How much do you tip the grocery baggers?

Options
mayaocean
mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
I was thinking $5 if the bags are paper (harder to carry multiple bags) and nothing if they're plastic.

What about you ladies/men?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    How much money do you have? You're just a tipping maniac :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    tip who they dont even carry them out to your car anymore? I'll tip me for reminding them not to put the milk on top of the bread.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This is getting ridic
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had no idea anyone tipped them...for sure if someone helps me carry stuff to my car I would give them $5...but other than that, nope.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    <<<<<<Bags her own groceries because:grumble:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Only if it's just the tip...
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My how times have changed over the last decade or so... one of my first jobs was at a grocery store, and I remember having to watch a video upon hiring that went over the basics of bagging (heavy items on bottom, household things go separate, likewise with meats / poultry, etc). And I also remember that as with a lot of places, tips weren't allowed. People would still try to give them, of course, but we weren't supposed to take them. I think I ended up with a couple separate 1 dollar tips back then, that I managed to get away with.

It's hard though, because if someone DOES do good, you want to. But you don't want them to get in trouble, double-edged sword.

Then again, places around here, people rarely do anything good with bagging, to the point where I usually do my own. Most times, it's the cashier who gets the job anyway, since they rarely have designated "bagging" employees around here. Besides, I can bag faster than they can scan & bag anyway. Guess I can tip myself, since I have no rule about not taking tips?
  • kornaco
    kornaco Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Most big chains don't allow their employees to accept tips. In college I worked at small grocery store, anyway, $1 from a lady was awesome, $2 and I was ecstatic!! $5??? Hey, now!! :bigsmile:
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I shop where they bag and take them out to your car for you. So if I spend over 100 (usually spend 100-200) I tip 3-5 bucks. The people that take it to my car usually always $5.00 unless its snowing or raining then I add in another dollar or so.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I just hand them a blank check and tell them to buy themselves something nice
  • ldrosophila
    Options

LOL as you light your cigar with hundred dollar bills...sweet
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Same way I tip my waitress...

...never over 45 degrees.

(I'll be here all week. Shows nightly, two shows on Saturday.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Dude, with all this tipping, how do you pay your bills?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

LOL as you light your cigar with hundred dollar bills...sweet

There's another way to light a cigar? :wink:
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Dude, with all this tipping, how do you pay your bills?

mounds of gold
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I am a good restaurant tipper but I have never heard of tipping for groceries…

I have yet to have a properly bagged grocery trip… My uncle has been in the grocery business for 35 years or so and he explained to me the proper way and I have yet to see it done right… Maybe if it was done right at least once I would tip… Until then I am holding on to my dollar.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    So..tell me more about your "tip" fetish....
  • D8vidFitness
    Options
    I only tip if my grocery bagger is hot.. and just the tip :laugh:

in all seriousness, I've never heard of tipping a grocery bagger.. maybe more the lines of someone who loads heavy items onto your car...
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nothing. But I might if they loaded things into my car.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I only tip baggers if I'm shopping on the military base since those baggers don't get paid otherwise and they always load my car. I generally give them $5.00.