Fed up of counting/planning

Replies

• ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    I think that most of us have gone down the very low calorie route at some point, that's how we find out it's not a good idea.
    Do you exercise at all? If you exercise and eat back your calories it gives you more scope for eating the sorts of things that seem to be making you nervous, you will be far less likely to worry about accidentally going over your limit. I find that exercise also helps to keep me calmer.
    As for planning, if you repeat a meal you can always directly copy it from one day to another, even if it's not exactly the same it's often quicker to edit rather than start from scratch.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Stop logging a week at a time.
    I believe people can have an addiction to food. And like with any addiction......take it a day at a time. I wouldn't plan more then a day in advance. Breathe! And just take baby steps. Good luck!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    I really think you should see a doctor. It sounds to me like you may have developed a disordered eating problem.

Agreed. Good luck.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    You really need to educate yourself about carbs, because it sounds TO ME at least, that you don't understand them.

If you're trying to lose weight it's as simple as calories out / calories in..... not carbs in/out

Try a week WITHOUT worrying so much about carbs and then see how you feel about it. Does this mean go hog wild and eat cookies, cake, etc? No. But if you enjoy a sweet like I do, try to fit it into your daily intake.... IIFYM / Flexible Dieting

Before you go see a doctor to talk to, like a lot of people suggest, try what I said. Don't log in advance either. This morning for example, I made 8 egg whites / 3 slices of toast / and a cup of turkey sausage crumbles.... I used the app and scanned the barcodes with my iPhone.... no typing involved. Log your food when you eat it.

But again, if you stay UNDER your caloric maintenance level, even if it's only 100 calories for a single day... YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

I concur.

Me too. Keep it simple
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Wow OP got some serious OCD issues. Your probably better off doing with one of th meal plan companys like nutri system.

don't be a ****

How so? Im not the only one that pointed this out. If someone is that OCD that they are stressed out because they feel the compulsion to plan there meals way in advance then a meal plan company like nutri system..ect..ect is probably a good idea even mental health wise.

Nutrisystem is a good way to get yourself malnourished. This is a woman who is trying to establish healthy eating goals, after a history of severe self restriction. Did you even read her post?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Why does it take hours to log your food? Takes me about 5-10 minutes to do a days worth of food. Your making this more complicating than it really needs to be.

And I only spend 2 minutes

I usually log a week in advance. The reason it takes so long is that if I'm not happy with a days worth of food, I will start again- I struggle to keep the level of carbs down.

why are you trying to keep carbs down?

I agree with others, it sounds like you have developed an unhealthy relationship with food...

takes me about 10 minutes to log...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I agree that you may have developed an eating disorder. It's not healthy to have such resentment toward food. I can see that you are miserable. Please find a professional with whom you can talk about these issues.

This. THIS. Please, see a professional. You're miserable now, and obsessing over something design to help, not hurt. Please see someone, it's not supposed to be this unpleasant or difficult. :heart:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I would see a professional too. Cognitive behavior therapy can really give you tools to re-frame how you see food. It will go from your enemy (that causes weight gain/fat) to your friend (giving you fuel to be strong). It's not an easy road, but going to 500 to 1,400 calories is a GREAT achievement, so you're off to very good start. Be proud of yourself and love yourself,
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    I can understand that you get tired of counting calories. But remember we are not perfect. There will be days where you may eat something you have not planned for , but that is ok , you can eat everything in moderation. Have you thought about trying to log as you eat as others have suggested? Or have you considered about not logging and weighing yourself to make sure you don't gain? Like others said carbs are not evil, you need them just as other nutritional elements, a piece of cake isn't evil either, you probably get more bang for your bucks by eating unrefined carbs, as they will keep you full longer, but a treat once in a while won't hurt you. If you deprive yourself too much, it will be difficult to maintain your new lifestyle and weight. Having lost weight before and regained it and much more; I can tell you that losing was the easier part. I did not realize that I had to make permanent lifestyle changes to maintain the loss. I had not shed the diet mentality and thought 'well after I'm done I'll go back to normal' , well after losing there is a new normal and we will have to learn to live the new lifestyle to maintain. People that are naturally slim do some of the things we have to learn just intuitively.. But I believe we will one day too as we get accustomed to the new lifestyle and the new weight.
    You can do this , just remember that you will learn as you go. Counseling can be a big help too. I am glad I did go and seek out professional help because the physical part is only one side of weight loss, the emotional side is just as important.
    I wish you all the best. Don't give up.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I would personally go talk to a doctor or therapist..I think you may be developing an eating disorder and should talk to someone as soon as possible before it becomes worse.it takes me about ten mins to plan out my meals and if I'm over sometimes, it's no big deal! It shouldn't consume your life.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I agree with others who say to seek professional help. The best of luck to you.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Wow OP got some serious OCD issues. Your probably better off doing with one of th meal plan companys like nutri system.

