Do Cigarettes Have Calories?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    almost 5 years old thread?.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's what got me. Who on earth bumped this one? Betting the OP is no longer with us, or so damn thing she may as well not be.
  • jd895
    jd895 Posts: 1 Member
    \
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    almost 5 years old thread?.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh FFS, i bet the OP already either quit smoking or died from it by now. OMG what a waste of time. Damn search button!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Lol wow even though it is so old just wow
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    \

Strong first post. Good thread to choose. Longevity is a good thing.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    silly to ask i know, but do cigarettes have calories?
    I hear that they do because they have a small amount of sugar in them.
    I dont know if thats true or not.
    it wouldnt stop me, but i was just wondering because i basically smoke more than i eat.

sgw :smokin:

116647.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
    :huh: oh I actually never gave it much thought... I personally would be MUCH more concerned about the dangers related to health issues in smoking than if they have sugar/cals in them:noway:

But that's just me:blushing: .... eating healthy food is a much better choice than smoking.... much more satisfying and HEALTHIER the lifetime changes in healthy eating will get a person much further in life than smokes:smokin:

Lots of folks on here have given up smoking...you can see many many 'quit smoking' tickers....very cool indeed!! :bigsmile: :drinker:

oh and I actually don't think any question ask is silly :wink: :happy:

FC:heart:

Way to many emoticons for me. Distracted me from the content of the message. lol :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    no, but they will make you look like this

marilynmonroe-smoking.jpg

awesome right?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    You can sort of say they have calories, but it is really the other side that is the issue. They slow your metabolism causing your body to be less efficient at burning calories. It's the nicotine and other chemicals in the cigarettes that are the active ingredient, not the sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    You can sort of say they have calories, but it is really the other side that is the issue. They slow your metabolism causing your body to be less efficient at burning calories. It's the nicotine and other chemicals in the cigarettes that are the active ingredient, not the sugar.

They slow your metabolism? How is that? They are a mild stimulant.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member

I am wondering the same thing. When I quit smoking, I was told that my metabolism would slow down from quitting, and it seemed like it did. It was more difficult to keep my weight down for a while, but quitting was the best decision I ever made.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Who the hell bumps a post from 2009?
  • pinheadplanet
    pinheadplanet Posts: 24 Member
    You're not supposed to eat them blondie ;-)
  • Sarauk2sf

I am wondering the same thing. When I quit smoking, I was told that my metabolism would slow down from quitting, and it seemed like it did. It was more difficult to keep my weight down for a while, but quitting was the best decision I ever made.

I just did a bit of google-fu'ing.

There is actually a correlation with insulin resistance - but no proof of causation.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/801.full

Interesting though as the possibility is raised. [Note: the above was a quick research and I am sure that there are a lot more studies out there].

Obviously there are behavioral aspects of smoking that often lead to weight gain when stopping smoking.
  • nikilis

uhh..... what? if thats true, then why would a smokers BMI be higher, and drop when they stop?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I genuinely weep for humanity's future....
  • nikilis
    I genuinely weep for humanity's future....

to be honest, population control is probably a positive, we don't have the resources to sustain the projected population levels.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Just read about this thread elsewhere... need to bump, so I can come back later and read.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Just read about this thread elsewhere... need to bump, so I can come back later and read.

Quick summary: 5 year old post, bumped back into daylight, 21 yo smoker worried about the calories in cigarettes, told to stop eating the cigarettes and/or stop smoking.