Shirataki/Miracle noodles - anyone lost weight eating them?

Replies

• ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member

and remember the slim pasta has less calories so only temporarily fills you up at the meal (similar to a glass or water) later you will be hungry.. but sometimes it removes the mental block and tells your brain you've had dinner and your full and finished.. which might be half the battle, depending on your issues with food.

It may be just me but this isn't true for me, they keep me feeling full and it doesn't wear off. I actually don't feel like eating again after I've had them. They keep me feeling more full than normal pasta or noodles an most other foods in general.
    But again it may just be me. :)
    I'd definitely just say give them a try and see how they work for you because everyone is different :)
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    I eat them in a weird way.. I would boil like 400g of them then take a pack of instant ramen with a flavor packet that I like, and throw away the ramen then just place the konjac noodles in the msg soup :laugh:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Hi wow no one is answering you properly... yes i have eaten them, yes you lose weight with them. They aren't a chemical fake like diet soda, its like shredding carrot and eating it as a pasta alternative and works the same.
    They are featured in the Michelle Bridges diet which is where i first learnt of them.
    i think though that they are still a processed food, so not quite as good as say shredding carrot. but if you, say, want to eat a vietamese pho or low cal laksa the angel hair ones are good as they are of a similar texture.

you gotta fake it to make it... so
    puree cauliflower instead of mash potato
    slim pasta instead of rice noodles (and pasta at a pinch)

one tip though from a person who has lost 40kg if you go on a diet that requires say Low Carb.. it works, but only until you find substitutes for carbs like atkin products etc. if you want to know why let me know.

the same would go for this.. you shouldn't use it so you can enjoy creamy pasta.. you will fail. because your not training your body to simply eat better food...
    and remember the slim pasta has less calories so only temporarily fills you up at the meal (similar to a glass or water) later you will be hungry.. but sometimes it removes the mental block and tells your brain you've had dinner and your full and finished.. which might be half the battle, depending on your issues with food.

um...say again?
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    They are awful, awful noodles.

^^^ This. I eat the real thing and still lose weight.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    I eat them in a weird way.. I would boil like 400g of them then take a pack of instant ramen with a flavor packet that I like, and throw away the ramen then just place the konjac noodles in the msg soup :laugh:

I do this also and eat 2 pack's of these noodles most days.....just rinse well....I have been able to lose weight.....they are zero calories....I also will mix them with a boiled egg and some mayo or chicken or tuna and mayo and salt and eat cold....nice low calorie meal
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    I'm eating them right now with peanut sauce + broccoli - delish! 278 calories for the whole recipe (I used a LOT of broccoli). I rinse twice and then dry-fry the noodles for a few minutes on med-high heat until they're a little sticky to get the water out before adding to a dish.

Peanut sauce = 1 tbsp + 1 tsp PB, 2 tbsp almond milk (any milk), 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/8 tsp crushed garlic, and a pinch of stevia. Heat in microwave until combined, stirring every 10 seconds. Add noodles and stir; add frozen broccoli + chopped scallions (optional) and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. I ended up adding 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Soyaki at the end as well because I wanted it a little sweeter. Dig in! So filling! Would be great with chicken or tofu in there too for more protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm eating them right now with peanut sauce + broccoli - delish! 278 calories for the whole recipe (I used a LOT of broccoli). I rinse twice and then dry-fry the noodles for a few minutes on med-high heat until they're a little sticky to get the water out before adding to a dish.

Peanut sauce = 1 tbsp + 1 tsp PB, 2 tbsp almond milk (any milk), 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/8 tsp crushed garlic, and a pinch of stevia. Heat in microwave until combined, stirring every 10 seconds. Add noodles and stir; add frozen broccoli + chopped scallions (optional) and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. I ended up adding 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Soyaki at the end as well because I wanted it a little sweeter. Dig in! So filling! Would be great with chicken or tofu in there too for more protein.
    sounds fabulous.
  • Hi!!! So in my weightless journey I definitely ate these a lot. The texture is difficult to get used to for some but you definitely can! I won't attribute my weight loss to it because I was at a calorie deficit but I definitely included it in my diet because I love pasta. I found the best way to cook it was to rinse and then put it in boiling water like regular pasta! Strain it and stick it back in the pot then put some low cal tomato sauce and veggies in it and let it all simmer together!!! I would actually crave it at times. Good luck :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    The only thing that " causes " weight loss is eating less than a person burns; in short: eating at a deficit.
    That of course can include low cal foods like Shirataki noodles . However none of them are the reason for weight loss. The only reasons that counts is caloric deficit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Well for a start THERE ARE NO ZERO CALORIE FOODS OR DRINKS. Water & air are the only things with 0 calories. So let's get that out of the way cause I cant stand it that people think there are 0cal things out there.

I eat the noodles often, I've lost weight, but not cause I eat them. I lost weight because I work hard at losing weight & keeping at a deficit as well as working out. The noodles are not what caused me to lose weight.
  • Ang108

If you stick to your CALORIE DEFICIT, has anyone LOST weight eating them?

