Shakeology vs. Body by Vi or other shake products

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?

LMAO, Beachbody coaches are the best for their pearls of wisdom

+1
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Another meal replacement shake to look at is IdealShape. It's not a multi-level marketing product like shakeology, herbalife, and body by vi so there's no pressure to keep buying. Based on price comparison last year, I found it was cheaper per serving than the other 3 I listed. Both their flavors mixed well with water, milk, almond milk, and OJ, and tasted pretty good on their own or with additives like frozen fruit or PB2.

I've since switched to Syntrax Matrix protein powder. It has several flavors and the Chocolate, Vanilla, Mint Cookie and Peanut Butter Cookie are all awesome. It's a blend of 3 types of protein and a bit more expensive than the basic whey but cheaper than IdealShape or other meal replacements.

Comparing the two, Syntrax has more protein and less fiber and micro nutrients than IdealShape. Syntrax has more flavors available (www.mybariatricpantry.com has a sample pack of their flavors). Both keep me satisfied till about mid morning. I only use it for breakfast because I'm not a morning person and it's the easiest way to have breakfast.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Unbiased opinion; buy a protein powder and a quality multivitamin instead, for all of the benefit and less of the cost.

This!!

But seriously... most of those shakes are just a bunch of proteins, vitamins, and flavor...and most taste like complete crap.

Find a good protein you like (I've heard Trutein Cinnamon Bun is beyond delicious) and add it to some soy or almond milk. Take a good multivitamin everyday. It's much cheaper, tastes better, and most likely has more much-needed protein.

That being said, if you want a good "all-for-one" shake--I'd recommend Alive Whole Food Energizer Vanilla. It tastes horrible...100% grossness. But if you make it into a quick shot (which is what I do with it) you get a freakish amount of good stuff out of it and it's rather cheap in comparison.

So I guess my question then is, I have never used protein powders. I actually just assumed they were like shake powders but for gaining muscle instead of weight loss? I love shakes because I feel like I am having dessert. I have a huge ice cream addiction and shakes were a way to help curb gorging myself on ice cream. Will protein powders limit weight loss? I would love to gain muscle (eventually) but for now I am still in weight loss mode.

Yes, protein will increase muscle. More muscle = increased metabolism = more maintenance calories to get to eat, so yes, you can still lose weight while gaining muscle. Just keep staying under your calories. Again, is the number on the scale your end goal? Or is it a certain look you're trying to achieve?

so i can eat at a deficit, drink protein shakes, and have all teh GAINZ?!
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    If you want a quick go to and like shakes have you ever thought about green smoothies? They're my go to breakfast and a lot easier on the wallet!
  • lisajodean
    lisajodean Posts: 22 Member
    Another meal replacement shake to look at is IdealShape. It's not a multi-level marketing product like shakeology, herbalife, and body by vi so there's no pressure to keep buying. Based on price comparison last year, I found it was cheaper per serving than the other 3 I listed. Both their flavors mixed well with water, milk, almond milk, and OJ, and tasted pretty good on their own or with additives like frozen fruit or PB2.

I've since switched to Syntrax Matrix protein powder. It has several flavors and the Chocolate, Vanilla, Mint Cookie and Peanut Butter Cookie are all awesome. It's a blend of 3 types of protein and a bit more expensive than the basic whey but cheaper than IdealShape or other meal replacements.

Comparing the two, Syntrax has more protein and less fiber and micro nutrients than IdealShape. Syntrax has more flavors available (www.mybariatricpantry.com has a sample pack of their flavors). Both keep me satisfied till about mid morning. I only use it for breakfast because I'm not a morning person and it's the easiest way to have breakfast.

Thank you. I guess this thread has now turned into "Which protein powder should I look for?" I am the same way with not having time/really feeling hungry for breakfast which is another reason why I like shakes. I am always thirsty in the mornings but I don’t get hungry until about 11, but then I over eat. I think that’s the real reason I like shakes (otherwise I used to drink tons of juice in the morning, and that was way too much sugar and carbs). Plus, then, the dessert aspect of shakes too.
  • lisajodean
    If you want a quick go to and like shakes have you ever thought about green smoothies? They're my go to breakfast and a lot easier on the wallet!

What's a green smoothie? Like veggies in a blender? Because that's what I am trying to avoid. I really like Naked fruit smoothies but they have a lot of sugar.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Okay, so here is another question. Is there such thing as too much protein? That is something I have actually met on MFP before where I went over the recommended amount. Are there negatives to that?
    The protein intake automatically set by MFP is actually pretty low. I try for 1g per kg of body weight as a MINIMUM. That's way more than what MFP set me at. Higher protein combined with a progressive weight lifting program can help maintain muscle mass while losing weight. If you lose weight but muscle too, you can still end up looking flabby, but overall smaller. Maintaining muscle mass wile losing will likely give you the body you are looking for.

ETA: Trutein is amazing. The cinnabun tastes just like a cinnabun even just mixed with water. In fact, mixing it with soy milk was almost too rich for me, so I stick with water. Chocolate peanut butter is good too, but I'm a huge fan of cinnamon. Protein shakes don't make you gain weight, but check the labels. There are "weight gainers" for people looking to bulk and build muscle, but they are easy to spot because they have a ton of calories. My shake has 120ish calories, but I don't use it as a meal replacement (my breakfast is some peanut butter, my shake and a glass of soy milk).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    What's wrong with....ya know, uh, real food?
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    I toss some fruit, water & protein power in my nutriblast and make my own shakes! They're healthy and taste great.
  • I used both the Shakeology and the VIsalus mix.

Personally I think the taste of Shakeology is not that great. Tried it and didnt like it. Shakeology is supposed to be full of magical powdered STUFF that makes you superman - i dunno... I drank it every day and it didnt make me feel much different.

The Visalus sweet cream tastes awesome - and its like a treat to feed my cravings for something like cake or ice cream without all the garbage in them.

I dont drink it as a meal replacement, or even as a supplement expecting it to do something... I drink it as a low calorie treat/reward that has SOME vitamins and stuff in it...

I dont see it as my protien shake, or meal, or energy drink... to me its simply a semi-healthy good tasting treat.
  • lisajodean
    What's wrong with....ya know, uh, real food?

Nothing. I eat plenty of real food, but like I said I have a hard time eating in the morning and instead I am thirsty. Shakes are easy and nice to have as well. And I feel some sort of healthy shake is probably a better choice than ice cream (which I really, really like). Thanks for the question. :)
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Smoothies after workouts work great for my energy level personally.
  • greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    I tried shakeology while doing body beast. I mean its good for you, but it tastes like rotten *kitten*. No matter what I mixed with it, the strong *kitten* taste came through

Heh.
  • lisajodean
    I used both the Shakeology and the VIsalus mix.

Personally I think the taste of Shakeology is not that great. Tried it and didnt like it. Shakeology is supposed to be full of magical powdered STUFF that makes you superman - i dunno... I drank it every day and it didnt make me feel much different.

The Visalus sweet cream tastes awesome - and its like a treat to feed my cravings for something like cake or ice cream without all the garbage in them.

I dont drink it as a meal replacement, or even as a supplement expecting it to do something... I drink it as a low calorie treat/reward that has SOME vitamins and stuff in it...

I dont see it as my protien shake, or meal, or energy drink... to me its simply a semi-healthy good tasting treat.

This is how I have been treating my Vi since I stopped using it regularly when it didn't help with weight loss. I really am not a supplements person. I usually just eat "healthy" and work out (which is honestly how I lost 40lbs in the first place -- with some assistance I will say from Weight Watchers). I just thought I would ask and see what other people thought. Everyone's body works differently so maybe some "fad" will work. People call Paleo a fad and my girlfriend lost 50lbs and got off 1/2 her medications with a Paleo diet. It doesn't work for me but her life is changed forever. I try not to judge, but I also don't mind trying things and giving my personal opinion after. I just want to be informed. :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I used slim fast as a teen, which is why I still have scars from the stretch marks today.

Rapidly losing weight, then rapidly gaining it again when I returned to food after starving myself (with the new knowledge I could lose it rapidly again) triggered a decade of yo-yo dieting, binge eating and abusing food.

I'm now a personal trainer and nutritionist, trying to save people from these products.
  • lisajodean
    Smoothies after workouts work great for my energy level personally.

What type of smoothies do you have? And do you have to force yourself to have a smoothie after a work out? I am never hungry after working out, even if I was starving before.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Okay, so here is another question. Is there such thing as too much protein? That is something I have actually met on MFP before where I went over the recommended amount. Are there negatives to that?

Too much protein is not really problematic as long as keep in mind that 1g of protein = 4 cal so if you increase your protein intake you would need to reduce either your carbs (also 4 cal per g) or fat (9 cal per g) to stay within your calorie goals.

On the plus side increased protein (or fat) is likely to provide greater satiety which can help curb snacking (ie you feel fuller longer)
  • MissBee0507
    MissBee0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Nutritious food first. It is what your body wants and needs.

That being said we all need a quick meal, snack, post-workout whatever sometimes. Personally, I like VegaOne. I do not use or drink everyday though and it is not really a 'weight loss' supplement. I use it as a quick meal when I am very lazy.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
  • As for the green smoothie question, I LOVE green smoothies! They make it soooo much easier to get in a little bit of veggies without actually having to taste them (I really dislike most vegetables). The way I make them is to throw in a handful or two of spinach (you can use kale or arugula too, from what I've heard...just make sure it's a dark green leafy vegetable) into whatever smoothie I was already planning on making. So like, I'll make a blueberry muffin smoothie (I've discovered that if I add a tad bit of "imitation butter flavor" -- it comes in an extract bottle and is found with the other extracts -- it makes my smoothie taste like a baked good!), and just add spinach for more nutrients. The great thing is you really honestly can't taste whatever leafy green you've thrown in. It just tastes the same as the awesome smoothie did before you added it.

So to sum up, a green smoothie for me is fruit + protein powder + water + ice (I like the texture the ice gives it) + leafy greens ( + extracts, sometimes, for more/different flavor).

Also, don't worry about any haters that may pop up -- I see nothing wrong with making smoothies (or shakes, if that's your thing) as a supplement to an otherwise balanced diet. They make an awesome low-ish cal and nutritious snack or meal. Just remember, like another poster said -- don't use them if you don't plan on continuing to use them after you hit your goal weight. That's a great way to end up yo-yo dieting.