IUD = weight gain, or is that just an excuse?

I had a contraceptive implant put in about 3 months ago and have noticed myself balloon 2 sizes. My stomach looks distended and pregnant and my face is totally bloated. I am tired all the time, low esteem and energy. I have come back to MFP but am terrified to weigh myself but I know that I have put on at least 1 1/2 stones in the past few months. I don't dress to impress any more, I "cover myself up". I'm thinking of having the implant removed but im not sure if its definitely the cause of my extreme weight gain. I wasn't aware that I was eating or drinking more than usual, but then again I wasn't paying attention.

Has anyone else with a type of IUD had this problem? Did you notice a difference when it was removed? Im getting really down about this.......

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I ballooned 14 lbs in two weeks after having been the same weight for years. I had it taken out 6 months ago but the weight still isn't coming off.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Which one do you have? I am due to have one next month and don't like the sound of this much!
  • Mine was a mix of both - it did bloat me significantly but it also increased my appetite which I fed! I was unhappy on it and so had it taken out. The weight will not fall off it will be extremely hard work. It might be worth weighing yourself, controlling portions and what you take into your body first before jumping to the conclusion that it is the IUD.

Good luck :smile:
  • Mine is the Nexplanon arm implant. Not everyone puts on weight, but a percentage does and I am at the stage that I would literally remove it myself I hate it so much, but I have to wait another week to have it removed.
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    An arm implant is not an IUD (intra-uterine device). I have a mirena and have suffered no ill effects.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Depends on the iud. Paraguard is non hormonal i had it for a year thoug and i hated it.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    An arm implant is not an IUD (intra-uterine device). I have a mirena and have suffered no ill effects.

^This.

They work in two very different ways. The implant that you have is circulating hormones through your entire system while IUDs tend to only work locally in the uterus.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member

This.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    I'm on my 2nd Copper T IUD (they can stay in for up to 10 yrs) and I've never had any problems with weight in addition they are hormone free.
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member

^This.

They work in two very different ways. The implant that you have is circulating hormones through your entire system while IUDs tend to only work locally in the uterus.

Good news for me then - I am getting the mirena :-) (still a bit scared though!)
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Also important to note that if you are on birth control pills and switching to an IUD, then even a hormonal IUD is going to be a lower hormone dose and have less averse effect on your body. The hormones are localised to the uterus and the dosage is much, much lower.

The mirena is amazing. It can be very painful to insert but if you have a good doctor that shouldn't be a problem. I have a very light period which I expect will eventually go away. I've had it for only a few months and am so pleased with it!

I have a few friends who are also on the mirena, none of whom have suffered any side effects, and certainly not battling with weight gain as a result of having it inserted.
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    I have a minera coil best thing I've done in ages - no changes in weight and its a perfect solution. I was told that if you can tolerate the pill then the coil would be fine.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    I had a Mirena IUD and I did gain weight and feel bloated. I had it for a year, but I only gained maybe 5 lbs and all symptoms subsided once it was removed.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I've had the Mirena for just over a year (I started here August 29th, I had it placed on September 4th). No weight gain, I was able to lose all that I have with it in!

My side-effect : My periods were horrible. 2 weeks minimum and I was becoming anaemic during my cycle. I do believe, though, things are finally sorting themselves out, as the last 2 cycles have been relatively normal.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I've had the copper for ~9 months, no weight gain.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    I have the Mirena. I Love it... its been four years since I got in and I'm getting another one next year when this one comes out... the first few months I still cramped when it was time for my monthly but no bleeding... I didn't gain weight due to it... I already had most of the weight from my daughter who I had given birth to 8 weeks before I had my Mirena was put in...
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    I've had this Mirena for 3.5 years. This is my third. I've been researching the Mirena/weight gain correlation, but have not found a concrete study that proves or disproves it. I highly doubt my personal weight struggle is linked, more likely that it is because of a nerve issue I have.

If you are already having weight issues, you may want to re-think the birth control you have. There are plenty of other options to try. The side effect of most of them, though, is weight gain. =(
  • I have Nexplanon and have been finding it almost impossible to lose weight (I've actually put on over 10kg since it's been put in).

I've recently rejoined MFP and started a new regime despite walking over 10km a day and eating a low carb diet.
    I have been tested for underactive thyroid and various other issues, all negative.
    My GP has suggested I have the implant removed to see if it helps.

Good luck!
  • roflysst2
    roflysst2 Posts: 5 Member
    I've got the mirena coil, I did gain weight at first but that was my own fault and nothing to do with the coil.

I had the copper one at first which was horrible, I got very anemic and weak, constantly bloated and in pain. Then I changed to the mirena and it's been brilliant, I bloat a bit more than usual but nothing major. (I've had the mirena for about 1.5 years now)

*Warning* It is painful going in. I passed out while mine was put in which shocked the doctor and nurse lol :P
  • God I am such an idiot! Sorry, I had an IUD before and it was fine. Just had a Duh moment sorry guys. But still does it have the same side effects?

^This.