Darla - did you leave MFP altogether? Need lifting input.

Darla of the various names on here (you know who you are).... did you leave MFP altogether? I'm working on my weight lifting.... nowhere near your levels, but I'm finally working 3-digit numbers on my weights <g>. I'd love some of your input on form and such. You changed names and then disappeared again. Did you come back? Are you ever coming back?

I'm working on issues with my squat forms.

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I'm Darla. What can i help you with?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Hi! I've missed your posts. Anyway... glad you're still around.

I keep trying to squat deep all the way to parallel. I can stay upright in the torso until like the last 2 or so inches down... at that point, I find myself bending way forward. I don't know why. I was squatting 125. I backed off and went down to no weight body squats... still tended to bend forward only on the last 2". I'm back to using the barbell but now only 55lbs (barbell + 10 lbs) and I'm squatting down most of the way to parallel, but if I do the last 2", I bend. Any suggestions?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I'm Darla. What can i help you with?

:huh:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Hi! I've missed your posts. Anyway... glad you're still around.

I keep trying to squat deep all the way to parallel. I can stay upright in the torso until like the last 2 or so inches down... at that point, I find myself bending way forward. I don't know why. I was squatting 125. I backed off and went down to no weight body squats... still tended to bend forward only on the last 2". I'm back to using the barbell but now only 55lbs (barbell + 10 lbs) and I'm squatting down most of the way to parallel, but if I do the last 2", I bend. Any suggestions?

Oh god.
    I was kidding, sorry. I am not Darla.

Anyways, sounds like it's a mobility/flexibility issue. What helps a lot of people with bending forward is doing some front squats.

ETA: also try different foot positions, (wider, closer, toes out) until you find what i comfortable for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Well, this isn't awkward. Not at all.

Anyhoo, how much bend we talking. Some bend is normal, but folding up like a cheap lawn chair isn't desirable. Can't really say where it falls on the spectrum without visuals.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    OP, depending on what type back squat you are doing (low bar vs high bar) then you will bend forward and should be doing so

http://www.allthingsgym.com/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squat-back-squats/

also depending on your femur length in relation to your upper body then there will also be some amount of forward bend (ie short torso long leg)
    http://expertspages.com/2013/02/interactive-squat-shows-how-femur-length-affects-exercise/

i have long legs relative to my torso and i bend forward even on high bar squats. i'm like 99.99% certain that my form is correct because of my past training and competitions

ETA: unless we're talking about front squats. if so, then try to keep the bend as slight as possible
  • Doberdawn
    ROFLMAO.... DavPul.... folding up like a cheap lawn chair.... hahahahahaahhaa What an image!!!

Um.... hard to describe. A fellow lifter who saw me at the gym one day stopped to mention that I looked like I was doing "Good Mornings" or something like that.... Does that help?
  • Doberdawn
    also depending on your femur length in relation to your upper body then there will also be some amount of forward bend (ie short torso long leg)
    http://expertspages.com/2013/02/interactive-squat-shows-how-femur-length-affects-exercise/

I do have long legs and am short-waisted. Maybe that's part of the problem? Hmmmm... off to go read all the links you posted.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    ROFLMAO.... DavPul.... folding up like a cheap lawn chair.... hahahahahaahhaa What an image!!!

Um.... hard to describe. A fellow lifter who saw me at the gym one day stopped to mention that I looked like I was doing "Good Mornings" or something like that.... Does that help?

That helps quite a bit. And yeah, you're leaning WAY too far forward and putting too much strain on your back while limiting the benefit for your quads. Probably have all the weight on your toes instead of heels too.

Have someone at the gym that you trust help you with form. You can watch videos but it's hard to see what plane your body is in while you're actually lifting
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    I'm just commenting because I miss Darla also :cry: