Not afraid of fat when losing weight

Replies

• tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    I'm not scared of fat!!! My diet consists of mostly healthy fats.
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    amandajeanAKAaj Posts: 84 Member
    I'm just wondering if anyone here is not afraid of fat?

I have never been afraid of fat myself, but I recently have had gallbladder issues and my doctor told me I need to limit oils and butter and such.....As for dark meat vs white meat I have always like white over dark. I am not a big fan of yolk so I of course stick with egg white but that is because of taste not fat. When it comes to milk, cheese, and nuts bring on the fat!! I eat whatever I want and as long as I get my workouts in and stay within my calorie limit I am losing just fine!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Fat is my largest macro. Avocado, nuts, cheese, butter, heavy cream and coconut oil make up 60-80% of my diet. Diabetes is under tight control with no meds (last A1c was 5.1) and my lipid panel is darn near perfect. Added bonus is that my skin and hair look great.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member

I use real butter, olive oil, an coconut oil for cooking. I use whole eggs instead of egg whites. I use full fat milk, cheese, and yogurt (though I will treat myself to some flavored Chobani options on occasion which are all low and nonfat). I prefer dark meat with skin over boneless white meat chicken breasts. I enjoy nuts, nut butter, olives, and avocado.

Is there anyone else out there who really isn't afraid of fat? Given the choice, I'll pick the higher fat option over the fat-free or low-fat almost every time.

Anyone here doing that and losing weight? It seems that everyone is pushing the low-fat options everywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone is losing weight eating all the full-fat stuff.

I don't eat anything low-fat, " lite " or fat free, because most of the time there are no calories to be saved, because the fat is replaced with something else that has almost the same calories. Having that said, I also don't push the envelope; I don't eat red meat in my own home ( but don't complain when served red meat when I am invited to someone's home ), I remove the skin from all fowl and am careful with the general amounts of butter, cream, avocados, quality oil and cheese I eat to maintain my calorie deficit and balance of nutrients. I also make my own yogurt from full fat milk, because I find flavored yogurt disgusting and all natural is difficult to find in this country.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Not afraid a bit. I use lots of butter, lard, coconut oil, heavy cream, coconut milk....the list goes on. I love the skin from chicken and save my bacon grease.

I don't feel hungry as often if I get the balance right.

What I do try to limit is pasta and bread and grains in general. Well that's not true, I eat tons of rice.
  • ra1williamson
    ra1williamson Posts: 42 Member
    I love love love avocados! I eat avocados(everyday), whole eggs, real butter, olive oil... But 2% milk (prefer almond milk)And low fat yogurt. I have lost 45 pounds in 4 1/2 months. All of these are very healthy food..real butter is way more healthy than margarine!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

I have never been afraid of fat myself, but I recently have had gallbladder issues and my doctor told me I need to limit oils and butter and such.....As for dark meat vs white meat I have always like white over dark. I am not a big fan of yolk so I of course stick with egg white but that is because of taste not fat. When it comes to milk, cheese, and nuts bring on the fat!! I eat whatever I want and as long as I get my workouts in and stay within my calorie limit I am losing just fine!

lol if i were you i'd beg to have that sucker snipped out so you can go back to enjoying delicious fat...best surgery I ever had
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I mostly eat healthy fats.

I don't like most animal fats. I rarely eat red meat, and I'll only eat it if it's lean. I prefer turkey bacon and white meat chicken. I love egg whites, but I usually include a yolk or two for the nutrients. I do love fish though, including fatty options like salmon.

I can't eat dairy and unfortunately many dairy substitutes are low-fat, except coconut, but the fats are saturated and some are trans. Also, I just prefer the taste of almond.

I cook in oil instead of butter. I use olive oil, organic canola oil, sesame oil, walnut oil, and peanut oil. :) I also have canola oil mayonnaise.

I love nuts, although I usually use them to top a dish off because of the small portion size. Almond and peanut butters are a staple for me too.

Avocado is a fantastic addition to any sandwich! I find that it's one of the best ways to get a healthy source of fats on-the-go. Of course, you could always have some dark chocolate squares too.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

I use real butter, olive oil, an coconut oil for cooking. I use whole eggs instead of egg whites. I use full fat milk, cheese, and yogurt (though I will treat myself to some flavored Chobani options on occasion which are all low and nonfat). I prefer dark meat with skin over boneless white meat chicken breasts. I enjoy nuts, nut butter, olives, and avocado.

Is there anyone else out there who really isn't afraid of fat? Given the choice, I'll pick the higher fat option over the fat-free or low-fat almost every time.

Anyone here doing that and losing weight? It seems that everyone is pushing the low-fat options everywhere, so I'm wondering if anyone is losing weight eating all the full-fat stuff.

Full-blown ketogenic eater here (ignore this past weekend, LOL) with 75% of my calories coming from fat. I'm doing quite well. :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    The only problem with excess fat, is it takes away my caloric allowance from Carbs and Proteins. I know my body only needs about 50-70g of fat per day, I want my body to get at least 180g of protein a day. I'd rather my leftover calories go to carbs for energy then just excess fat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I eat regular cheese.

I like the taste of fat free greek yogurt better then the full fat version.. I grew up on 1% milk so I gravitate towards it. But I will drink whole milk. Although I buy Almond milk more often now. I've always cooked with butter, margarine tastes gross.

I am not afraid of oils, I just don't like how a lot of them taste. To me they mask the taste of the food I am eating, and I'd prefer not to use them at all. I have been trying to use them on my salads more often though.. I love avocados. :~)

I will eat all the chicken, although I like the diversity of white meat moreso then dark.

So I guess i'm 50/50
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    "Low fat" usually means "messed with." AKA not real food. I try to eat as clean as possible. My favorite foods are fats (eggs, nuts, avocados, EVOO, cheese). Fat doesn't mean fat.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    I love real butter on fresh baked bread. Margarine is just an insult to it. Lol. I just try to keep it in my calorie budget.
  • amandajeanAKAaj
    amandajeanAKAaj Posts: 84 Member

lol if i were you i'd beg to have that sucker snipped out so you can go back to enjoying delicious fat...best surgery I ever had

Nah, I am a wimp when it comes to all that I would rather just change my eating....I don't have to cut it all out just can't have as much as I used to eat....Not as bad as I thought it was going to be though!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Weight Watchers taught me to eat low fat for decades and it didn't work long term so now I eat full fat and loving it thanks to listening to the advice of people that know what they are doing on MFP. Lean meats are horrible.

Low fat/no fat diets will kill you if you stay on them indefinitely. Fortunately, most people cannot (and they end up going back to their bad food habits and gaining the weight back--which keeps Weight Watchers in business). The main problem is that the standard diet gets too many of its calories from "fast carbs" i.e.,sugar and starch--which wreaks havoc with blood sugar. Restaurant food and processed food is full of sugar and starch and we eat more of it than ever. Just take sugar as an example. In 1900, the average person ate 5 pounds of sugar per year--now the figure is estimated to be 150 pounds per year (half of which is buried in processed food--often in foods you'd never expect to have any sugar at all). That's why we are a nation where Type II diabetes is in epidemic proportions. The low-fat craze just made the problem worse because when the food processors took out the fat, they put back sugar and starch to "enhance the flavor". :frown:

Fat is the dieter's friend because not only is 45 grams per day the absolute minimum to maintain health but there is a WAAYY higher satiety level with fat than any other macro. Carbohydrates should be obtained mostly from vegetables and fruit. As you can see from my ticker, I have lost 66 pounds and have not once shied away from fat (except to make sure that the fats I eat are healthy fats--no trans fats, thank you very much). But I don't eat sugar and very little grain. I eat potatoes when I need to up my carbohydrate and magnesium/potassium level. And I ALWAYS have real organic butter on my potatoes.

ETA: My macros are always 60% fat, 20% protein (that really is sufficient unless you are working on gaining a LOT of muscle--proteinaceous pee really isn't very useful) and 20% carbohydrates. I concentrate on getting my carbohydrates from vegetables and fruits. It is a very satisfying "diet". I never feel deprived. I feel healthy and energetic and I felt absolutely awful on the very low-cal/low fat diet that was "medically supervised"---that is, until I got sick. And then I gained all the weight back (plus more). I have been on my current plan for three years+ and have not felt so well for many, many years. Fat is a weight loss friend.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    With the exception of 1% milk (just prefer the taste), I go for full fat versions of everything I eat. Otherwise, it just tastes like cardboard.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    I've always done this and consistently lost until my goal weight. Low fats foods are just full of even more chemicals. I try to stick to nuts, avocado, and olive oil. I try to follow the serving guidelines for milk and cheese. I have eggs for breakfast everyday. I usually do one full egg and 3/4 cups of egg white, either scrambled or made into an omelette!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    "...I have eggs for breakfast everyday. I usually do one full egg and 3/4 cups of egg white, either scrambled or made into an omelette!..."

I have (organic) eggs every morning for breakfast too--but I eat the yolks. If you are throwing the yolks away, you are losing the most nourishing part. The best way to eat the yolks is uncooked if you can handle it (but don't eat the whites uncooked--over time, eating raw egg whites will make you sick). I LOOOOVE eggs "sunny side up". I eat them with my steel-cut oats (on my heavy cardio days) and load the oats up with butter. Mmmm (I'm glad tomorrow is a big cardio day). :smile:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Not afraid of fat here, I embrace it! Natural fats are good for me - bacon, beef drippings, cream, olive oil, duck fat, butter, coconut oil, nuts, avocado...bring it on. 70% of my calories come from real natural fats, and I keep carbs under 10%. And don't miss carbs either. Would rather have eggs and bacon rather than bowl of cereal for breakky, or a juicy steak rather than a bowl of spaghetti.

Just like what SanteMulberry says, we need fat in our diets, it is an essential macronutrient. I've done low fat diet before too and felt horrible and cranky, and couldn't maintain weight loss because of feeling voraciously hungry all day. Also, my skin got real bad and dried up so bad there wasn't enough cream in the world to moisturizer it. Your brain is composed of fat and low fat diets have been medically shown to create depression. In fact, Pritikin, famous inventor of the low fat pritikin diet, committed suicide.

Fat is healthy. Enjoy it!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Nope, not afraid of fats.. 30% Fat, 30% Carb, 40% Protein are my macros. Try to get my fats from avocados and nuts. I need fats.