3 months in. Progress update

Morning, just a brief history, after a summer of constant visits to the doctors and over 20 years of never giving a thought to what I eat, regular drinking at home, I decided enough was enough. I started this journey on 15th august.

To be honest I spent the first 2 weeks saying "Steve you can't do this" still to this day I can't believe what I have achieved so far!

I made dozens of changes from day 1, for example, went to 1 sugar on a coffee rather that the 2 I had had the past 30 years. Now I have non. Stopped drinking at home, could quite easily have 4 cans of lager 4 nights a week. Started getting out on my mountain bike, that had not moved out the garage for 9 years. I measured every item I eaten and exercised every day.

When I take something on like a new hobby for example I always hit it hard, I'm happy to say this has become a bit like that, I'm a bit of an obsessive.

Started off doing 3.75 mile on off rd on my mountain bike, the strange thing was I loved it, being out in the Cheshire countryside, don't get me wrong I ached all over for weeks, but steadily my fitness improved and slowly increased the distance. Today I try to do 20 mile, in fact I'm off out in an hour and that's my plan. 20 mile off rd. I can't believe I'm saying it let alone doing it.

Now 3 months in I'm loving it. I have just turned 40 and I plan to spend the second half of my life far fitter than the first half. My wife an kids bought me a new bike for my birthday. Thanks Hun!

Another driving factor in this was my family. I love them dearly and I love my life.

Since starting this I have now stopped visiting the doctors, stopped using my inhalers, feel bursting with energy and the strangest thing of all is I love it. I have made 100s of small changes to my life and everyone around me can see the results.

I still have a drink, I have the odd take away, I love to eat out with my wife along with a few beers.

This is coming from someone who was convinced they couldn't do it. I'm proof that you can! One thing I would say is that a lot of this is a mindset. If you don't want to do it you won't. You can't convince someone to do this. I know there a people on here that that lost a great deal more than me, but I'm proud, I have an internal smile no one can see, also some fantastic friends on here that help me along the way. I still have a long way to go but here's to the future! Thanks for listening. check out the profile picture, this shows what 33lb in 3 mouths looks like.

Steve

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Congratulations on your achievement so far. All the changes add up! Good for you.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Awesom!!! A true life style change... keep on Biking !!!!
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Good for you!
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Congratulations on making such monumental changes to your health and your future! You've accomplished so much in such a short time!! Keep it up!
  • Congrats. I've only been doing this for a week and I can tell this is a doable program. Your success is proof of that. Keep up the good work
  • Cycling is the way forward for me too, learned to love my bike
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Sounds like you're doing fantastic! Congrats on the lifestyle change, and being 33 pounds less!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Brilliant results.
    You chose the baby steps method, changing little things here and there and they do add up, you have proved that.

Love your attitude and love of life and your wife.
  • Brilliant... we are truly like peas in a pod :-)
  • Riggers1612
    Riggers1612 Posts: 52 Member
    Brilliant... we are truly like peas in a pod :-)

Peas in a pod! That's us Chris.
  • Riggers1612
    Thanks for all the great comments.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    That's SO awesome, Steve!!!!!!!!!! You are a true inspiration with how you've changed your habits and lifestyle. You are really lucky to have such a supportive family, too. You've probably inspired them too. Friending you so I can watch your progress and cheer you on from the sidelines! You ROCK! :)
  • Riggers1612
    That's SO awesome, Steve!!!!!!!!!! You are a true inspiration with how you've changed your habits and lifestyle. You are really lucky to have such a supportive family, too. You've probably inspired them too. Friending you so I can watch your progress and cheer you on from the sidelines! You ROCK! :)

Jasmine, thanks for the kind words, added you. ????
  • Riggers, you're a badass. I got amped reading your post, and I feel really buoyed by your progress and your positivity. Congratulations, and thanks for inspiring the rest of us!
  • Riggers1612
    Riggers, you're a badass. I got amped reading your post, and I feel really buoyed by your progress and your positivity. Congratulations, and thanks for inspiring the rest of us!

Nice to know but hard to believe I can inspire someone. Thanks for the kind words, please explain the meaning of the words amped and buoyed, not something I have heard in the UK.
  • So motivating! Congrats
  • Riggers, you're a badass. I got amped reading your post, and I feel really buoyed by your progress and your positivity. Congratulations, and thanks for inspiring the rest of us!

Nice to know but hard to believe I can inspire someone. Thanks for the kind words, please explain the meaning of the words amped and buoyed, not something I have heard in the UK.

Haha! You may as well believe me. I don't stand to gain much by lying on a My Fitness Pal forum.

Amped is slang and originated from the word amplified. In this context, I'm using the word to say I'm "fired up" or excited. A bouy is a flotation device--like the ones you see bobbing around to mark boundaries in the water, and "buoyed" literally means to be kept afloat. Although here, I'm using the word figuratively to say that I feel heartened, inspired, or up-lifted .
  • Riggers1612
    Riggers, you're a badass. I got amped reading your post, and I feel really buoyed by your progress and your positivity. Congratulations, and thanks for inspiring the rest of us!

Haha! You may as well believe me. I don't stand to gain much by lying on a My Fitness Pal forum.

Amped is slang and originated from the word amplified. In this context, I'm using the word to say I'm "fired up" or excited. A bouy is a flotation device--like the ones you see bobbing around to mark boundaries in the water, and "buoyed" literally means to be kept afloat. Although here, I'm using the word figuratively to say that I feel heartened, inspired, or up-lifted .

Ha ha. Glad to of helped and it's great that I can make someone feel this way
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Great job!
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member

Amped and buoyed is my new favorite phrase!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!