Am I the only one?

banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
Who feels like I'm cheating when I force myself to take my 1 day a week off of exercising? I feel like I let myself down today, even though I KNOW I needed a day off of exercise. I ain't a kid anymore, these ole bones need a break.

Replies

• banks1850
    Who feels like I'm cheating when I force myself to take my 1 day a week off of exercising? I feel like I let myself down today, even though I KNOW I needed a day off of exercise. I ain't a kid anymore, these ole bones need a break.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    I was JUST talking about the same thing. I told my husband that I feel really guilty that i am not going to the gym today and he reminded me that I NEED to take a day off. I've only taken four days off since the beginning of June and it's hard every time.
    So, Banks, you are NOT alone!!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Oh I am right there with you dude! I have to force myself to not even think about it! But you are right, the old bones do need a rest / recovery.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    I ALWAYS feel guilty if I don't workout! I have to remind myself that the way you build stronger muscles is to take that rest!!! That is when the body rebuilds. I must confess that part of it comes from the fact that I hate restricting my diet more on the days of no exercise. :laugh:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Wow. Talk about a mind meld! I was just thinking about this.

I know I am supposed to take a day off but I rarely do. I exercise for my head more than I do for physical fitness. The way I rationalize it is this: I am not a pro athlete, nor do I do such strenuous exercise that I really need that recuperation. Three times a week I rise to my max level but then four times a week I just do something: an easy walk that still burns up calories.

I know the wisdom out there says to take a day off but I really fear two things:

1. That I will fall out of the habit of exercise (which feels like brushing my teeth -- something I just gotta do or the day does not feel "right")

2. That I will be grumpy b/c I am so accustomed to the "endorphin kick" of my light-moderate daily routine.

And, while I beat this topic to the ground: our ancestors (of even one generation ago) did not have a "rest" day on the farm or doing manual tasks around the homestead . . . So, in our incredibly sedentary lives, isn't a little movement good every day???
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    So true. I had resolved to do MORE exercise this week, but ended up doing none because I was feeling like I was going to faint...for about four hours. Not something I want to re-live! I guess sometimes our bodies just need a break. Taking one day off a week now might help prevent future burn-out.
  • time2wrk
    I know my gym teachers (I am very blessed to have very knowledgeable staff where I work out) say to take a day, but that is because 1) we do weightlifting classes, and for those, you definitely need to take a rest and 2) I think they are referring to pretty hard-core workouts. A walk, while a great thing to do, is not punishing to your body. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with no breaks with a daily walk, but for me there also should not be mental anguish if I miss one day a week of any exercise if I am pushing myself hard the rest of the week. The conscience section of my brain tends to disagree, however. :wink:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member

Hey der!!!

I posted on the running board about this a few weeks ago. I didn't know "how" to take a day off. It seems like when I take a day off from running, I bike, when I don't bike, I jump rope, swim, canoe, hike, run on the beach. I don't know how to sit anymore. How does someone just NOT workout for a day? I use to be a pro at sitting on the couch. I feel broken?
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    pfft.. I have no problem taking days off:huh:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    I had this convo with my husband 2 days ago. I've taken 2 days off since June 8th and on both of those days I was a total hag. :laugh:

I try to space out my weight training but working out makes me feel WAY too good. I'm just trying to make sure I have variety. Supposed to shmupposed to.
  • banks1850
    LOL! The problem with the ancestor quote is that I would be considered VERY old for that time period since the average life span a few centuries ago was in the 40's. Plus even farmers had the winter off. I have been going straight out for 11 months and I think it's catching up with me. I have a touch of planter fasciitis, which sucks cuz I run, and I pitch in baseball, and it's my right foot which is my plant foot. It's getting better, but I KNOW it's cuz I ran 6 miles saturday, then pitched and played in a double header on sunday (about 5 straight hours of baseball). On the up side I did the 6 miles in 44 minutes, which is awesome for me (about a 7 minute 20 second mile)

Anyway, today i'm gonna do legs and core, and maybe 15 minutes on the bike, that's it. I need to rest my aching foot tendons! thanks for the encouragement guys.
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Sorry to hear about your plantar fasciitis, Banks! I know it is a bummer to have that limitation. Hope you're treating it with rest and that apparatus that stretches the tendons??? My husband (a marathon runner) just had a bout of it and found he needed to change the style of his running shoe. He went to an official running store (at my insistence) and they told him that hard-core athletes sometimes need to change their shoe style to accommodate changes in stance and weight distribution from doing so much intense activity on their feet . . .

Hope that helps.

Also, re: the ancestor comment ~ even one generation ago, you would still have been a young buck!
  • Healthier_Me
    LOL! The problem with the ancestor quote is that I would be considered VERY old for that time period since the average life span a few centuries ago was in the 40's. Plus even farmers had the winter off. I have been going straight out for 11 months and I think it's catching up with me. I have a touch of planter fasciitis, which sucks cuz I run, and I pitch in baseball, and it's my right foot which is my plant foot. It's getting better, but I KNOW it's cuz I ran 6 miles saturday, then pitched and played in a double header on sunday (about 5 straight hours of baseball). On the up side I did the 6 miles in 44 minutes, which is awesome for me (about a 7 minute 20 second mile)

Anyway, today i'm gonna do legs and core, and maybe 15 minutes on the bike, that's it. I need to rest my aching foot tendons! thanks for the encouragement guys.
    Come be my running buddy Mista!
    BTW, great job on the 6 miles bud!
  • banks1850
    Sorry to hear about your plantar fasciitis, Banks! I know it is a bummer to have that limitation. Hope you're treating it with rest and that apparatus that stretches the tendons??? My husband (a marathon runner) just had a bout of it and found he needed to change the style of his running shoe. He went to an official running store (at my insistence) and they told him that hard-core athletes sometimes need to change their shoe style to accommodate changes in stance and weight distribution from doing so much intense activity on their feet . . .

Hope that helps.

Also, re: the ancestor comment ~ even one generation ago, you would still have been a young buck!

Young buck, riiiiight. :tongue:

Yeah, I did finally get to the New England Running Company and got myself a set of new Brooks running shoes. They feel good, but I'm not running again until thursday, today is mostly weights and a little of the recumbant bike, and tomorrow will be some swimming and baseball (If the weather holds). The foot already feels better, not 100% yet, but better.
  • banks1850

Oh Jo, any time. Come to think of it, My buddy and me are gonna be in NYC in August for a Sox vs. Yanks game, I'll let ya know, maybe we can meet for a smoothie! :flowerforyou:
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    pfft.. I have no problem taking days off:huh:

Ditto!:laugh:
  • time2wrk

I have severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot and I am getting concerned because no I am also getting pain in my ankle. So, I take lots of spinning classes for cardio. My health insurance is crummy, so as long as I can stave off a dr. visit, I am going to try! Getting old is for the birds!:grumble:
  • Healthier_Me

Oh Jo, any time. Come to think of it, My buddy and me are gonna be in NYC in August for a Sox vs. Yanks game, I'll let ya know, maybe we can meet for a smoothie! :flowerforyou:
    NYC is 6 hours away honey bunz!
    We can definitely have a "smoothie":wink: