Self Esteem and Personal Image

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    I feel like I could've written this about myself. I am very, very introverted. I used to think something was wrong with me. Now, I understand that it's just who I am and that there are a LOT of similar people in the world.

When I was fat, I spent way too much time trying to match the labels other people gave me. I was the smart one or the quiet one or the chubby one or some other "type" that seemed to make the people around me more comfortable with themselves. And I tried really hard to live up to that so that I didn't have to be alone.

And then a funny thing happened about a year and a half after I started losing weight (and by that time, I had lost about 100 lbs). I suddenly became very sure of who I was and what I wanted from life. For the first time in my life, I had goals that did not revolve around school or work. My beliefs and values were clearer than ever. I felt this unbelievable sense of freedom, and I realized that it was because I no longer cared what other people wanted me to be or what they already thought I was. I don't need anyone else's approval, whether it's about my looks or my career or my training or anything else. You said it perfectly: I don't care. If I spend the rest of my life alone, I don't care because I feel really, really, fantastically lucky to be me. It is the most liberating feeling ever.

Congrats to you on a level of self-awareness that a lot of people fake really well but never actually achieve.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    tumblr_ml7c40V57q1rs4qpso1_500.gif
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Pretty darn awesome.

Internet_High_Five-s520x376-155626-505.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    i-request-the-highest-of-fives-himym.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    That was awesome. Just like you.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    :heart:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Saying s**t like that is why people will never like you. People like a brave facade which thinly masks a deep cavern of insecurity - it creates the need for constant support and validation!

Just kidding.
    0f20bba467e5535f7f1bed01af22ec2b.png
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Wow that all sounded extremely familiar to me.

High five bubba.
  • AcidWords21
    AcidWords21 Posts: 139 Member
    That's awesome man! Two thumbs up
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    COf3kFp.gif
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Yes you are awesome . You were one of the very first people i added a long time ago, when i first found this site because of how awesome you are.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've always been awesome. Once you make a habit of it, it's easy. :wink:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    tumblr_inline_mxm2mvUHQf1qz62ac.gif
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    755805.gif

ohyesdoctor.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Dang, man, that's some heavy stuff.

I had no idea.

Glad you figured out that you're awesome. Hope life decides to throw you a bone to make your circumstances even awesomer too.

:flowerforyou:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I am glad that I read this.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    :smile:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    tumblr_mf0tvtSYdP1rbe9qf.gif
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member