Couch Potato to Athlete (w/pics)

2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
Wow, my 330th day on MFP! Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would be posting this success story. Over the last year, I've learned that goals are adjustable and the finish line is ever changing. Since joining MFP in January, I read the success stories daily as inspiration in the hopes that one day I could post my own success story and inspire others. Unfortunately, I felt like I had to meet my ultimate weight loss goal to do so. Well, guess what? I haven't reached the desired weight loss (still want/need to lose about 40 lbs) but today I completed my first sprint triathlon!!! :happy:

I've spent the last 15+ years occassionally exercising (walking around the neighborhood) and maintaining a very POOR diet. In January, I started MFP at over 300lbs with the goal of reaching "onderland" by my one year mark (Jan. 2014). After hitting a LONG plateau this fall, I came to the realization that my goal was not going to be achieved. I was extremely disappointed and beat myself up mentally, but I knew that if I wanted to break through, I needed to get "uncomfortable" in the sense of challenging myself. So in November, I signed up for an indoor triathlon that my health club was organizing. I had 5 weeks to prepare mentally and physically. For most of the participants, it was just a fun event to benefit a local charitable organization, but for me, it was a big deal! It was about finishing, completing each leg to the best of my ability and doing so in a time that I was happy with.

The Tri consisted of a 200M swim, 15K on the spin bike and 2 mile run on the treadmill. The first time I did a "run through," I totally lost steam on the run and had to walk a good portion of it. Today, I completed each leg with my fastest times ever. I finished the entire race in about 56 minutes...woohoo! :bigsmile: So for those who browse the success stories (like I do) in hopes of posting one of your own, please remember that you can post success along the way in your journey. You define your own success and you can achieve anything you set your mind too. If I can do this...anyone can!

Before:

th_DSC_8999.jpg

th_69d169c26908ed31dc769fae9c2f7b58.jpg

My Success:

th_8216c0673ce767f0151d68fd99a4a874.jpg

th_761b43721f10ad68836f68bd71c1a1f6.jpg

Replies

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,005 Member
    Congrats!
    Great Job!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Amazing Michelle, so proud of you!!! Very inspiring, especially knowing that you had to struggle through days when you were not motivated or were losing the plot. Keep on keeping on.
  • sevosurfer
    sevosurfer Posts: 17 Member
    that's fantastic never mind the weight loss, your fitness levels must be so much better. keep at it
  • tenacious_turtle
    tenacious_turtle Posts: 24 Member
    Proud of you, girl! You inspire me!!! :)
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    That's how it gets done! Fantastic stuff Michelle :)
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    So proud of you! congrats on how far you have come!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Awesome job, keep it up!
  • WoodlarkEm
    WoodlarkEm Posts: 8 Member
    Congratulations! Great job! My fitness goals include some tri's this summer. Thank you for posting. You are an inspiration!
  • Congrats & great job!! :smile:
  • MandyPie621
    MandyPie621 Posts: 27 Member
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing this.. inspired
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Way cool! You are just way cool!
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Congratulations, what an accomplishment. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    So. Much. Bump. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love your success, in part because I know how hard some of the low has been. What MDG doesn't say here is that during her long plateau she also lost another dress size despite the scale not moving much. It's sooooo important to just keep moving!
  • 199WillDo
    199WillDo Posts: 87 Member
    You look AMAZING :bigsmile: Congrats on you new "Athlete" status :happy:
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you and how happy I am for you. You ROCK in so many ways!!!! I'm feel so proud to call you my Twinsie and my friend. :)
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I honestly don't think I could have pushed myself as much, had I not had the support from my amazing MFP friends! Your encouragement over the last 11 months has been invaluable. :flowerforyou:
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Congratulations, Meredith! That is a HUGE accomplishment!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    You are awesome anyway...this just adds to the legacy!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    CONGRATS!!!! So great!!!
  • fisch10
    fisch10 Posts: 18 Member
    Very Inspiring...congrats!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!