doctors ordered no exercise lose 5kg before christmas HELP!

i need some help. ive been on bed rest for the past 3 days (looking forward to another few days) because of my hip/pelvis/back. doctor wants me to lose 5kgs at least before christmas to help ease the strain.

i CANNOT do any form of exercise because now i have my walking cane pretty much attached to me. i can do sitting weights and things like the elderly do (calestetics? spelling??) but no swimming, no walking, no situps or pushups and no weight bearing exercise.

HELP.

besides a shake diet, i have zero idea on what to do. *im allergic to most fruit and veg so please dont say SALAD because that will render me hospitalised unless you have a spinach recipe :(:(:( *

Replies

• sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    He ordered this but didnt order a dietician to help you accomplish it?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Could you try punches for getting the heart rate up? Can do those seated. Other than that, most of my weight was lost just paying attention to calories in/calories out. Change your settings to sedentary with no exercise to get your daily intake. Use protein and carbs to keep you full. Lots of water. Also something to keep your hands busy...early start on Christmas cards, notes to dear friends, crafts. I hope this helps.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    I agree with sunsetzen. You may need a dietitian to assist. If your doctor did not recommend one, find another doctor for a second opinion and consultation. In my opinion, the first doctor failed to do his/her job when they failed to give you a path forward.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    you aren't talking about a lifetime of no exercise, right? so you can't exercise for a week or two? weight loss happens in the kitchen anyway, just figure out your sedentary cal intake per day and stick to it. it doesn't have to mean shakes - just have lean proteins (chicken, leaner cuts of meat), lower fat cottage cheese, eggs) with whatever vegetables and fruit you CAN have, and a bit of carbs. maybe if you tell us what you CAN eat it will be easier tohelp you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Weight loss is all about diet. Exercise is unnecessary and irrelevant to losing weight. Eat less calories than you burn. That's it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    He ordered this but didnt order a dietician to help you accomplish it?

^^^^ this! especially as you also have a fruit allergy, so your diet's already restricted. Ask to be referred to a dietician for a meal plan you can stick to to achieve this. Weight loss without exercise is possible. It's not ideal as there's a risk of loss of muscle mass and bone density, but if you succeed in losing enough fat to ease the strain on your joints maybe you can do exercise later on, and have a lot more options.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Weight loss is all about diet. Exercise is unnecessary and irrelevant to losing weight. Eat less calories than you burn. That's it.

QFT.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Low carb high fat helped me by eliminating a lot of my pain (cutting way back on processed foods) and I've lost a good 15 lbs. Without exercise. Check out these groups on mfp:. Keto, reddit keto, low carb high fat forum.....a lot of people disagree about eliminating carbs but it's helped with my pain......that's a big deal to me !!!!!!!!! (Not mention killed my sweet tooth) I wish you luck and hope you feel better :flowerforyou:
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    you aren't talking about a lifetime of no exercise, right? so you can't exercise for a week or two? weight loss happens in the kitchen anyway, just figure out your sedentary cal intake per day and stick to it. it doesn't have to mean shakes - just have lean proteins (chicken, leaner cuts of meat), lower fat cottage cheese, eggs) with whatever vegetables and fruit you CAN have, and a bit of carbs. maybe if you tell us what you CAN eat it will be easier tohelp you.

QFT
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    i need some help. ive been on bed rest for the past 3 days (looking forward to another few days) because of my hip/pelvis/back. doctor wants me to lose 5kgs at least before christmas to help ease the strain.

i CANNOT do any form of exercise because now i have my walking cane pretty much attached to me. i can do sitting weights and things like the elderly do (calestetics? spelling??) but no swimming, no walking, no situps or pushups and no weight bearing exercise.

HELP.

besides a shake diet, i have zero idea on what to do. *im allergic to most fruit and veg so please dont say SALAD because that will render me hospitalised unless you have a spinach recipe :(:(:( *

He told you to lose 5kg before Christmas? That seems odd. Just do the exercises that he told you to do. As far as food goes, since you like spinach, try replacing some of the more calorie/fat-dense foods with spinach, while still making sure that you get as many of your nutrients as possible. Work on a calorie deficit, too.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    ^^^^^this^^^^^^ re exercise, although it helps flabbiness, do not oncern yourself with not being able to exercise. If I were you I"d cut back on carbs. No bread, pasta, rice, beans, and small amounts of whole grains. Stay away from processed stuff and you"ll have little problems.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Just eat what you can at a deficit. Set yourself at sedentary at the 'lose 2 lbs a week' setting and weigh all your food to make sure you're not overeating, and that's it. You might have to limit carbs just because they don't always fill you up as much as protein, but they're not evil.

Although losing 5 kgs in less than 1.5 months seems highly unhealthy to me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    I agree with the low carb in your case, for a temporary situation to get weight off quickly with no exercise. Once you are back on your feet, you can change things up to transition into a more long term approach.

ETA and spinach salads are great. Surely you can't be allergic to EVERY vegetable out there. Just eat the ones you can, combined with proteins and healthy fats. Cutting out sugar and starchy carbs will lower your appetite so that you can stick to a low calorie level, making the weight loss happen.

And eliminating processed sugar and starches, (especially wheat) helps a lot of people with inflammation, and lowers pain levels. It works wonders for me with my spine and joint issues.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    So you basically have 6 weeks to lose 11lbs. Unless overall you have well over 30 lbs total to lose (like 100 or more) then losing at a rate of 2 lbs per week is not healthy and may not be doable. (the less weight you have to lose - the slower it comes off)

However, the key here is that a calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss. You can do it w/o exercise. Figure out what a 2 lb per week deficit is and stick to it.

(By the way, I have lost 38 pounds total and all w/o eating "salad") I love spinach as well and make sautéed spinach often.

Don't do the shake thing.. eat real food! Good Luck!
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Since you're having trouble being on your feet, I assume that cooking is a problem? If you can be up for short periods try to cook a big batch of something healthy/low calorie that you can eat for lunch or dinner for about 4 days at a time. If someone is around to help you maybe they can help with the cooking. That will help stop you from ordering a big, high calorie pizza or chinese, etc. If you do order in, cut calories where possible. Thin crust pizza has far fewer calories than regular crust. Watch your portion sizes. When I first started trying to lose weight a month or so ago, I was too tired to exercise. I lost my first 10 lbs (edit: 4.5 kg--according to Google, but that sounds like a wrong conversion?) just by watching how much I ate. I wasn't even aiming for a healthy diet at that point. You can definitely do this. That said--I totally agree with the other people who said you should find a dietician. This should be a long term weight loss goal, not just for now until Christmas and a dietician will definitely help you achieve this, especially since you have such restrictive dietary needs. FWIW on the spinach, I personally love a big spinach salad with vinegar or lemon on it instead of dressing, or a homemade dressing with 3 parts lemon juice, 1 part oil and a little garlic.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

He told you to lose 5kg before Christmas? That seems odd.

I feel for you and your situation... but, I agree that if your Dr told you to lose 5kg, ( which is about 10 lbs, correct? ) before Xmas, it's not just odd, he's a bit of a nutter. Unless, maybe he told you this a couple of months ago. I'd forget about this Xmas deadline, and simply set your MFP goals for a realistic goal. And as everyone else is saying, consult a nutritionist.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You can totally lose weight just with your diet and it doesn't have to be eating fruits and veggies. Be meticulous about weighing and measuring your food, set a budget at sedentary and stick to it. There is absolutely no need for you to do any exercise in order to be successful and you have a significant amount to lose so this is totally possible to happen.

BTW, baby spinach makes a great salad and you can eat bushels of it for next to no calories.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    This seems kinda weird all around. Honestly it sounds like you have bigger issues going on than x-mass coming up.

I'd say up your protein a lot. If fruits and veggies are an issue. Up meats. chicken, steaks, etc. with fat on them too.In the end it would be better to go talk to a nutritionist or someone who can see you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I agree that you don't need to exercise to lose weight. In some respects, it's a hindrance to weight loss (though not to fitness).

I wonder if the 'ordered' is your own interpretation of the doctor's words. Perhaps he said it was feasible by Christmas, or he said he would like to see you that weight by Christmas back when he saw you in Sept. or something?
  • Don't ask us. You need to talk to your doctor, Also. What kind of back hip problems are you having. I had l5/s1 fusion because of it and cold not walk further than 5 steps when I had surgery. So I understand. 2. Ask your doctor for a recommended nutritionist to help. With food allergies we could recommended something that is actually unhealthy for you. 3. Physical therapy to prescribe exercises that will not only help you get mobility back but keep you safe. I would think having been through this that water would be one of the best exercises as it is weightless environment but your doctor knows better. Listen to those with a degree not ose if use who may not know. We could cause you further damage inadvertently.

Forgot to add in my experience the core being weak plays a hug part in lower back and hip problems. I have to do major core exercises to brace my back so it doesn't hurt and it was a weak core that caused my back injury to begin with. A physical therapist can help give you safe exercises.