I keep gaining weight...what am I doing wrong?

I don't know what to do anymore. I've been working my butt off in the gym running 5 miles every day, and eating between 1200-1400 calories (I don't eat back my exercise calories). I'm fairly new to this, but after losing two pounds, the scale just keeps going back up. I stepped on it today and was up another pound. What am I doing wrong? Eating too much, not working out enough? I just feel like crying, because it seems like the harder I try, the more the scale goes up.

(5'8 and 138lbs)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    a few things:

1) how long exactly have you been doing that routine
    2)MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise cals... so eat them!
    3) you are 5ft8 and 138lbs and trying to lose weight????
    4) do you weigh and measure everything you eat with scales?
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Sounds like a healthy weight for your height. I am 5'9" and hovering around 180 right now...I DO need to lose another 10-15, as I gained a little too much this fall.
  • a few things:

Thank you for replying!!

1) I've been running more seriously for the last couple months, but only in the last few weeks have I started to run almost every day.
    2) I'm honestly scared to do that, since it seems like I'll gain even more weight that way
    3) Mostly because I have extra skin from having three children, so unless I weigh less than normal, I look heavy.
    4) I don't - maybe I should start trying this? I do measure food, but not weigh it. I eat pretty clean, and I've assumed the food I logged was fairly accurate, nutrition-wise. Maybe I should look into weighing/measuring everything I eat?

I'm just exhausted.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    a few things:

Thank you for replying!!

1) I've been running more seriously for the last couple months, but only in the last few weeks have I started to run almost every day.
    2) I'm honestly scared to do that, since it seems like I'll gain even more weight that way
    3) Mostly because I have extra skin from having three children, so unless I weigh less than normal, I look heavy.
    4) I don't - maybe I should start trying this? I do measure food, but not weigh it. I eat pretty clean, and I've assumed the food I logged was fairly accurate, nutrition-wise. Maybe I should look into weighing/measuring everything I eat?

I'm just exhausted.

honestly, if you dont weigh everything i bet you are eating WAY more than 12-1400 cals, clean or not!

i would also recommend some strength/resistance training, you will get a lot better body than just running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    a few things:

Thank you for replying!!

I'm just exhausted.
    Without accurately weighing your food you have no real idea of what you are eating. In all likelihood you're eating far more than you think.
  • a few things:

Thank you for replying!!

I'm just exhausted.

honestly, if you dont weigh everything i bet you are eating WAY more than 12-1400 cals, clean or not!

i would also recommend some strength/resistance training, you will get a lot better body than just running.

Maybe you're right...I hadn't thought about that. I feel like I am eating so darn little, though...I'm always hungry.

Strength training is actually the one thing I've let go a little in the last few months. Last summer I weighed 115 (some eating issues), but once I got back to eating a little more and training with a friend of mine, I got up to this current weight. I haven't lifted as much in the last few months, but thankfully I still have fairly good muscle definition...and a round butt that I sort of hate but get compliments on a lot.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    I don't know what to do anymore. I've been working my butt off in the gym running 5 miles every day, and eating between 1200-1400 calories (I don't eat back my exercise calories). I'm fairly new to this, but after losing two pounds, the scale just keeps going back up. I stepped on it today and was up another pound. What am I doing wrong? Eating too much, not working out enough? I just feel like crying, because it seems like the harder I try, the more the scale goes up.

(5'8 and 138lbs)

If you run 5 miles every day I have the impression you calorie intake is way too low. Many people think with eating less they will lose weight, but that's a myth. Why don't you check your TDEE? I bet your BMR is already higher then that and sporting daily means quite active. This one has a daily sporting option:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    I had the same issue or I just wasn't losing at all. You want to guess what my problem was? I wasn't eating enough--once I started eating back my exercise calories, the weight began to fall off.
  • I don't know what to do anymore. I've been working my butt off in the gym running 5 miles every day, and eating between 1200-1400 calories (I don't eat back my exercise calories). I'm fairly new to this, but after losing two pounds, the scale just keeps going back up. I stepped on it today and was up another pound. What am I doing wrong? Eating too much, not working out enough? I just feel like crying, because it seems like the harder I try, the more the scale goes up.

(5'8 and 138lbs)

If you run 5 miles every day I have the impression you calorie intake is way too low. Many people think with eating less they will lose weight, but that's a myth. Why don't you check your TDEE? I bet your BMR is already higher then that and sporting daily means quite active. This one has a daily sporting option:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thanks! I did the 'heavy exercise' option since my job is not physical. It came to 2470. I have to confess that I'm fairly uneducated about TDEE and how it relates to eating.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    I'm guessing you're net calories are far too low, especially considering your daily running and height. It's best if you calculate your TDEE accurately and go from there. As a reference I'm 5'1 and had to bump my intake up to 1800-2000 when I wasn't losing at 1300-1400. (Though everyone is different, and my calorie goals had more to do with how my body reacts to heavy lifting)
  • I had the same issue or I just wasn't losing at all. You want to guess what my problem was? I wasn't eating enough--once I started eating back my exercise calories, the weight began to fall off.

I've heard this, but to be honest I have a very hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that eating more = weight loss. Of course, this might be because of my personal issues, as well.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member

I'm just exhausted.

