How many MFP friends can you effectively support?

I had a lot friends on my MFP list and I try to offer support to all who log in. I started deleting those who do not log in and are not family or where not friends before MFP. I see people with more that a hundred friends. How can you support that many people? How do you keep up with their goals and offer meaningful comments on diet and exercise?

Replies

• BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    agree....I have a few, but I don't really want a lot. I'm sure there are many wonderful people on this site, but if you cant keep up, what's the point?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Need to work on your endurance.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    I have hit my max at about 15 friends. Anything beyond that and I can't keep them straight.
  • themtron
    themtron Posts: 57 Member
    I'm good at around 20...
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    I'm good with just a handful anything over 30 is too much for me.
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Agreed. I have a core group of people who I support and support me. But yea, I agree, some people are just into collecting friends so they can collect compliments for their egos, it seems.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    A couple if they eat small and don't mind sharing a bed.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    i have 80 something it not to hard. the harder part are the one wo don't log anything or talk. there tricky but that is very low most post some thing
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member

:huh:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    I think too many at one time makes it difficult to develop a relationship. Like being introduced to too many people at once. But as time and familiarity build, it gets easier to remember who is who. If I didn't have the number I have, I wouldn't have many friends to talk to as most have dropped out. The attrition level here is huge.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I actually enjoy reading and getting tips through open diaries and I also get motivated when I see a weight loss post or someone has achieved a goal whether it's big or small and honestly I am very detailed and I like encouraging and motivating others to help them along their journey as they have helped me. I work full-time, volunteer, workout etc... along with being a mom to three great daughters but there is always time to post a sentiment or encouraging note and I do mean every word I post and I do read every diary and every post that I see before commenting...sometimes my reply is short but true and sometimes it's longer and also true....but I don't expect my MFP pals to always post, life does get in the way sometimes and sometimes people need a break from logging, I just happen to really enjoy it! take care - rose
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    I have 35 and my max is 50 because sometimes people comes and goes...and some are not really active
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    I don't turn down friend requests and always try to comment when Pals post. Keeps people motivated. Delete ones who haven't been on in along time....
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

:huh:

Not with me obviously. I mean, they can eat with me of course, but the bed thing, no....

(I'm an acrobatic sleeper, you see.)
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    I have a bunch on my friends list and tend to have about 20 or so that I really support because I have gotten to know them, and you can see by there postings that they are super dedicated. ;) they are also usually the ones that support me as well ;) I have a lot on my list that never post anything, but yet they are on there everyday still ;) you do your best ;)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    I admit I am a terrible friend. I do feel somewhat bad about it. I think it's partly because, I am self motivated. Maybe a tad lazy too. I do add whoever makes a friend request. I do have my diary open to friends, so hopefully they don't feel, I don't contribute at all.

I do love to read the message board, and like to contribute at times.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I had a lot friends on my MFP list and I try to offer support to all who log in. I started deleting those who do not log in and are not family or where not friends before MFP. I see people with more that a hundred friends. How can you support that many people? How do you keep up with their goals and offer meaningful comments on diet and exercise?

I don't usually. There are a few people who I interact with a lot, but generally if people want my input they ask on my wall or via PM.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    I support whatever is on my newsfeed. For those that do not log in after a certain period of time I just delete.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I've been here awhile so part of it is that I've built up my list gradually. I didn't add 140 people overnight. Some of my friends I know much better than others. Some I chat with daily; others I just offer a "good work!" if I happen to see that they've posted exercise or reported a loss.

I have gotten much pickier about who I add though, since I do want to feel like I at least know who the people on my list are when I see them on my news feed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

In!