Post-meal sugar spike?

mfigurski
mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
How much does your sugar typically spike after a meal? My fasting glucose these days is about 112. Today I had a small chili and a grilled chicken go wrap from Wendys for lunch, which is about 45g of carbs. I didn't take my metformin for about 45 minutes after I ate, but when I checked my sugar about 2 hours after eating, it was at 198. Maybe the metformin didn't take effect yet? I usually try to stick to 60 carbs or less per meal, is that too much?

Replies

• Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    It all depends on each individual case. My doctor said that Metformin does not lower the glucose rapidly after a meal (Insulin does that) but it helps keeping the HbA1C on optimal glycemic control. I know what food triggers spikes for me and I try hard to avoid or minimize portions from that group. You might need to record the meals that give you highs and act accordingly. It is all hard work and frustration...but it works. Good luck!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    How much does your sugar typically spike after a meal? My fasting glucose these days is about 112. Today I had a small chili and a grilled chicken go wrap from Wendys for lunch, which is about 45g of carbs. I didn't take my metformin for about 45 minutes after I ate, but when I checked my sugar about 2 hours after eating, it was at 198. Maybe the metformin didn't take effect yet? I usually try to stick to 60 carbs or less per meal, is that too much?

Only your meter can tell you if 60 carbs per meal is too much. At 2 hours post-prandial, a reading of 198 should indicate to you that those particular 45 grams of carbohydrates wasn't the best choice.

Here are three different explanations of eating to your meter. Basically, rather than following a set number of carbs per meal, you evaluate a particular meal using meter readings before eating and then at your peak. To reduce the possibility of diabetic complications and achieve tight control, you really want peak readings no higher than 140 and 2 hour post prandial readings no higher than 120.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php ( I also HIGHLY recommend reading the rest of this site!!)

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/03/14/testing-101/
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member

45 grams of carbs may be too much in one sitting, especially if it contains wheat. And wheat can affect BGs for over 2 hours. It's one of those things that digest slowly. There is a book written by a diabetic cardiologist called 'Wheat Belly'. It's quite popular and quite telling! He was able to get his diabetes under control, to non-diabetic blood sugars, by simply eliminating wheat and introducing other types of breads. Really good read. I did it and went from a fasting blood sugar of 317 to the nice 70s and 80s. It also helped Greatly with weight loss. Good luck!
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    I have been trying to count and figure out a formula. It seems for every carb my bg goes up 3. So if I start at 85 and have 20 carbs, my 1 hr pp is 145. I know different carbs affect bg differently and this isn't science, but I am trying to figure it out.

I went to Wendy's last weekend and had a Chicken BLT Cobb salad. It was awesome and 14 total carbs if you skip out on the croutons. I haven't stopped thinking about it, it's that good.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    It may have been the combination of the fat (assuming you had fried chicken in the wrap) with the carbs that probably did you in-- you have to look at the combinations of food too. Tortillas are high in carbs - can you avoid the tortilla next time and see if you do better?

I don't take my metformin as a meal time medicine to lower sugars- I take it at a set time every day-it works all day so it shouldn't matter when you took it as long as you did in fact take it, kwim.

Experiment with different foods and see how they affect you- check periodically and you will learn what you can and cannot eat.
  • mfigurski
    mfigurski Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you everyone for your input. Up until this point, I have been checking my sugar in the mornings and usually once more during the day/evening. I have tested after some particular meals to see what they do. I'm just gonna have to start measuring and testing more frequently. The 198 reading yesterday was definitely pretty darn high, but I actually don't know what my sugar was prior to the meal, so it may have been a combination of things.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    I used to take my metformin right before I ate until I got switched to a metformin that would self-regulate and ….gosh I'm drawing a blank…. ya know it would dispense in your body throughout the day????? Check that out. Could be the reason it's still so high. Plus, your doc/dietician should let you know how many carbs are okay for you at one meal…. Just a thought.