does anybody rollerblade?

I love to rollerblade. It is a great workout. When I looked up on the database how many calories it burns in an hour, it game a number that seem too high (over 700). I usually do some hills and go at a moderate speed on flat roads.
Anybody have an idea if this is close or way off?
Thanks and have a fit day.

Replies

• mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    I love to rollerblade. It is a great workout. When I looked up on the database how many calories it burns in an hour, it game a number that seem too high (over 700). I usually do some hills and go at a moderate speed on flat roads.
    Anybody have an idea if this is close or way off?
    Thanks and have a fit day.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    I just posted about this a couple of weeks ago actually. A lot of people on here roller blade or at least to. I know for me it's a really good work out. My wheels and bearings are not high speed and I am pushing a 50+ pounds stroller and boy so i am exhausted after 15 minutes. I think it probably depends on how hard you have to work. I know if I went for an hour I would be burning at least 700 cals. Not like I could go that far right now! my husband roller blades with me but he has high speed wheels and he barely breaks a sweat! I don't think he's burning as much as I am (plus he's skinnier too). Look on the web for calories burned and see what the different sites say. It might give you some kind of idea. Everyone on here is talking about a heart rate monitor. It's probably worth the expense if you can afford it. I'd like to have one but it's going to have to wait.
    I hope this helps!
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    I hear it's good excersise. However, I'm clumsy I could trip over a fuzzball on the floor so it's best I keep my feet firmly on the floor ;)

LOL
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I don't have rollerblades, but I do roller skate a lot. I got an expensive pair of skates for my last birthday and I love to use them. I have high speed bearings and all that good stuff too. I don't know exactly how many calories I burn, but I know it's a good workout and it's fun!
  • cpumpkins
    cpumpkins Posts: 15
    Hey there,
    I rollerblade alot, but for some reason I usually don't wear my heart rate monitor. ANyway, I suggest that you buy one...I love mine! I have one from POLAR. The number of calories you burn depends on your weight and your resting heart rate etc. Everyone is different. I've found that I burn fewer calories than what's posted on this website for biking. For example, I burn 450 calories biking 55 minutes to work, but I only burn about 360 calories biking 45 minutes on my way home from work. It depends on the time of day and how your metabolism is at that time. So, if I were you I'd go and buy a heart rate monitor. Good luck!!
  • Ihavangel
    Ihavangel Posts: 7
    I tried a couple of times, I think it was my 2nd time on them and I ended up breaking my wrist..:frown: And I can't even say I was doing some sort of cool trick or anything, I was getting up from puttingthem on and fell backwards....:embarassed:

I ened up giving them away to my Sister-in-Law...LoL
    I did think it was a great workout though

:heart:
    Kim
  • celverdi
    celverdi Posts: 15 Member
    I used to roller blade every afternoon when I was in high school. Back then I was an extremely trim 120 lbs, with legs to kill for. That was 9 years ago now. I went get my old roller blades out the storage closet the other day. Lets just say that I am defiantly not in the same shape I used to be. I don't know how many cals it burns, but I bet it is really high up there.

17569.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter