Finally took a picture today

I have always dreaded to put a picture up of my body, and I've read a lot that you should take a before picture so when you get reach your goal, you can see the difference. So I finally did it.

The only thing I have for weights are 20 pound dumbells, and that is it. I don't have access to a gym right now due to finiances, so what do you recommend on building my arms, chest and abs? I'm trying to make my diet work as well.

My legs are quite strong, but not flexible. I want my entire upper body to be strong and ripped. I'm really serious about this, and I've done so much studying on what works and what doesn't, but it seems people have different opinions. I can't even do one push-up. Only thing I've done the best is walking long distances.

Please give me feedback on my looks and my diary of food - and advice on what I need to do. Like I said in another post, my main goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• Welcome. My only advice is eat well and do cardio, then cardio, then more cardio. You will lose weight and as your fitness increases things like push ups, pull ups and insanity work outs will rip you. Go steady and remember the long game. Best wishes, shaun
  • How do you think I'm doing on my eating? I've listed everything I've ate since I started MFP.

I've been walking at least 4-5 times a week. I started out doing 2.5 miles in 27 minutes, then 3.7 miles in an hour, and then 5.1 miles in 98 minutes.
  • Yeah I just read that link, and I'm so confused right now.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    why are you confused?
  • I'm confused about all those technical words. I wish it was in more laymens terms. Sorry I'm just new to all of this.
  • meeper123
    what words are confusing you? I google words I don't know..
  • BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Ok like this above: How do you get these numbers, and why are they important? Or better yet, how do I get a precise measurement of what I am to exact numbers so I know exactly how to lose the most weight?
  • meeper123
    I believe it also provided links to figure all this out.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    bodyweight exercises can still be challenging, and i see alot of posters here doing DVDs. Walking is a great cardio workout and you seem to be moving at a good pace but if you want to change your body shape ie bigger chest/shoulder/arms its weight training or for you body weight training. I''m sure google/youtube can bring up lots of programs

I'm no expert but I would recommend starting with 3 weight training programs a week interspaced with your walking.

Also since you've done the dreaded photo, measure different body areas waist, hips thigh etc for starting reference, are you any good at spreadsheets? - put it all in and set it up with a weekly weigh in day and remeasure. Put in a short term goal (4 weeks or an event) Pin up spreadsheet in your bathroom anywhere that is visual to you.

I looked at your food diary and I think you are not quite there. Being young I guess finances are tight but you should be trying to incorporate more fresh produce into your diet. Do a tot up of how much you spend weekly, then think about what dinners you can make that might spread into 2/3 nights. Whole roast chicken, stir-fries, stews or one pots (yummly - is a good recipe website that you can look up for inspiration) do a Cooking night where you can cook in bulk and pack away into the fridge for the weeks lunch&dinner, also porridge & eggs are cheap for morning breakfast.

With your recent diagnosis you're a smart guy to revaluate your lifestyle and want to change it for a more healthy one - best of luck
  • Ok, that brings up another question. What do you mean by fresh produce? Does frozen vegetables count? I do not know how to cook a large meal thing without instructions that is. Honestly, my groceries come from food stamps, since I have no money coming in due to doctors telling me not to drive or work. I have measured my body, and put it in the MFP thingie. I do not like vegatable soup lol. I don't know what stir-fries are, and I have no idea how to make stew or whatever.

This is so hard!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Besides using MFP for calorie tracking, and cardio such as your walking (great start), check out YouTube videos for weight lifting at home. I didn't watch these, but they are search ideas to help you start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY ("15 minute beginner weight training.....")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARFQrK1B14 (10 minute home dumbbell workout...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eXyyazl3U (Beginner weight training for Men...)

Use water bottles, books or small laundry jugs to start with if your 20 pound dumbbells are too heavy. There are plenty of free videos on the web that you can sort through and find what may help and work for you. Cardio AND strength training along with healthier eating all work faster to reach your goals of weight loss and improved health. If you have health insurance that will cover your medical condition, perhaps your physician can refer you to a local physical therapy center where they can show you some exercises that will help you strengthen and maintain your muscles. Good luck on taking care of and taking charge of your health.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Also your doctors should be able to refer you to a dietician that can help you learn how to plan, prepare and eat healthy foods. Look on websites like the Multiple Sclerosis Active Source -it has references to fitness and diet just for your condition:

http://www.msactivesource.com/index.xml ( go to the Diet and Exercise link on left column)

The web is full of how-to videos and ideas on how to eat healthy. You can look around sites like the Mayo Clinic, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Assoc., National Institute of Health, they all have healthy eating tutorials and plans, recipe ideas and general help. Numerous cooking websites like Allrecipes.com have video tutorials. These MFP forums have some great ideas in their food and recipe sections.
  • Hi Skywalker, your walking is good, that's how I started and gradually moved onto more strenuous exercises. Bfitgirl put it more eloquently than me but your diet sucks, I had a quick look and I see a lot of pizzas and granola bars. Dude cooking is EASY. Cooking well is hard I grant you, but normal cooking is easy. For your lunches make some 2 slice sandwiches and graze on a bit of fruit or raw veg throughout the day. For dinners try putting some chopped chicken into a frying pan with a SMALL amount of veg oil, stir until nice and brown, add chopped veg, cook for a couple of mins, add a drop of soy sauce - stir fry done. serve with pasta/noodles. Or, small amount of veg oil in pan, add chopped onion and stir for 2 mins, add mince beef, stir cook until brown, add tin of chopped tomatoes, some herbs (italian/origano) if you like - bolognaise done. Serve with spaghetti. Or add kidney beans or backed beans and some chilli (flakes/powder/paste) to make chilli con carne, serve with rice. It's all as easy as that just experiment. Buy a cook book or look online for recipes. Replace your snacks with fruit (take a look at my diary). Bananas are filling, dates and figs are really nice and will give you the vitamins you need as well. Granola bars will not. Keep it up dude and may the Force be with you (I love Starwars too!)
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    There's lots of sites where you can get easy and quick receipes. Plus eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. You can spend the same amount on a pizza as you can some fresh fruit and vegetables. Maybe some rice and eggs.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Ok, that brings up another question. What do you mean by fresh produce? Does frozen vegetables count? I do not know how to cook a large meal thing without instructions that is. Honestly, my groceries come from food stamps, since I have no money coming in due to doctors telling me not to drive or work. I have measured my body, and put it in the MFP thingie. I do not like vegatable soup lol. I don't know what stir-fries are, and I have no idea how to make stew or whatever.

This is so hard!
    Ok don't panic!! Your view of life has been changed since your diagnosis and your aim is to change your lifestyle for the longterm good, remember you just don't want to 'go on a diet' that sounds short term and quick fix, think long term changes and take it one step at a time, they say a habit is only formed after 21 days so if you find the prospect of immediately overhauling your diet just change 1 meal until that sticks (breakfast is the easiest people find and I'd recommend porridge - 1kg bag is really cheap and will last you 3 weeks maybe) aim to incorporate at least one evening a week where it is a home cooked meal (listen I know where you are coming from, my husband can't or won't cook to save his life but he does not have the want and need you have to change). A frozen pizza costs maybe a little less than a chicken costs - put the oven up to 180 and stick a 1.2kg bird in for 1.30hr and see what comes out at the end- that my friend is cooking :smile: . Yes frozen veg are just as good as fresh if thats within you budget.
  • Jewbe
    Jewbe Posts: 25 Member

Thanks for the reddit tip!
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    I've been walking at least 4-5 times a week. I started out doing 2.5 miles in 27 minutes, then 3.7 miles in an hour, and then 5.1 miles in 98 minutes.

Dude, you are moving out! That is awesome that you can keep up that pace. I can't yet, but someday will!

Good luck on the way you are burning and going!