Logging for 115 days. nothing to show for it...

Replies

• lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    It would matter in how efficiently your body uses the fuel your giving it. If you are staying fuller and energized longer, you may inherently eat less calories to fuel yourself, since they are better fuel. You would get better gas mileage....
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    I do not agree that it is only calories in < calories out. ( just my opinion that's what works for me ). Looking at the last few days of your diary, I wonder where your fiber is. I don't see veggies and fruits.
    You might want to incorporate more fresh stuff and cut out some foods that can spike your blood sugar quickly such as processed carbs. I'm not saying that processed things should be cut out completely if someone likes them, but you need to make sure you give your body adequate nutrition in form of fruits and vegetables.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Be more accurate and consistent in your logging.

Expect some bouncing of your weight. (Especially 3 lbs.) I weigh every day and the day-to-day is chaotic but the bigger trend is predictable. I only concern myself with "the first time I get to 184" and "the first time I get to 183" and so on, instead of being worried about whether it stays at 183 the whole time until I hit 182.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    I may get some unwanted backlash from telling you this, but for some people, it's more than calories in, calories out. When I started really paying attention to fat, carbs, protein, and fiber, the weight finally started coming off. For the first 3 months, I lost exactly 3 pounds. It was when I started paying attention to my carb intake, that the weight finally started coming off. A few months later, I'm down 23 pounds. I'm a very, very slow loser, and have to be okay with that. I current have 2 low carb days in a row, and then have 1 high carb day. It's what works for me.
    Feel free to add me! I'm always looking for more friends.
    Good luck to you! Don't give up.

It is always calories in/out. Always.
    OP I would go to the doctor to get tested for hormone problems unless you are just not being 100% truthful to yourself while logging.

I definitley agree that total calories in and calories out is a huge factor in weightloss. However, the type of calories you are eating are important as well. For example, it takes more time and calories to break down and digest protein than it does a simple carbohydrate. You stay fuller longer and your less likely to have dips in blood sugar levels or energy.

Add to that, if you are like me an have insulin problems that cause your body to store carbs as fat (simply put). The majority of my food needs to be lean protein, complex carbohydrates (veggies), etc. I have to use a 1g:2g ratio (of protein complex carbs). I also have to limit my carb intake to no more than 30 grams in a 2 hour period. The ratio, timing, and my medicine allow my body to properly respond to food.

So, take a little advice from all of the above posters. Check your intake and ouput. Have a doctor check your hormones, blood sugar, mineral and vitamin counts (for deficiencies), and tweak your food to be nutritionally right for you. Good luck! Keep at it.

Why would that matter if at the end of the day you have a calorie deficit? The rate at which your body uses the calories doesn't matter as long as you are in a deficit. You could eat all fat, all carb or all protein and still lose weight.

You can have a calorie deficit and not lose weight. However, if that's the case you need to see a dr. Because, yes, you are correct in that 99% of the time the math should work (more out than in = weight loss). That said, protein builds muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat (one of the other by products of our food intake). You may lose a pound of fat, but gain a pound of muscle. If that's the case you should see a difference in your physical measurements rather than the scale. If you are like me, and your body does not breakdown carbs for energy, rather it stores them as fat, then you can eat less calories than you are burining and still have a problem losing weight.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    OK 1) of the days I saw in your diary... you went over on calories almost everyday. 2) The quality of foods that you're eating isn't there... lots of carbs... lots of eating out... lots of sweets. I didn't see a whole lot in the way of lean meats... veggies... fruits... and quality grains. 3) Do you not exercise? If you want to eat more... exercise to give yourself more calories to eat. 4) I don't know your stats so I don't know if 1700 or even 2000 is a good goal for you. Do your BMR and TDEE calculations.. I really suggest to get a fitbit or similar tracker so you have a realistic idea of how much you're truly burning on a day-to-day basis. If you eat at a deficit to what you burn you'll lose weight. Lifting and High Intensity Interval Training is your best bet to boosting your metabolism and burning fat... which is what you want. Cardio will give you calories to eat... but you won't see the results you want. Lift.

It looks like you're eating a lot of stuff that is high in sodium so I think it's fair to say you're probably seeing a lot of fluctuation due to water weight.... also.. I didn't see you log any drinks. Do you really not drink anything all day? Drinks have calories too... log it. Make sure you're getting enough water to counteract all that sodium. I drink a minimum of 64oz/day... usually its closer to 90oz. Good luck.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Your problem is not hormones, or carbs, or anything like that, your problem is that you're not weighing and measuring your food, and you're not logging accurately. Buy a food scale, and stop going over your calorie goal dang near every day and you'll be fine.

