that day and eat what I want and enjoy the day then move on.

Every year there are several posts about your Thanksgiving plan or logging food on Thanksgiving. I think people worry about it entirely too much. It is just one day, nothing to stress over and it will not undo weeks work of work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    LIGHT CROCK POT SWEET POTATOES

6 medium (2 lbs.) sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into ½” cubes
    1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar (or Splenda mix)
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted

Total Time: 3 hours (on high)
    1. Place sweet potatoes in 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over potatoes.
    2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes are very tender.
    3. Sprinkle with nuts.

Dish these up with a slotted spoon….that way you can limit the applesauce.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I also agree with Acg67, but I applaud your motivation in wanting to do what is best for you. All of my grandma's best recipes can't be touched by making them healthy - she would probably come back from the grave to lecture me. If my mom tried to pull this healthy stuff on me at Thanksgiving, I'd have complained for days too. :)

You're right, that we only make the casseroles, turkey, pies, etc once a year - therefore I won't change anything. I am always up for new recipes though.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    All I got out of this was that you make stuffing from a bag/box

:noway: :huh:
  • Cranquistador
    It's one day I am going to enjoy it. I plan to get a workout in that day and eat what I want and enjoy the day then move on.

Every year there are several posts about your Thanksgiving plan or logging food on Thanksgiving. I think people worry about it entirely too much. It is just one day, nothing to stress over and it will not undo weeks work of work.
    now you are just being reasonable.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    I for one don't give a crud. I'm going to eat like no one is watching. I'm just simply going to make sure I have enough calories in the bank so I don't worry abou tit. I'm mostly going to stick with Turkey and Ham, (protein) and pumpkin pie YUM!.

I'm just going to make sure I get an extra 15 min of cardio in after each weight training session
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    My family is significantly smaller this year due to a divorce and my cousins migrating as far from their parents as possible. So we are doing a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey, although I don't know about the inject-able butter thing, and a pork tenderloin. The reason for 2 meats is that my grandma hates turkey but insists on preparing one every year. Don't ask.

Since the cousins aren't coming, we are skipping the mashed tatters. I love them but I'm the only one who eats them on this side of the family as the rest prefer stuffing. I hate stuffing, but I am a good kid and try it every year just to see. However I would gladly give up mashed tatters for the caramelized sweet tatters that happen at Thanksgiving. Mom also makes butter rolls. they are doused in butter on both sides then folded in half with butter...yum.

I guess my point is that this food only happens at this time of year, so we are picking our favorites and scaling it back. Certain things freeze well, like the rolls. I also make frozen dinners that I can take with me to class, or if I'm in a study frenzy (as is commencing) I can just pop one in the microwave and hey, its a lot yummier and healthier than the ones you get at the store!

Also left over turkey= turkey pot pie. OMG! so good!
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    I may be alone on this-but I do not go 'overboard' on eating at Thanksgiving. I do not like that feeling I have from eating heavy, fattening or too sweet foods :sick: . Since I am in charge of the menu: I will make sure we have some salad, fresh veggies and no creamy, heavy, calorie laden casseroles. There will still be lots of yummy Thanksgiving food (including baked goods:blushing: ) and my precious family to be thankful for!
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Ok. If your going to go overload on your day, that's up to u. But there are a few of us that would like a healthier option! Some ppl act like it's a butter adding competition! "I used 7 sticks! " no, I'm trying to get the word out that u don't have to run to Wal-Mart and invest in boxed crap, that is y I posted this! If u have a a problem with it, get the f!ck off! Don't do it. But believe it or not, there are ppl that would like a better option! I KNOW I'm not alone!
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Betty Crocker "Healthified" Thanksgiving recipes .....more fiber, less fat, less sugar.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/mhplibrary/holidays/happy-healthier-thanksgiving#!

Thank u. :)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Here's my plan...EAT ALL TEH FOODZ....nap...and then go back for another round. And I don't plan to log it, not one bite.

It's one day, enjoy the time with your family and don't worry about what you eat or don't eat, and get back on track the next day or the day after.

And, if you think you're going to have a hard time getting back on track, cut the recipes down so that there aren't as many leftovers.

But seriously....one day of eating bad is NOT going to kill you or make you gain everything you've lost.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Ok. If your going to go overload on your day, that's up to u. But there are a few of us that would like a healthier option! Some ppl act like it's a butter adding competition! "I used 7 sticks! " no, I'm trying to get the word out that u don't have to run to Wal-Mart and invest in boxed crap, that is y I posted this! If u have a a problem with it, get the f!ck off! Don't do it. But believe it or not, there are ppl that would like a better option! I KNOW I'm not alone!

Woah now, less flavorful food is never the better option. And "healthy" must be used with the context of dosage and how it fits within your daily diet, otherwise it means nothing
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member

Whoa.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member

I stopped reading at "nasty crunchy onions."

Well, that sorta explains the previous outlook.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member

No, you are not alone, I am with you!!!