HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• Shaylyn1986
    Shaylyn1986 Posts: 164 Member
    You ladies look great!

To be honest though, I did crossfit (lots of heavy lifting with weights going up each day) for about 4 months. I had to eat more than I normally would or I would pass out in class so I couldn't keep to my normal diet (1200cal). I noticed that my arms were starting to stretch out my shirts and not in a good way. It was bad to the point where even my mom was saying you're looking bulky :S. I had to stop doing it because I hated how I looked. :\
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    I am only on week 2!!!! I love this thread! It is so motivational. I am looking forward to seeing my results from month to month. you all look fabulous!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    You ladies look great!

To be honest though, I did crossfit (lots of heavy lifting with weights going up each day) for about 4 months. I had to eat more than I normally would or I would pass out in class so I couldn't keep to my normal diet (1200cal). I noticed that my arms were starting to stretch out my shirts and not in a good way. It was bad to the point where even my mom was saying you're looking bulky :S. I had to stop doing it because I hated how I looked. :\

so many things wrong with this. 1200 calories is too low unless you are on your deathbed, and crossfit/heavy weights won't make you bulky if you shave off some body fat... Especially in 4 months. in a year and a half of crossfit and 2000+ calories a day i have managed to go from a size 10 to a size 6 and while my arms and shoulders are a little bit bigger, they no longer have the jiggle that they did.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    I am curious how much cardio any of you are doing??? You all look fabulous!

10-15 minutes warm-up before lifting.

That is all I do as well for cardio. Sometimes I will "cool down" with some cardio also (if I have time).
  • Shaylyn1986
    You ladies look great!

so many things wrong with this. 1200 calories is too low unless you are on your deathbed, and crossfit/heavy weights won't make you bulky if you shave off some body fat... Especially in 4 months. in a year and a half of crossfit and 2000+ calories a day i have managed to go from a size 10 to a size 6 and while my arms and shoulders are a little bit bigger, they no longer have the jiggle that they did.

1200 for 5'2 is the recommended amount for a sedentary lifestyle.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Still not quite there yet, but man I love where this heavy lifting business is taking my bum. :happy:

7AePFVC.jpg

WOW! you look amazing I am starting today I am nervous but I think ready :D
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    You ladies look great!

No it's not.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    You ladies look great!

No it's not.

Yes it is. Even MFP recommends it.

"The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute suggests that sedentary women weighing less than 165 pounds generally need 1,000 to 1,200 calories daily to effectively lose weight"
    via http://livehealthy.chron.com/sedentary-lifestyle-calorie-intake-3186.html

this doesn't go into what truly sedentary is... but im assuming if you take showers, do dishes, walk to your car, go shopping, chase after a child, stand up at work... literally anything, you will probably be at least lightly active. i think you will be hard pressed to find a woman that can sustain themselves on 1200 daily (without having disordered eating (not an eating disorder)) while having energy to do fun stuff. you will surely find lots of women on here that lose weight with their 1200 calories, but i believe you might be hard pressed to find a person who has maintained long term with only 1200, even at 5'2. im 5'5 on a tall day :)
  • Shaylyn1986
    You ladies look great!

No it's not.

"The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute suggests that sedentary women weighing less than 165 pounds generally need 1,000 to 1,200 calories daily to effectively lose weight"

this doesn't go into what truly sedentary is... but im assuming if you take showers, do dishes, walk to your car, go shopping, chase after a child, stand up at work... literally anything, you will probably be at least lightly active. i think you will be hard pressed to find a woman that can sustain themselves on 1200 daily (without having disordered eating (not an eating disorder)) while having energy to do fun stuff. you will surely find lots of women on here that lose weight with their 1200 calories, but i believe you might be hard pressed to find a person who has maintained long term with only 1200, even at 5'2. im 5'5 on a tall day :)

I'm pretty sedentary and even work from home two days a week which is why MFP probably recommended it. I eat 1200 cal a day 4 days a week and the other 3 days don't track but eat what I want in moderation. I've done this for 5 years now and maintained my weight loss. :] I think I've found the low-cal foods I like and fill me up.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    rollin_dirty_with_ol_ironsides-70761.gif

I ALMOST spit water across my desk when I came to this...DANJA Zone!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    You ladies look great!