don't be a ****

How so? Im not the only one that pointed this out. If someone is that OCD that they are stressed out because they feel the compulsion to plan there meals way in advance then a meal plan company like nutri system..ect..ect is probably a good idea even mental health wise.

Nutrisystem is a good way to get yourself malnourished. This is a woman who is trying to establish healthy eating goals, after a history of severe self restriction. Did you even read her post?

I dont have any experience with nutrisystem so i dont know its nutritional information. I suggested a meal plan system because the OP said she was stressed out planning meals in advance which suggests some form of OCD. A pre determined meal plan would take alot of the stress off.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member

don't be a ****

As someone with actual obsessive compulsive disorder, nothing makes me more angry than when people throw it around like a verb. Protip she's not "obsessive compulsive disorder" about eating.

Please educate yourself on what OCD actually is, the compulsions involved, the fact that it is usually IRRATIONAL and the sufferers know that.

To the OP, I suggest you stop logging until you're capable of logging within reason and without such painfully strict adherence. Seek help if necessary.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I struggle to keep the level of carbs down.

Why are you trying to keep your carbs "down"?
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Try logging only a day at a time. You can't predict when you'll need to change something weeks in advance. It's causing you stress.

I'm really obsessive about calories, too. If I don't know exactly how many calories are in a food item, I will not eat it because I'm just too afraid it will put me over and I'll gain. I overestimate calories if I do eat something that I haven't accounted for (I plan my day out on MFP, then I delete it so I can log as I go in case something changes) and then I find that it's significantly less calories than I assumed (I had a tablespoon of sour cream at work and assumed it was like 150 calories, it was 30).

I do my best to let healthy loss and healthy food relationships prevail, but I do have EDNOS. You sound too much like me. Go to the doctor.
  • I think that most of us have gone down the very low calorie route at some point, that's how we find out it's not a good idea.
    Do you exercise at all? If you exercise and eat back your calories it gives you more scope for eating the sorts of things that seem to be making you nervous, you will be far less likely to worry about accidentally going over your limit. I find that exercise also helps to keep me calmer.
    As for planning, if you repeat a meal you can always directly copy it from one day to another, even if it's not exactly the same it's often quicker to edit rather than start from scratch.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Unfortunately the only exercise I get is walking. I don't have much time left to do anything else other than that as I'm working two days a week, and my load of uni work is huge!
  • I struggle to keep the level of carbs down.

Because I find that I retain weight if I eat a lot of them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I struggle to keep the level of carbs down.

Because I find that I retain weight if I eat a lot of them.

but that goes away after like two days if you are drinking enough water...that is temporary gain ...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

don't be a ****

I dont have any experience with nutrisystem so i dont know its nutritional information. I suggested a meal plan system because the OP said she was stressed out planning meals in advance which suggests some form of OCD. A pre determined meal plan would take alot of the stress off.

If you don't have experience with a product, why would you recommend it? It's pretty obvious to everyone who responded to the thread except you the person writing has some issues with food. Nutrisystem is a company that sellls prepacked food at an inflated rate to lure in people who believe in magic cures for losing weight. It wouldn't take any stress off because it wouldn't teach her how to have a healthy relationship with food - which is actually what is causing her stress.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member

don't be a ****

Stress does not define OCD, and being stressed over meal planning is not suggestive (by itself) of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Truth be told, a person doesn't even need to experience anxiety in order to have OCD. You may be trying to help, but if so, at least be a bit more informed about the help you are attempting to give.