With all due respect, your question makes absolutely no sense.
    When eating at a DEFICIT and " sticking to it ", it does not matter what you eat, you always will lose weight; everybody will....even if you eat nothing but Twinkies or burritos or have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Dairy Queen. When eating at a deficit Shirataiki noddles are just another kind of noodles.....nothing more.
  • Ang108
    Also, a long-term study of nearly 3,700 residents of San Antonio, Texas, showed that those who averaged three or more artificially sweetened beverages a day were more likely to have gained weight over an eight-year period than those who didn’t drink artificially sweetened beverages.
    All that showed was that they were likely to put on weight not that the drinks caused it. Unless those 3700 residents were on exactly the same diet with exactly the same activity levels in a controlled environment it is impossible to take one factor and draw such a conclusion

I have read several studies ( albeit not American ones ) that claim the artificially sweetened food, with diet soft drinks the biggest part, keep a person's craving for sweet things alive. While a diet soft drink does not by itself cause weight gain, most people who drink a lot of artificially sweetened drinks also endulge in other sweet, often normal calorie foods, like bakery goods, ice cream, processed foods ( that often have a lot of sugar, even though they do not taste sweet ) and those of course, if over endulged pack on weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

When eating at a DEFICIT and " sticking to it ", it does not matter what you eat, you always will lose weight; everybody will....even if you eat nothing but Twinkies or burritos or have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Dairy Queen. When eating at a deficit Shirataiki noddles are just another kind of noodles.....nothing more.
    Ah yes, I remember this thread. the OP was comparing shiritaki noodles to diet soda. I couldn't wrap my mind around her thinking.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    I eat these noodles regularly. I buy the House Foods Tofu Shirataki Angel Hair variety. I do eat regular pasta from time to time but in very small quantities. I am carb and gluten sensitive and just feel my best energy wise and less bloated keeping my carb macro around 75-100g a day....these noodles help me do that! I have lost 40+ lbs incorporating these in to a meal or two during the week. The noodles are minimally processed, contain no preservatives and are gluten free. They are made from Yam and Tofu (soybean). I eat an entire 8oz bag which is only 40 calories, 6g of carbs, 2g of fiber, 0 sugar and 1g protein. I rinse them well in hot water and then microwave for about two minutes. They have a really fishy smell but as soon as they are heated up that diminishes and they take on the flavor of what ever you mix with them.

My favorite way to eat them is with leftovers like chicken/steak and broccoli tossed in with a few tablespoons of red curry sauce from Trader Joe's. I also love them with ground turkey, a little taco seasoning, a sprinkling of cheese and a side salad. It's a quick healthy meal and is very filling.

These noodles have become more mainstream and I see them in most of the big grocery chains now. I used to have to make a special trip to a Natural Foods store to purchase. I am at maintenance but will continue to buy these and incorporate them in to my meal rotation :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    Also, a long-term study of nearly 3,700 residents of San Antonio, Texas, showed that those who averaged three or more artificially sweetened beverages a day were more likely to have gained weight over an eight-year period than those who didn’t drink artificially sweetened beverages.
    I bet those that didn't drink 3 or 4 diet sodas a day weren't drinking 3 or 4 regular soda's a day.......these types of studies are dumb. People that drink lots of diet soda's are probably trying very hard to control their eating while the people that don't guzzle diet pop probably eat totally different to the demographic that do. Earth shattering.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Jeez opinions are like...
    I'm asking people who actually do eat them what your experiences are please.
    I dont care if you dont like them and dont eat them.
    I am asking because I wonder if they actually stall weight loss, despite being zero calorie, like diet drinks, I wonder if they fool your body into NOT losing weight.
    Would only like the opinions of people who actually eat them please.

They won't 'stall' your weight loss, and neither do diet sodas. No, I haven't eaten them, but you are getting a response because this is a public forum, and anyone is free to post and comment. So deal. :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

It's because she is under the mistaken impression that there are foods or drinks that will keep you from losing weight, period.
  • I'm eating them right now with peanut sauce + broccoli - delish! 278 calories for the whole recipe (I used a LOT of broccoli). I rinse twice and then dry-fry the noodles for a few minutes on med-high heat until they're a little sticky to get the water out before adding to a dish.

Sounds delicious!

OP, there's a woman on MFP who eats them often and has posted a number of different recipes using them. I think you will find her if you do a search for Shirataki noodles on the recipe forums. I'm pretty sure that she's lost a good deal of weight eating them most days.

Found it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667310-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles-the-continuation?hl=Shirataki+noodle+recipe
  • Lol, just realised that this is an old thread. I officially have too much time on my hands. :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    If YOU EAT shirataki noodles or miracle noodles, have you actually lost weight while eating them and sticking to your daily calorie goal?
    If I eat these noodles and stick to my calorie goals, I will lose weight. In fact, if I eat anything at all and stick to my calorie goals I will lose weight. I've never heard of these. However, I'm pretty sure there's no magic to them and I'm also sure if people lose weight while eating them that it's due to a calorie deficit.
    There are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content.
    It has not been my experience that there are foods that stall weight loss regardless of their calorie content, and I've lost 34 pounds eating everything I want. The key is moderation and eating less calories than you burn.