Regardless, it is virtually impossible for you to have gained muscle at a deficit. Unless you were eating at a surplus those four months, you were most likely "stretching" your shirts from glycogen/water retention (especially true if you were doing all this lifting at a heavy deficit). In the same way you don't think, "Wow, my stomach's gotten so fat/bulky!" from retaining water around your period, holding water in your muscles after working them isn't "bulking" you permanently.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member

This is garbage. A 40-year-old woman who is 5'2 and weighs 135 lbs has a BMR that is higher than 1200. Do you know what BMR is? Do you know what it means? If you think there is anything reasonable about the recommendation to which you linked, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer to both of those questions is a big fat "no."
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    You ladies look great!

oh brother, no.

and if you were looking bulky it is because you were eating too much.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

This is garbage. A 40-year-old woman who is 5'2 and weighs 135 lbs has a BMR that is higher than 1200. Do you know what BMR is? Do you know what it means? If you think there is anything reasonable about the recommendation to which you linked, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the answer to both of those questions is a big fat "no."

K now I am going to be mean, actually down right mean, not the "MFP Mean" where I say weigh your food

The Poster who says crossfit and 1200 calories made her bulky so she had to stop

GET OFF THIS THREAD

This thread is to celebrate woman who got their results from lifting heavy not to misinform people with inane misinformation that has no relevance to the actual discussion here...it's called baiting, trolling and hijacking a thread...now begone with your "bulky" self while the rest of us celebrate our hard earned curves.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    You ladies look great!

TIL: Crossfit everyday = sedentary lifestyle.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    You ladies look great!

If you're doing crossfit everyday you don't have a sedentary lifestyle.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Bumping for info and inspiration ! Great job!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member

This isn't even a reliable source you are quoting from. Get off the thread fail troll.

PS you might want to check your comp for mal/spyware, too.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member

K now I am going to be mean, actually down right mean, not the "MFP Mean" where I say weigh your food

The Poster who says crossfit and 1200 calories made her bulky so she had to stop

GET OFF THIS THREAD

This thread is to celebrate woman who got their results from lifting heavy not to misinform people with inane misinformation that has no relevance to the actual discussion here...it's called baiting, trolling and hijacking a thread...now begone with your "bulky" self while the rest of us celebrate our hard earned curves.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

I said everyone looked great but it isn't for me and how I felt.

Welcome to the internet where we have opinions.
    The fact that women get bulky heavy lifting is not an opinion, it is a harmful myth. People use this thread for motivation and inspiration, I have it posted to my profile so I can copy/paste it over to welcome newbies who are interested in lifting but worried that they'll look like Schwarzenegger. Lifting while in a deficit is important because it preserves lean muscle mass and will give you better composition, lifting at maintenance is also good for preserving muscle mass, lifting in a surplus, you will add some muscle, but very slowly and it will not look bulky EVER unless you are eating like a bear before hibernation and lifting like, well, Shwarzenegger. Those facts need to get out there and muddying up the water with the notion that ladies can get bulky eating 1200 calories a day and doing crossfit is doing these new readers an injustice.

Edit for spelling error.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I said everyone looked great but it isn't for me and how I felt.

Welcome to the internet where we have opinions.

Opinion=not really for me

Inane misinformation=cross fit made me bulky
    Inane misinformation=Cross fit = heavy lifting
    Inane misinformation=1200 calories a good calorie goal for woman trying to lose weight
    Inane misinforation=1200 is recommended for woman 5 ft 2 and sedentary (MFP would only recommend if you put 2lbs a week in)

The internet is also good for research not just posting random things as facts when in fact are bogus and misinformation.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!