Bicycling

My only form of exercise is bicycling. I can't afford a gym membership or any type of machines or anything. I don't really know if this is going to be a good way to lose weight or not. What do you guys think? I ride mostly on flat surfaces, it doesn't really get rugged or anything. I also play guitar but I don't know if that burns a notable number of calories or not. I just really want to lose weight :/

Replies

• My only form of exercise is bicycling. I can't afford a gym membership or any type of machines or anything. I don't really know if this is going to be a good way to lose weight or not. What do you guys think? I ride mostly on flat surfaces, it doesn't really get rugged or anything. I also play guitar but I don't know if that burns a notable number of calories or not. I just really want to lose weight :/
  • brbfnk
    brbfnk Posts: 3
    I really like areobics dvds. My fav is kick boxing and you burn quite a few cals when you do high impact. Hope this helps.
  • I do not have a membership either....use to years ago...now I ride my bike and walk the neighborhood for my cardio....cycling is good cardio...and you will lose weight if you keep it up....and eat right
    wendy
  • Delindy
    Delindy Posts: 24 Member
    Bicycling is an awesome way to get exercise! I love it! If you don't think it's enough...bicycle more and longer. Or...instead of bicycling to your destination...if you can, walk instead. Yea and I'm learning that losing weight is really all about your calorie intake every day. For me, it's easier to take one step at a time and worry about what I eat first. When I have the eating thing down I will make more efforts on exercise.
  • tmcnabb104
    tmcnabb104 Posts: 2 Member
    I cycle quite a bit in the spring and summer. The trick is to challenge yourself. One quick way to see if you are challenging yourself is to see if you can talk or sing while you are riding. If you can sing, you are lagging along and not really pushing yourself much.

I’d also offer that there is no way around the fact that exercise that is creating a training benefit is a bit uncomfortable (not pain). Nobody likes to huff and puff or sweat, but if you want the benefit, you have to put up with the discomfort.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    before my kids bicycling was the way to go. You will have awesome legs too! I would start using some cardio music for intervals and the cardio music will get you going faster and longer than you may do otherwise. Also, buy some small hand weights for home so you can do some arm exercises. No one ever said you must have a gym membership to be in shape!
  • Thanks everyone. I try to do 100 crunches and 300 jumping jacks each morning too but since this isn't really 30+ minute type of deal I don't know if it's really even doing anything significant. Sorry for the questions they might seem dumb I'm just not very educated with this stuff hah.

I was also wondering something. My legs are what is really bothering me. If I'm riding a bike, will all the leg fat just turn into muscle or will it go away? I really don't want that to turn into muscle. . . It will still be large and no one will know it's muscle and not fat under jeans. . . I want thin legs.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Do lunges. They are the #1 exercise for your legs. Go online and Google biking exercises and just exercise in general. There are tons of sits that can show you different techniques.
    :flowerforyou: Good luck to you