lost all christmas spirit

Replies

• angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    One day is not going to ruin your overall progress. Enjoy today, enjoy your family.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    THANKYOU!!! <3
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Enjoy yourself and eat a big salad. Don't worry so much. You don't have to eat to be with your family.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    i visited my family a while back and what can only be explained as a TWO week binge when i was back home. in the end i put on maybe 1.5lbs. i think your one night of going in the red is not gonna have much of an effect...
  • LishieFruit89,

Having a healthy idea of food is extremely difficult when it is something you have struggled with consistently. Going over in calories isn't an idea that is easily understood as okay when you are struggling. It's easy for some, but not for all.

is it not possible to allow one day where you dont have to control everything? Would this be a good day to focus more on a spiritual or meditative balance instead of food? I think most of us arent concerned with the idea of healthy food but a healthy mind. I'll be frank it sounds borderline as if one is almost suffering from an ED to self isolate or have to feel guilty for putting food in the mouth that is usually only saved for special occasions. We all know intuitively that a day of allowing yourself an indulgence is not going to put a lot of weight on the body. Most of that is lost when you start back on a healthful eating plan and moderate exercise.

I didnt get to 365lbs because I ate a little extra on Christmas. I got to 365lbs because I was not conscious and didnt practice mindful, moderate, sensible eating.

A healthy idea of food is a healthy mind. That's what I meant.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    LishieFruit89,

Having a healthy idea of food is extremely difficult when it is something you have struggled with consistently. Going over in calories isn't an idea that is easily understood as okay when you are struggling. It's easy for some, but not for all.

is it not possible to allow one day where you dont have to control everything? Would this be a good day to focus more on a spiritual or meditative balance instead of food? I think most of us arent concerned with the idea of healthy food but a healthy mind. I'll be frank it sounds borderline as if one is almost suffering from an ED to self isolate or have to feel guilty for putting food in the mouth that is usually only saved for special occasions. We all know intuitively that a day of allowing yourself an indulgence is not going to put a lot of weight on the body. Most of that is lost when you start back on a healthful eating plan and moderate exercise.

I didnt get to 365lbs because I ate a little extra on Christmas. I got to 365lbs because I was not conscious and didnt practice mindful, moderate, sensible eating.

A healthy idea of food is a healthy mind. That's what I meant.

It may not be easy, but it's worth it. Having a healthy mind takes work just like having a healthy body, and that means practicing good habits and mindsets about food. I don't think pretending it's poison is going to be helpful in the long run. YMMV
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    I'm proud of you for sticking it out..... but you still need to live life. Go down, enjoy the company and spirit. Pretend the goodies are poison. You're changing habits for a better life I hope, not to hide out from your current one.

NO.

OP, it's one day. One. Day. Yeah you might go over today, but you can work out an extra day this week, you can go slightly under for the rest of the week, or you can just let loose and get back on track tomorrow. You're not going to gain back any weight in one day, so go and enjoy your family and food and don't fear occasions like this! Have fun, go overboard once in a while and get back on the next day.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    It's one day. No one got fat in one day or even a week. You still have all week to balance everything out.

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/

ETA: The fact that you're hiding from family because your scared of possibly going way over on cals isn't healthy. Healthy isn't just a physical thing, it is a mental thing too. Please, go spend time with your loved ones and don't let fear of food or calories rule you like this.
    ^^comletely agree. This is a lifestyle change and holidays are part of life. We have to enjoy and learn moderation and self control.
    Go enjoy Christmas and ur family. Hit the gym this week and keep drinking that water! Cheers!
    Shan
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Trust me OP, it's all of the other days that matter and trying to be consistent over the long term. Don't worry about enjoying Christmas food with your family. Go down, laugh with your family, eat a little duck, or eat a lot. Call this week's loss a wash and get back to eating at a deficit once the holidays are over. Don't punish yourself.

Last year I didn't keep a deficit over the holidays (as I'm not this year), I still met a lot of major fitness goals. It didn't derail me. It's really and truly only one day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP - one day did not make you obese and one day is not going to get you off track…go downstairs, enjoy the food and family, and eat in a deficit the day after christmas..

as long has you have made long term changes that are sustainable one day is not going to ruin you ..

I ate about 400 calories over today and will probably be over tomorrow, but goes what/ It is only TWO days out of the entire year.. I know that these two days will not make me fat, because I have the right eating and training regimen in place to make long term changes that will work for me…

good luck and merry christmas!
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    You could take a small plate and take a little bit of what you would like to try and then enjoy and eat it slowly. That way you don't feel left out and resentful. You want to live a sustainable lifestyle and one day won' t destroy all the progress you have made, as long as you hop back on the wagon right away. A small salad plate will limit your portion sizes to where you hopefully will not go over by too much, and you can still savor every bit of the food you chose to put on there. Drink water which will also help curb your apatite.
    Merry Christmas.
  • blackbeauty2011
    blackbeauty2011 Posts: 17 Member
    A life style change is just that - a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. We cannot expect that we will never have a cookie, ice cream, sweets, etc again, but we can decide to eat in small portions and exercise for balance and a healthy lifestyle. Motivation and obsession are two different things-do not let food control your emotions-that is the beginning of eating disorders and other unhealthy mindsets. You may find that you are pushing yourself too far-letting food put fear in you is dangerous. YOU are in control. YOU can decide when you've eaten too much. YOU can choose to exercise. HIDING from food will not help you-learning how to have self control will.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    well im feeling down on Christmas. I ate up all my calories through the day and well im upstairs while everyone is enjoying themselves at the table. could really use a friend, because I lost all my Christmas spirit. im trying to repress the cravings cause they have duck downstairs, caviar, rice....I could really go for a piece of duck but no calories.

anyone feel free to add me, im dieing here. I really want something but im upstairs, drinking water all night.

You are making a long term change. There are days where you should, you NEED, to let go and have some fun. Eating beyond your limits should not deter you from success. As long as you are aware what you are doing, it is a good thing to have some days off. It only becomes a problem when you go back to old habits.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    ok I guess ill go, im going to bring my bottle of water and take sips.

Or you could down and eat sensibly. This is for life, you need to figure out how to make it work or you're going to fail.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    lol we eat (and diet) to live, not live to eat (or diet)! you can't spent the whole of your days just eating, whatever you eat. go, spend time with your family and enjoy xmas! you'll do some sport tomorrow, get some positive feelings from what you do and you won't need to worry
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    thanks for all the thoughtful comments! I ate duck salad and had some caviar. no rice though or mashed potatoe. I did good. im happy now. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It is one day...you should enjoy your friends and family...you can't derail anything in one day, it is meaningless in the grand scheme of everything. Go enjoy your friends and family. These special days with them are precious and you never know when the last one will be.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Awesome! Enjoy your Christmas!

Yesterday and today I'm over by 1200 calories easily (for each day)! It's the holiday and I'm on a 2 day hiatus. Just too much to indulge myself and, by the gods! I did!
  • Congrats! :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    thanks for all the thoughtful comments! I ate duck salad and had some caviar. no rice though or mashed potatoe. I did good. im happy now. :)

That's great. Good for you!