Why do you dread Thanksgiving?

Replies

• lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    I am a Cowboy fan. I always dread when they are on the field (and they are on the field every Thanksgiving) as I never know what team will show up. Usually end up frustrated.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Weird thing to complain about, but I dread it because hanging out with my family is sooo boring. My parents don't have cable, hardly even turn on their tv. My mom's cooking is boring--she can't have too much sodium, can't have anything with msg or "natural flavoring' and makes everyone eat the way she has to. There's usually not enough either--my husband and I joke behind her back about one of her sayings---having "just enough" food. Which honestly usually means he and I have had to eat less than we really wanted because there wasn't any more! And they eat fast too, and as soon as they think everyone is done the food is put away and everything is cleaned up, forget about hanging out around the table and relaxing for awhile and nibbling on the extras. My brother is great, but for some reason is really hard to have a conversation with, so I'll be out of things to talk about with him in about 5 minutes. And he'll be here visiting all weekend. The last time we had a new year's eve party there, the main entertainment was doing jigsaw puzzles, I'm not joking it was that boring. I'll honestly be bringing my kindle and my husband will bring our roku to set up there so we actually have something to do.
    Now I know I have lots to be thankful about, since everyone is healthy and all that, but just wish my family was a bit more interesting!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    It depends on where we're having it. If it's anywhere but home I practically have to cook a separate dinner and bring it with us since we're gluten free and I can't eat nightshades, which means no potatoes for me. :( We get physically ill if we eat gluten so it's just not worth taking a risk. By "we" I mean me and a couple of my kids.

If we're doing it at home like we are this year I love it because we can eat everything without worry and just relax and enjoy the day. If grandma weren't coming over we'd probably eat dinner in our pi's. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Weird thing to complain about, but I dread it because hanging out with my family is sooo boring. My parents don't have cable, hardly even turn on their tv. My mom's cooking is boring--she can't have too much sodium, can't have anything with msg or "natural flavoring' and makes everyone eat the way she has to. There's usually not enough either--my husband and I joke behind her back about one of her sayings---having "just enough" food. Which honestly usually means he and I have had to eat less than we really wanted because there wasn't any more! And they eat fast too, and as soon as they think everyone is done the food is put away and everything is cleaned up, forget about hanging out around the table and relaxing for awhile and nibbling on the extras. My brother is great, but for some reason is really hard to have a conversation with, so I'll be out of things to talk about with him in about 5 minutes. And he'll be here visiting all weekend. The last time we had a new year's eve party there, the main entertainment was doing jigsaw puzzles, I'm not joking it was that boring. I'll honestly be bringing my kindle and my husband will bring our roku to set up there so we actually have something to do.
    Now I know I have lots to be thankful about, since everyone is healthy and all that, but just wish my family was a bit more interesting!

Spike the punch or bring them some special brownies or something. :smile:
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    I don't. It's a free day off work, with mama and my brother eating a yummy meal (not too much family drama, haha). And if I go over my calories for the day, NBD there's always another day.
    I may dread it next year because I most likely won't be home... (Joining the military...)
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    I want to eat ALL the food, but logging to exact numbers can be a pain sometimes. or eating something that someone else made and you don't know the exact ingredients and portions. D: I mean, I love it. but it's an MFP nightmare!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member

Spike the punch or bring them some special brownies or something. :smile:

Oh that is tempting!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Sometimes, the turkeys beg me to save them.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    The slaughter of millions of turkeys...just kidding! Nothing to dread. Bring on the tofurky.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I can think of a million different things I'd rather complain about than a day devoted to spending time with family and celebrating blessings and bountifulness. FWP, for real.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I don't.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I can think of a million different things I'd rather complain about than a day devoted to spending time with family and celebrating blessings and bountifulness. FWP, for real.

mic-drop.gif
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

All of This....... :drinker:
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    The only thing I dread is not having enough room in my belly after dinner to eat some of every dessert.
  • squishybarb
    squishybarb Posts: 72 Member
    I love Thanksgiving!

But...

I work at an airport and I have to be there at 4 AM to deal with angry, illiterate, non-direction-following passengers for 8 hours. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    This year I'm dreading storing food and cooking the dinner. My family (7 of us) and my mother and her partner will be staying in small apartments next to one another on a holiday camp. The ovens there are tiny and we'll have no freezer, just a small fridge each with an ice box. We'll have to move tables and chairs into one apartment and share the cooking of whatever we've bought for dinner and its likely to be a stressful disaster lol
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    For the past twenty years, my husband and I have been subjected to Thanksgiving at his brother's house -- usually nontraditional food as the one year he attempted turkey it was FOUR HOURS late. His brother fancies himself a bit of a "gourmet," but I have yet to eat anything at his house that was even slightly appealing... and he seems to have conveniently forgotten that his own brother is allergic to seafood (last year was an all-seafood "feast"). Combine that with having to avoid the inappropriate comments from the lecherous old man that is my sister-in-law's stepfather, and it's a rather horrid experience.

This year, however, my brother-in-law will be out of town and my husband and I can finally have the holiday the way *we* want it. I'm making his favorite meatloaf, homemade mac & cheese, pumpkin cookies, and then we are going to sit on the couch and watch football and hockey until our eyes bleed. There may even be some napping involved.

For once, I'm looking *forward* to Thanksgiving!!!

Just curious as to why you always go there instead of politely declining and doing your own thing?

Why go? Because as frustrating and boring as it is sometimes, it's still family -- a few hours out of my life won't kill me, and it's not like they're going to be around forever. You never know when it's the last time you'll all be together.

But I won't lie -- it's going to be nice to have just *one* alone with my husband :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

Complaining about people who complain about Thanksgiving is among them, i see.

Spending time saving orphans in Sierra Leone this Thanksgiving?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Family drama. When the wine starts flowing, people stop being polite and start getting real. Love my family, but they are crazy.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    I don't:smile: