Re-Thinking DRINKING

Check out this website:
http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/toolsresources/caloriecalculator.asp

It calculates the calories of our favorite alcoholic drinks. I had a 16 oz margarita last week- it was 672 calories!

Pay attention to the oz (really, who has a 4 oz margarita?!) and be honest with yourself. Then think about that extra 400 calories before you order that daiquiri~

Cheers!!!:drinker:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Most Margaritas are served in twelve ounce glasses, but the actual portioning is 1.5 ounces of alcohol and 4 ounces of mix. About 250 calories.

The frozen Margaritas have about a cup of blended ice, so a lime one is about the same - a strawberry marg is about 50 calories more.

Two extra ounces of mix to get it to 16 ounces would be about 40 calories additional.

Oops, my bartendering days are showing.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    I'm going on a cruise next week and I read an article listing the drink calories....a long island ice tea 780 calories!!! Yikes!

I don't plan on counting and tracking while on vacation, I've been a good girl for 8 months, I hit goal (under it by 4lbs actually) and I plan on enjoying myself. I'm hoping I'll keep the weight gain to 5lbs or less!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    I'm going on a cruise next week and I read an article listing the drink calories....a long island ice tea 780 calories!!! Yikes!

I don't plan on counting and tracking while on vacation, I've been a good girl for 8 months, I hit goal (under it by 4lbs actually) and I plan on enjoying myself. I'm hoping I'll keep the weight gain to 5lbs or less!

Congrats on meeting your goal!!
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    I'm totally guilty of saving calories for wine at the end of the day....cheers!:drinker:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    If you drink mostly liquor, it's not terrible. It's when you add soda, fruit juices, Red Bull, and other mixers that things get out of control. Single malt scotch, neat, is my go-to if I'm in a situation that essentially demands drinking. It doesn't need sugar to be palatable, and nobody expects me to drink more than a couple rounds of it.
  • What ItsCasey said.
    Single malt ohhh one of my pleasures. In general is 70cal per ounce. Wine is good to 25cal per ounce.
    Enjoy your vacation
  • I drink wine. The bottle I like is 480 cals. I usually polish off two if I'm drinking. Not gonna ruin me. Unless you're an alcoholic, these calories aren't too big of a deal.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    my drink of choice is a measured shot of Rum and diet sprite. I did drink 5 glasses of wine before the Pink concert the other night...whooops!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I usually order skinny margaritas, or when I make them at home, I use a light margarita mix.. lessens the blow a little and still does the job. :smile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Biggest issue I found with most people I know who drink while "dieting" is that they consciously forget they are dieting after hammering a few and getting a buzz.

And if no one's mentioned it, alcohol inhibits any fat loss until it's out of your system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's really about the mixers. I typically have wine most nights. Sometimes I'll have a vodka with club soda (so vodka and bubbles), which is just the calories of the vodka shot.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I usually drink Citron and Diet Coke with a slice of lime, 100 Calories. Or regular non-flavored vodka is 65 calories.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    I'm totally guilty of saving calories for wine at the end of the day....cheers!:drinker:

^---this. For me, only on weekends.