Eating Disorder Help

2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    EDNOS is a very broad category. Along with therapy (and potentially medication) maybe you need a "cheerleader" in your life. Personally I decided as an adult it was time to put my big girl panties on, suck it the hell up and just do what was required to lose weight. I may not be 100% happy all the time now, but I can live with myself and the negativity isn't as loud.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Based on your BDP I would recommend finding a therapist that does either dialectical behaviour therapy or psychodynamic psychotherapy (Psychoanalytic). DBT is often the most recommended therapy to help BPD but psychodynamic psychotherapy has better long term outcomes.

*Edit* I'm going to assume that you're not actually hearing voices and this is your own self-talk. Just try to monitor what you say to yourself and bring it to your counsellor to get help working through it. They can probably help you with some CBT type work to help you with your self-talk.

I am doing DBT and schema with my current therapist.

That's good :)

Otherwise I would recommend finding out the number for your local distress line (most areas have one) they're probably a better source for community referrals for where you can go in your area. Plus, usually they're available 24/7 if you ever need help.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Muscles need calories. If you dont have enough muscle, you will end up looking flabby.

Uh....
    tumblr_mi1mtbOJqE1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Dont act like the amount of muscle you have wont effect your bodyfat percentage.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Okay, first off - what are you trying to achieve in this thread?
    What are you looking for? You need to pinpoint it.
    Are you looking for people to help you work through the 'what's going on and whys' of your disorder, or are you looking for kind words and the general fuzzy feeling of 'you're not alone'?

I am trying to figure out how to get help.
    And maybe find some people with real life experience to make me not feel so alone.
    2d26e43a-2012-4002-ac63-d3826f190579_zpsad5aa515.jpg
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I needed antidepressants. It turns out that my 'low self-esteem' was bad wiring in the brain ;) I was constantly trying to ignore the ridiculous ruminating thoughts I had even though I knew I wasn't meaning to think them, if that makes sense. In any case, medication stopped the incessant self-hatred sounding thoughts I had! I was still depressed and still needed therapy, but I tell you 90% of it was my stupid head playing those thoughts again and again no matter how much I tried to change them.

It was a bit like magic :) Don't be afraid of trying medicines, imho. Research and be smart, but be smart in both directions and keep an open mind to it, too, I say. Of course I would say that with my personal experience :D

Take care.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Okay, first off - what are you trying to achieve in this thread?
    What are you looking for? You need to pinpoint it.
    Are you looking for people to help you work through the 'what's going on and whys' of your disorder, or are you looking for kind words and the general fuzzy feeling of 'you're not alone'?

I am trying to figure out how to get help.
    And maybe find some people with real life experience to make me not feel so alone.

I am sure your therapist will have some suggestions on how to get help. If not, see your GP.
  • kaitlinallard
    kaitlinallard Posts: 2 Member
    Muscles need calories. If you dont have enough muscle, you will end up looking flabby.

This does not help. An eating disorder is a mental illness, not someone who wants to be skinny.

Yea but if you keep that in mind, it might inspire you to eat. :flowerforyou:

I don't think you understand how eating disorders work.
  • Muscles need calories. If you dont have enough muscle, you will end up looking flabby.

This does not help. An eating disorder is a mental illness, not someone who wants to be skinny.

Yea but if you keep that in mind, it might inspire you to eat. :flowerforyou:

I don't think you understand how eating disorders work.
  • "I don't know what to do. I have just been diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified). I am scared. I can't force myself to eat because of the voices in my head, telling me that I am worthless, fat, that I am disgusting and don't deserve food. How do I make them stop?"

I'm not a therapist or anything so just giving out an opinion and I see from reading the posts that you are seeing one but maybe if you start seeing the positives in the foods it could help change your thoughts about them and yourself mentally. I don't know your background or anything so don't know how much you know about nutrition but perhaps start to look at the nutrition values of the food and not that its a 'bad' food or a 'good' food but like 'i just gave my body this much energy', 'i just gave it some vitamin C, protein, etc' and how your wonderful body is going to benefit from the yummy nutritionists foods because you do deserve food and you are not worthless :)
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    I have little advice that hasn't already been said, but I wanted you to know I can relate. I am in long-term recovery from my own EDNOS. I would exercise to exhaustion and limit my food intake to the bare minimum. I wasn't considered anorexic since, but the need to control what I ate encompassed my life. I also have ment health issues, although they don't emulate your own.

The best advice I can give is to continue pursuing professionals for help. The therapist you see currently may have ideas on what would work best for you. Exercises to do while in therapy with them, or things you can do at home. Group therapy can be helpful if you are to a point in your recovery that being around others in a similar position helps you. Having people who "get it" to talk to can be a huge relief. Having friends/loved ones you know being aware of your ED and acting as cheerleaders to help you focus on your goals can help too. It can also be very helpful to make goals. Even if it's just "I will eat 500 more calories this week" or "I will limit my Internet interaction with others who promote EDs". Make goals, keep them, make new ones, and then keep going.

I wish you the best of luck. *hug*
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating seeks help and support for their disease. Please make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/
This discussion has been closed.