Lettuce Wraps

HellsKells
HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
2 questions for you guys:

1) Which kind of lettuce do you typically use for these? I've tried a few different kinds, and they each have their challenges, but I've had the most success holding things in Butter/Bibb lettuce leaves.

2) What sorts of wraps do you like to make? I'm looking for lunch ideas. Preferably something I can make and eat throughout the week or make a couple things and mix it up. Lettuce wraps seem an easy way to go. I've made tuna salad, chicken salad, chopped chicken with veggies, etc, but any and all ideas would be useful!

Thanks! =)

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I've always had issues finding the right kind, too, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say. That said, I know a lot of restaurants just use iceburg (Jimmy John's somehow manages to make it work, I think it's because they use 2-3 leaves).

Leaf lettuce (yes, that's an actual variety) should work, theoretically. It's a little hardier than the more tender stuff, but not as crisp as iceburg. Kale might be good, too, if you like it.

As for what you can put in it - just about anything that you would do a regular sandwich. BLTs would probably be awesome. Burgers are quite good, though I recommend using iceburg or other hardy lettuce for them, because the burger juices eat through anything more tender.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    I like to use romaine hearts.
  • HellsKells
    I've always had issues finding the right kind, too, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say. That said, I know a lot of restaurants just use iceburg (Jimmy John's somehow manages to make it work, I think it's because they use 2-3 leaves).

Leaf lettuce (yes, that's an actual variety) should work, theoretically. It's a little hardier than the more tender stuff, but not as crisp as iceburg. Kale might be good, too, if you like it.

As for what you can put in it - just about anything that you would do a regular sandwich. BLTs would probably be awesome. Burgers are quite good, though I recommend using iceburg or other hardy lettuce for them, because the burger juices eat through anything more tender.

I have tried green leaf lettuce and find that it just doesn't have the right shape to be a good conduit, but maybe I'm doing it wrong...haha. It is definitely a heartier leaf though, and I like it in salads. If anyone has a good suggestion on form, I'm all ears!

Great suggestions for content! A BLT sounds like a really good idea, and I always forget burgers work well in these too. Thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

I have tried green leaf lettuce and find that it just doesn't have the right shape to be a good conduit, but maybe I'm doing it wrong...haha. It is definitely a heartier leaf though, and I like it in salads. If anyone has a good suggestion on form, I'm all ears!

Great suggestions for content! A BLT sounds like a really good idea, and I always forget burgers work well in these too. Thanks!

The way I've seen it done kind of reminds me of how you'd swaddle a baby, or how you might do a wrap with a tortilla shell - put the stuff in so that you wrap it from the "long" sides, wrap the bottom in, then wrap the sides in. It's okay if the insides wrap over the first fold.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Actually, I prefer to use cabbage leaves when I've made wraps (usually red). Iceberg lettuce has virtually no nutritional value, and the other lettuces are either shaped wrong or rip too easily. Generally, tho, I don't make wraps since I am retired and don't need to make 'hand friendly' lunch foods.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    My favourite is chicken, BLT & avocado.

We use iceberg but its a bit watery.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Another option is: don't wrap at all. I love fajitas but when I try wrapping the filling in a leaf of lettuce it makes a big mess. So, I just chop up the lettuce, throw on some avocado oil and lime juice and dump the fajita filling on the bed of lettuce. Yum.

PS. I live in the Arctic and usually there are only romaine and iceberg lettuces at the store. Since I will not eat iceberg, that leaves me few options. lol My favourite is leaf lettuce.
  • HellsKells

The way I've seen it done kind of reminds me of how you'd swaddle a baby, or how you might do a wrap with a tortilla shell - put the stuff in so that you wrap it from the "long" sides, wrap the bottom in, then wrap the sides in. It's okay if the insides wrap over the first fold.

Ah......That would probably work! I'll have to try that.
    My favourite is chicken, BLT & avocado.

We use iceberg but its a bit watery.

ooh that sounds good!
    Another option is: don't wrap at all. I love fajitas but when I try wrapping the filling in a leaf of lettuce it makes a big mess. So, I just chop up the lettuce, throw on some avocado oil and lime juice and dump the fajita filling on the bed of lettuce. Yum.

PS. I live in the Arctic and usually there are only romaine and iceberg lettuces at the store. Since I will not eat iceberg, that leaves me few options. lol My favourite is leaf lettuce.

That's a good idea as well. I was mostly thinking portability, but I could always throw it in a bowl as well I guess! =)
  • tk1531
    tk1531 Posts: 10 Member
    bibb lettuce is a nice malleable choice over romaine - but instead of a wrap, it's more a taco-shell size
  • plasticgloworm
    plasticgloworm Posts: 1 Member
    Hey everyone, I just recently joined this group, and I had to respond to this post. Collard green wraps have totally saved my life! Super easy to do, and they hold up really well, much better for a packed lunch than lettuce wraps. I take two nicely sized collard greens and chop the stem. Then you take your knife and slice off the "spine" on the collard green, which makes it alot easier to roll. Put the collards next to each other, slightly overlapping, fill with goodies and roll like a burrito. SO GOOD! Before i started working at a health food store that sells collard wraps, I'd never even considered them as an option. Lettuce is too watery and falls apart too easily for me.

Here's a site that explains how to roll a collard wrap. http://honestfare.com/mastering-the-collard-wrap/

I hope you try it, and I hope you like it!

Best of luck
  • HellsKells
    Hey everyone, I just recently joined this group, and I had to respond to this post. Collard green wraps have totally saved my life! Super easy to do, and they hold up really well, much better for a packed lunch than lettuce wraps. I take two nicely sized collard greens and chop the stem. Then you take your knife and slice off the "spine" on the collard green, which makes it alot easier to roll. Put the collards next to each other, slightly overlapping, fill with goodies and roll like a burrito. SO GOOD! Before i started working at a health food store that sells collard wraps, I'd never even considered them as an option. Lettuce is too watery and falls apart too easily for me.

Here's a site that explains how to roll a collard wrap. http://honestfare.com/mastering-the-collard-wrap/

I hope you try it, and I hope you like it!

Best of luck

Awesome advice! I'll have to try that! I have never had collard greens before, so I'm hoping they don't taste bitter like kale.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    I second the collard greens, because they're sturdy! I dropped them into a shallow pan of almost boiling water for less than 30 seconds just to soften them up, and then let cool on paper towels and dry them off.

I LOVE lettuce wraps. Maybe I'll make some this week!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I use romaine or greenleaf, but more like a taco shell than a wrap. But since mine are usually messy, I also go the salad route!

Or in the case of a burger...I just knife and fork it! :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    2 questions for you guys:

2) What sorts of wraps do you like to make? I'm looking for lunch ideas. Preferably something I can make and eat throughout the week or make a couple things and mix it up. Lettuce wraps seem an easy way to go. I've made tuna salad, chicken salad, chopped chicken with veggies, etc, but any and all ideas would be useful!

Thanks! =)

I'll make up a bunch of meat all at once - a pork or beef roast, chicken breasts or thighs, etc then use the leftovers for lunches all week. Chicken you can use to make chicken salad, fajitas, top salads, etc. Mix up the spices and add fats - bacon, avocado, nuts, etc to the salads (I don't use dressing, as long as I have lots of yumminess added). That helps with variety, too. Cook up some ground meat of choice and add taco seasonings (google your own paleo taco seasoning), then top salads. If it's a roast, I just use some frozen veggies (if I don't have any leftover veg) and meat, throw in a container, and there's lunch.

oooh another one I like to do with chicken on a salad - add some butter (or ghee) and hot sauce, and voila - buffalo chicken salad. Or just mix with some coconut oil and spices you like and heat before adding to the salad. Bacon avocado chicken salad. Avocado steak salad is another favorite of mine!
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    I like to use butter/Boston lettuce for wraps.

Wraps are great. You can do so much with them. I make "tacos" subbing lettuce for shells. I make a gyro-like wrap with lamb stew meat, subbing lettuce for pita and using the avo-ziki sauce from Practical Paleo (SOOOO good). Any kind of "normal" sandwich.
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    I like to use romaine hearts.

^ Second that! I like them as "shells" for taco filling, stuffed with shredded chicken or pork, or with "buffalo chicken" - I have even used romaine hearts as "chips" for guacamole because they have such a sturdy crunch!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    I realized one day when I was making slaw with napa cabbage that napa cabage leaves are large with the perfect consistency to make lettuce wraps. Haven't tried it yet but I think it would work really well.
  • shenitamo
    shenitamo Posts: 147 Member
    I usually use cabbage for wraps as well and this is an AWESOME recipe for "Asian Turkey Cabbage Wraps" that can be an entrée or I sometimes make it as an app if I am having people over. A big hit! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/asian-turkey-cabbage-cups-10000001932640/
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Ive used both iceberg and romaine. Like the others who use romaine, I do it taco-style
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Ive used both iceberg and romaine. Like the others who use romaine, I do it taco-style