Just tried shirataki noodles for the first time. Like!

I really don't see why people fuss so much about the smell and texture of shirataki noodles... I mean, the liquid it comes packed in does have a shellfish scent, but it rinses right off and the noodles become odorless/flavorless. And the texture is, well, maybe a little more "snappy" than Italian pasta, but not by much!

I made a bag of the Pasta Zero fettuccine with 1/4 cup of Bertolli Four Cheese Rosa sauce plus a bit of Jane's Mixed-Up Salt, and it tasted fantastic! I rinsed the noodles in hot water and drained them, then dry-fried them for maybe 3 minutes on medium-high heat, then tossed the sauce in the pan with them and cooked it for about 3 more minutes. Then I ate it.

The whole thing set me back 140 calories and 9 carbs, 3 of which were fiber so they don't even count. So really it was ~130 calories/6 carbs, almost all of which was from the sauce. And I'm very full right now. Happy tummy. :-)

Replies

• mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    I just bought some Shirataki spaghetti today! Thanks for the info.... was wondering how it was going to taste.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    I'm just happy I finally get to use up all the pasta sauce that's been gathering dust in my fridge since I started my diet. :-)
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    I just bought some of these a few weeks ago and love them too! I like to dry fry them and then add ponzu and balsamic vinegar to them. They soak up the flavor really nice. I throw some chicken, mushrooms and tomatoes in a pan together and cook that up and pour over the noodles. Love having this for lunch!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Where are people finding these noodles ? I figured Whole Foods would have them, but no luck.
  • TitaniaEcks
    Where are people finding these noodles ? I figured Whole Foods would have them, but no luck.
    My Publix stocks them. They're usually in the same refrigerated section as the tofu. The Nasoya website has a store locator: http://www.nasoya.com/buy.html
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    I actually mean Miracle Noodles which I think is a bit different than shirataki noodles? Not sure but I think shirataki is a blend with tofu but the miracle noodles don't have the tofu with them. They are zero carbs and zero calories. I got mine on amazon.com.
  • TitaniaEcks
    I actually mean Miracle Noodles which I think is a bit different than shirataki noodles? Not sure but I think shirataki is a blend with tofu but the miracle noodles don't have the tofu with them. They are zero carbs and zero calories. I got mine on amazon.com.
    Shirataki is just the konjac yam noodles... some American manufacturers blend it with tofu but those aren't traditional shirataki noodles. Miracle Noodles don't have tofu and neither does Pasta Zero, but Miracle Noodles is mostly only carried by health food stores (other than online stores) and they smell worse than Pasta Zero from what I've heard, so I prefer to go one mile down the road to pick up Pasta Zero, or the Asian store down the block that carries a bunch of kinds of shirataki noodles for much cheaper...
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    I absolutely love these noodles :) Pasta is my weakness and even though these aren't an exact match, they do the job! I think the people who had bad experiences just didn't rinse or heat the noodles for long enough, or failed to adjust the recipe for sauces etc to account for the different flavour/texture of the noodles. I just love them, they are my diet saver on days I'm STARVING and craving pasta and pesto.
  • TitaniaEcks
    I just went to the Asian grocery down the block and I found 100% shirataki noodles (plain konjac yam noodles) for $1.89 a bag. They even had them in seaweed flavor. (I'm an adventurous eater.) Also they had the House Foods tofu shirataki fettuccine noodles.

I came home just now with an armful of noodle bags :-D Think I'll try the seaweed ones with a red clam sauce.
  • Hi, I love Miracle Noodles and simply rinse the noodles well and sometimes boil them for about a minute and find the odor goes completely away. I then combine them with whatever I am preparing, a stir fry, a casserole or other dish and the noodles take on the flavor of the spices and sauces I am using. I especially like their Garlic and Herb noodles:) I usually find them at nearby Whole Foods Markets. If your go on Miracle Noodle's website, www.miraclenoodle.com, they have a store locator site where you place your zip code to find places convenient for you.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    I think Whole Food has the Shirataki noodles in the fridge where the tofu is located.
    I have also found them in the Asian store.
    I love them too. I have never tried the Miracle noodles, not sure if they are different. I usually I rinse the Shirataki noodles with hot water , stir fry them with onions and mushrooms ( portabella and button mushrooms) and add either some tomatoes or a wedge of light laughing cow cheese or lactose free cheese. Tastes very good and is pretty filling.
  • christinecsaucier
    christinecsaucier Posts: 30 Member
    just tried the tofu shiratki fettuccini and although it was a rubbery I found it a great substitute for pasta. Pasta is a major downfall this half Italian girl and welcome a filling bowl of the comfort food! Actually ordered more on amazon since my local grocery store only had a couple bags
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Bump!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    I wonder if it varies by brand. I rinsed mine and dry fried them, like many people on MFP suggest, and the smell was fine, but the texture was awful. I couldn't eat it. They were chewy and rubbery...
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Yeah, I go through streaks of using them. Am on a streak now... I prefer to dry fry them in a non-stick wok and add seasoning as I go (usually curry powder, or chili powder.)

The ones I've been preferring lately are Konjac brand with some oat flour in them. They seem to be holding the seasoning better than the non-oat ones. Still 0 net carbs.

I've been making low carb chili, dry frying them with chili powder, then dumping chili and cheese on them. Totally hits the spot.

I've not like any konjac noodles with a 'light' sauce. It makes the texture/taste difference too noticeable. But I just don't expect them to be like my fav noodles, so i'm not too disaapointed there. They're filler. Kinda like how I view salad greens. I don't necessarily LIKE them, but they're low cal and good to fill the tummy.

Chili's good on salad greens too. ;)