Fed up, and confused. Please help me!

Okay i've had many accounts on mfp. I know i need to eat more than 1200 calories. i'm familiar with TDEE - 20% , scoobys calculator, IIFYM calculator and whatnot, but i just don't know what to do. All of these numbers and different methods have thoroughly confused me.

i'm 195lbs, 42% bf, 5'4 26 years old and obviously female. I work 6 hours a day in a warehouse, where i move heavy boxes, stock, and organize the store I am pretty much moving around for 4 out of the 6 hours.

On mfp what should i put down as my activity level? i've been going back and forth between lightly active and active, i do like to add in exercise calories (i wear a polar HRM) since i workout 5-6 days of the week. But what do i eat on my 1-2 rest days?

I would like to lose 1.5lbs a week, my main goal is to lose 60-70lbs and maintain or build some muscle. I lift heavy weights 4-5 days a week (generally takes me about 45 min) with 30 minutes of cardio afterwards.

I am just really confused. The last time i lost weight i was eating around 1500 total calories a day while still lifting and doing cardio, i was able to get down to 160lbs but my healthy choices didn't stick and i gained it back.

Replies

• bump
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    You said you lost weight eating healthy at 1500. So do that again?
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    when you figure out your TDEE-20% what is that number?
    I'd say you're fairly active.
  • This is what i enter into Scoobys calculator:

female
    195lbs
    64 inches
    26 years old
    katch mcardle formula- 42%bf

Activity- 3-5 hours of moderate exercise (i don't know if i should move it to strenuous due to my job) i have 2 heavy lower body days and 2 heavy upper body days and 1 fast paced mod weight total body day. plus 30ish mins. of cardio 5 days a week.

the numbers it gave me were:
    BMR- 1479
    TDEE- 2293
    TDEE -25%= 1720 calories and a 1.1lb loss per week.
    TDEE -20%= 1835 calories and a .9lb loss per week.

i'm just like anyone else and i want this weight gone, but i also like to eat and i don't like feeling famished.

SO if i were to use this method, do i just not log my exercise calories on mfp? what would i change my activity level to on mfp to try and have it match the results from Scooby? And if i do log my exercise still do i eat those calories back like i normally would with mfp?

I know that some of this info is on the forum already from a couple of members who moderate the eat train progress group. But i just want it explained directly to me :laugh:
  • bump :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    If you do not use your BF as your method, your BMR is closer to 1680.
    My suggestion is to set your activity level (MFP method) to active and add your exercise calories back.

How do you calculate your BF? Did you get a caliper test done?
  • If you do not use your BF as your method, your BMR is closer to 1680.
    My suggestion is to set your activity level (MFP method) to active and add your exercise calories back.

I was under the impression that using the BF method was more accurate, due to someone who has a higher bf% burns less calories at rest than someone who has a lower bf%... ?

i have sat in a bodpod twice.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You're approaching it as if it's a Maths problem. Your body doesn't work as precisely as that. Pick a number. Try it for a few weeks. Assess results. Amend number. Repeat.
  • lisajsund
    Yes, people with a higher lean muscle composition burn more at rest.
    I've never done a bod pod test, would be interesting to see how it compares to the caliper test.
    Looking at your pic, you don't look like you are 42% BF. :smile:
    However, if you don't eat enough, you will burn that lean tissue as opposed to fat.

And that is where I completely agree with melaniecheeks - you do have to find what works for you.

I was under the impression that using the BF method was more accurate, due to someone who has a higher bf% burns less calories at rest than someone who has a lower bf%... ?

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    you say you like entering your exercise to mfp, so forget the tdee method and use mfp's. i'd say activity level at your job is lightly active (start there), enter your exercise calories, eat them back. try that out for 3 to 4 weeks, and see where it takes you.
  • Yes, people with a higher lean muscle composition burn more at rest.
    I've never done a bod pod test, would be interesting to see how it compares to the caliper test.
    However, if you don't eat enough, you will burn that lean tissue as opposed to fat.

And that is where I completely agree with melaniecheeks - you do have to find what works for you.

lol thanks, i never gain weight in my face and neck
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Personally, TDEE - 20% with a lot of slip ups has worked wonderfully for me. I started at just over 200lbs and I'm down to around 165. It's taken about 8 months to drop those 30 something pounds but I'm never hungry, I have room for junk and most important to me (because it's easier to not have to think about it). I have a consistent number to aim for every day.

Good luck!
  • lisajsund
    I would say active, at a minimum, as your activity level, since you work at a warehouse and move a LOT!
    I would also decrease your goal to 1 lb per week.

So, if your BMR is 1480, multiply by 1.55 and subtract 500. This would be a great number to start with.

You will still eat your exercise calories back on those days.

Probably will want to adjust the number after a couple of weeks if you are not seeing the results your want. It's possible because of your active job, you may even need to up your activity level.

Just want to make sure you are eating enough to burn that fat right off and maintain that lean tissue you do have! Also, do you weight lift when you work out? That would be a great way to build that lean tissue as well!
    Yes, people with a higher lean muscle composition burn more at rest.

lol thanks, i never gain weight in my face and neck
  • IsaacHudson
    IsaacHudson Posts: 33 Member
    You're approaching it as if it's a Maths problem. Your body doesn't work as precisely as that. Pick a number. Try it for a few weeks. Assess results. Amend number. Repeat.

This.

Also remember your goal calories are going to change (decrease) as you lose weight.
  • slimchix
    slimchix Posts: 1 Member
    You need to eat regular food... no low fat., fat free etc etc
    chicken eggs and fish.. red meat 2 x per week..
    fresh fruits and veggies..use regualr oil and viengar on salads
    have white carbs 3 - 4x per week yes pasta bread corn and rice
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    I am 5'3". I weigh 115lb. I work in a factory that is more walking than anything. I have myself set at "lightly active" and maintain at 1580 Calories a day.

I would stick with the 1600 a day and not enter anything for work. Just your regular exercise. Wait about 2 weeks and see how it has worked.