Rigger
  • Hey there, First off all let me ask you how serious and dedicated are you into weight loss? If you truly are motivated in acheiving your ultimate weight loss goals. Then I may have the advice you truly are seeking for. If you aren't losing weight on 2000k cals my guess(not really a guess but coming from experience and nutrition knowledge) is your metabolism has adjusted to those daily calorie consumption. Therefore you are just running in circles with weight loss at the moment. Let me ask you would you rather have your body losing weight at 3000 calories compared to 2000? you are 250 lbs and only consuming 2000 cals. That my friend is a problem. I weigh 170 lbs and i consume 2600 calories currently and I still am losing weight. Mind you I am into Bodybuilding/Physique /Fitnessimprovement.
    Alex
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    You can have a calorie deficit and not lose weight. However, if that's the case you need to see a dr. Because, yes, you are correct in that 99% of the time the math should work (more out than in = weight loss). That said, protein builds muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat (one of the other by products of our food intake). You may lose a pound of fat, but gain a pound of muscle. If that's the case you should see a difference in your physical measurements rather than the scale. If you are like me, and your body does not breakdown carbs for energy, rather it stores them as fat, then you can eat less calories than you are burining and still have a problem losing weight.

I always understood using the muscles build muscle and to build muscle you need to be at a surplus and lifting at least. Protien helps repair muscle from the use...

and no you wont lose fat and gain muscle at a deficet unless it's noobie gains...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    You can have a calorie deficit and not lose weight.

No, you can't, other than brief periods of water retention.

Long term caloric deficit guarantees weight loss.

It is, in fact, the only way to do it, short of surgery.
  • a_lynn_white
    a_lynn_white Posts: 33 Member
    Yeah, you definitely need to really think about being honest with yourself.....Most days it looks like you hardly eat anything, but you are still over your calorie limits.....It's great that you are logging, but it is time to take this to the next level of commitment if you really want to see GOOD results......You need to really measure your food, and add good amounts of exercise to that.
  • running a bit out of ideas here. I've been logging for 115 days now .

After around 25 days I got a weighing machine.

I weighed 256 on the Wednesday I bought one .

I was 248 like last Wednesday (the Wednesday before)

This Wednesday I was 251....

on around 2000 Kcal, should I be losing more? I would love some advice. I wish I knew how to attach pictures as I have before and after as well

What is your numbers? Hight & Weight, your BMR? Is 2000 calories what mfp gave you? What is your activiry level? How do you calculate exercise calories?
  • FinallyFitMommy
    FinallyFitMommy Posts: 38 Member
    UNWANTED backlash.. I'm saying what works for me. If I ate all carbs, all day long, I would not lose weight. If I lower my carbs, and watch my fat intake as well, I have a great number on the scale the next time I weigh in. Don't tell me I'm wrong, when I've found what works for me. I measure my food, I count every morsel of everything that goes in my mouth, even a lick, is all counted. I'm honest with myself, and my diary is open, even though that can be embarrassing. I've made great friends on here that don't judge me.
    For ME it is more than just calories in, calories out. I can eat 1200 calories of veggies, or i can eat 1200 calories of crap. One will make me lose weight, one will not. That is how my body works.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    I guess I am confused because I looked at your diary and you are over your calorie limit almost every day and some days by as many as 500 calories. unless you aren't accounting for your exercise I think you would be gaining weight.

i am reading the diaries wrong?? -500 in red means you went over on calories correct?

When you lose weight and adjust your calories all of the previous entries will show you over calories even if for your weight at the time you where under.

I just started making diary notes so I can see how many calories I was under.

ok... i understand that.. thank you..

however if i am reading the op correctly she hasn't lost weight , so therefore is going over her calorie goal. (i assume if she isn't losing she hasn't adjusted her calories).
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member

I always understood using the muscles build muscle and to build muscle you need to be at a surplus and lifting at least. Protien helps repair muscle from the use...

and no you wont lose fat and gain muscle at a deficet unless it's noobie gains...
    What the heck are noobie gains?
  • SezxyStef
    UNWANTED backlash.. I'm saying what works for me. If I ate all carbs, all day long, I would not lose weight. If I lower my carbs, and watch my fat intake as well, I have a great number on the scale the next time I weigh in. Don't tell me I'm wrong, when I've found what works for me. I measure my food, I count every morsel of everything that goes in my mouth, even a lick, is all counted. I'm honest with myself, and my diary is open, even though that can be embarrassing. I've made great friends on here that don't judge me.
    For ME it is more than just calories in, calories out. I can eat 1200 calories of veggies, or i can eat 1200 calories of crap. One will make me lose weight, one will not. That is how my body works.

Well you knew it was coming...so least you were prepared...

BTW you don't weight your food you use cups ect...you are eating more then think and until you get a food scale you always will.

And I am not judging you at all...yah for you being here trying to lose weight.

And unless you have a medical condition diagnosed by a doctor it is calories in vs calories out....
  • SezxyStef

What the heck are noobie gains?

my understanding of "noobie gains" are that if you are new to lifiting weights you "CAN" see increase in muscle for a short while even if you are eating at a deficet...

ETA: Normally to gain muscle you have to eat at a surplus...and it takes a lot of time...

Someone please correct me if I am not correct in my understanding.