Do You Like It in the AM or the PM??

I am trying to figure out whether I should work out in the AM or the PM. I have read countless, and I mean countless articles that talk about the AM jump starts your metabolism, the PM revs it back up after a work day and gives you more burn for your PM calories if you don't eat to excess.

I am just trying to figure out what which one I should stick with. I have done the early AM and didn't see any real results. I am currenlty doing PM and I don't see any different results. I hate having to go home and work out when all I want to do is relax or run errands after work. I also hate waking up in the morning, I will fight tooth and nail for an extra minute of sleep.

So, I would like to know from maybe some personal trainers on the site who work with clients, when do you see the best results, those who workout in the AM or the PM.

For those who are not personal trainers, please feel free to chime in on your routines as well, as I would like to know if anyone ever started in the PM switched to the AM and had better results.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    I think it just matters when you're more likely to do it. I, myself, only have time during my lunch hour, so I go hard during that time to get the most out of it.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    I have exercised alll times of the day and night and can honestly say that I have never noticed any difference. Unless too close to bed...then I can't sleep.
  • ebonytabb
    ebonytabb Posts: 7 Member
    I have personally found that working out in the morning is the best for me. It makes me feel ready for the day and also I don't have to worry about anything getting in the way of me getting my workout in....you never know what the day is going to bring, so there'll be no excuses if you get it over with first thing in the morning.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    I am definitely a morning person. I like that I can get it out of the way and leave my evenings open for relaxation or whatever else.

Also, for me it gives me far more energy than a cup of coffee through out the day providing I fuel w/ good eats properly.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Wow OP, you just described me perfectly. I am starting out doing evening, just had to make time for it after work. Feel like a million bucks afterwards, and I know the am workout would make me feel better during the day, I just can't get out of bed for it.

One thought I recently had, what if I try to do a mini workout in the morning, maybe 15-20 minutes. That way I am not setting my alarm for an hour and a half earlier to get in an hour workout.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Do what suits you.

I'm much weaker in the mornings, no idea why, so prefer to work out later.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    For me morning works best. However, that is only because that way I get it done and will not have an excuse later not to do it.

I am finding now that i am waking up on my own now to go to the gym. My body is getting used to being up at 4:30 AM to go to the gym.
  • Evenings for me. Like my bed. Also lets me burn back some calories for a decent evening meal.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    It's a matter of convenience that I workout at night when the kiddo is asleep. I sleep so much better as well ...for some reason when I workout in mornings I feel tired by mid morning.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    I don't think it makes the slightest difference when you exercise ...or eat for that matter. It's YOUR weight loss that you are doing for YOU so it doesn't matter what anyone else says you should do. You exercise and eat at times to suit YOUR lifestyle.
    It's your total in put and output that counts.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,319 Member
    I work out in the morning - at times I need to work in that evening workout and for the most part I do not care for those evening workouts -- I do not tend to sleep very well, when I can finally get to sleep.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Oh. I thought you were asking about something else. :)

I like to exercise in the afternoon. I swim and the pools are less crowded in the hours from 2-4 and I can still beat the rush hour crowd home. I look to my swim as both exercise and an escape. When I am sharing the pool with stressed, hurried people, I just don't enjoy it!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do both. Working out first thing in the morning ensures that I get it done and nothing gets in the way of my workout. I also feel more awake and ready to start the day. I start the day with a feeling of accomplishment. I also workout in the evening. It gives me something to do between work and dinner, instead of going home to snack. It also helps me burn off any stress that may have built up during the day. It gives me something to look forward to all day. I have access to different machines at the gym in the afternoon than I have at home to use in the morning. So, different reasons for both. Both work for me. I get faster, better results doing both:)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I'm doing both right now, but I definitely prefer in the mornings. I like to get it out of the way and it gets me in a good mood. But I used to do my workouts VERY late at night/early mornings when I worked late at nights (I'd get home between 11pm and 2am) and I preferred that rather than doing my workouts in the later mornings when I would get up. So it just depends on your preference from what I've heard and experienced.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    I like to do my running in the morning. I feel like I put more effort into strength training when it's in the afternoon. Don't think it really matters as long as it works for you.
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    I workout my best in the afternoon after work. I have gone in the mornings, but I'm not able to give it the amount of energy that I can in the afternoon. And like another poster, I feel amazing after my afternoon workout.
  • sherry666
    sherry666 Posts: 36 Member
    I prefer night. I have more energy, and there's nothing like working out, showering, then curling up in bed to relax. Plus I sleep alot better. I've tried mornings, but I usually end up hitting the snooze and putting it off until night. I'm not a morning person... and getting up at 5:00 am when I go to bed at 12:30/1:00 am is not fun.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    It doesn't matter, as long as you get it done. I personally workout at night, just because I am not a morning person and feel way too crappy when I wake up to do anymore than I already have to!
  • Msmaddog1
    Msmaddog1 Posts: 7 Member
    I work out in the evening after work. I find it helps to control my night time eating, which has always been a problem for me... If I'm going to work out for an hour after work, and putting in all the effort...I eat more healthy right after I work out, which has helped my weight loss.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I have to do it early in the morning or it just won't happen at all. I am over the idea of working out by 2pm or so.