1. This is good, generally speaking. I run nearly every day (I do not run in the rain).
    2. You need a deficit to lose weight. Small deficits are good because you need them. Large deficits --hundreds of calories-- are not good. You will get tired, you will binge, you are not eating in a lifetime sustainable way. MFP is about changing your eating/exercise habits for a lifetime.
    3. This is a sign that you need to add weight lifting to your regimen. Running drops weight, but it doesn't reshape you in quite the way you want. Runners get thinner and thinner ALL OVER, not in just one place. Lifters build muscle ALL OVER which makes them often more pleasing to their own eyes...even the eyes of others!
    4. You must accurately measure everything you eat, and accurately record your runs.

I am a 65 year-old male. 5'7", and 142 lbs. My goal weight is 135 lbs. At your height and weight you are almost dead-center of your BMI range --just slightly under, actually. Losing more weight may be harder for you, since your body currently does not have a lot of extra fat to lose. You might consider weight lifting "heavy" 3 or even 4 days a week focusing on your core, and running the other days. If you go this route, you will need at least one rest day. So, you could lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and rest on Sunday.

Good luck!
  • I'm guessing you're net calories are far too low, especially considering your daily running and height. It's best if you calculate your TDEE accurately and go from there. As a reference I'm 5'1 and had to bump my intake up to 1800-2000 when I wasn't losing at 1300-1400. (Though everyone is different, and my calorie goals had more to do with how my body reacts to heavy lifting)

This. It sounds like an oxymoron but if you're body isn't getting enough, it's gonna hold on to what it's got and what little calories you're eating. At 5'8 you should be eating much more than that. Also consider doing more weight training instead just running.
  • chandanders
    chandanders Posts: 51 Member
    I had the same problem, and once I started eating back my exercise calories, the weight flew off. It was a relief, and also nice to fit in some extra food ;)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    My advice is to get a scale and start weighing your food. Set MFP to lose half a pound per week and then eat back half of your exercise calories. Alternately, use a TDEE calculator to calculate your TDEE and then take away 10%, and eat that. You would not eat back exercise calories with that method.

Either method should work and they ought to be fairly close in gross calories. It just matters whether you like the idea of earning more calories with exercise or whether you'd rather eat the same amount every day.

If your TDEE is 2470 you would be eating 2200 roughly with the TDEE method. But if you do that, you have to be very accurate with your logging because you can easily wipe out a 10% deficit with inaccuracies.

Either way, do some resistance training. That will improve your body composition.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member

(5'8 and 138lbs)

The key to weight loss is in your tracking. Besides carbs, protein and fat, what are you tracking?????

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • 1) I've been running more seriously for the last couple months, but only in the last few weeks have I started to run almost every day.

I'm just exhausted.

1. This is good, generally speaking. I run nearly every day (I do not run in the rain).
    2. You need a deficit to lose weight. Small deficits are good because you need them. Large deficits --hundreds of calories-- are not good. You will get tired, you will binge, you are not eating in a lifetime sustainable way. MFP is about changing your eating/exercise habits for a lifetime.
    3. This is a sign that you need to add weight lifting to your regimen. Running drops weight, but it doesn't reshape you in quite the way you want. Runners get thinner and thinner ALL OVER, not in just one place. Lifters build muscle ALL OVER which makes them often more pleasing to their own eyes...even the eyes of others!
    4. You must accurately measure everything you eat, and accurately record your runs.

I am a 65 year-old male. 5'7", and 142 lbs. My goal weight is 135 lbs. At your height and weight you are almost dead-center of your BMI range --just slightly under, actually. Losing more weight may be harder for you, since your body currently does not have a lot of extra fat to lose. You might consider weight lifting "heavy" 3 or even 4 days a week focusing on your core, and running the other days. If you go this route, you will need at least one rest day. So, you could lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and rest on Sunday.

Good luck!

Thanks! I have been meaning to get back to more lifting, especially since it helps my running. The other reason I run a lot is because I am trying to improve my 5k time for next year, so that is a big part of it. But I know that when I was lifting more and doing a lot of leg exercises, my running improved as well.
  • I don't know what to do anymore. I've been working my butt off in the gym running 5 miles every day, and eating between 1200-1400 calories (I don't eat back my exercise calories). I'm fairly new to this, but after losing two pounds, the scale just keeps going back up. I stepped on it today and was up another pound. What am I doing wrong? Eating too much, not working out enough? I just feel like crying, because it seems like the harder I try, the more the scale goes up.

(5'8 and 138lbs)

The key to weight loss is in your tracking. Besides carbs, protein and fat, what are you tracking?????

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

I'm so new to this that I'm not sure what else I can be tracking. Are we talking about vitamins? I know that if I reduce carbs, it's easier for me to lose weight, but it also becomes harder for me to run.
  • I had the same problem, and once I started eating back my exercise calories, the weight flew off. It was a relief, and also nice to fit in some extra food ;)

It sounds like maybe I should be giving that a try, and tracking a lot better (weighing/measuring). It would be really, really nice to eat more food. I'm exhausted all the time, and I've been wondering if I'm not eating enough, which then I tell myself is silly, considering I can't seem to lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I don't personally put much faith in the body holding on to calories theory. It is true that large deficits can make fat loss inefficient and fluid retention from the stress you're putting on your body can hide weight loss for awhile. When you increase calories you'll often see a drop in water weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Here's a look at "starvation mode" science that you might find interesting-- it's got references.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss