Daily Check-in and Chat

So I started the Advanced program on Monday. So far I really like it. I think it's because of the change from all the heavy lifting I have been doing lately. I was up to squatting 130 lbs which is 3 lbs away from my body weight and I had begun dreading putting more weight on the bar. Also, I was finished in less time than I'm used to which was GREAT.

I'm so excited about this program. Even though yesterday was Christmas day I still did one of the bodyweight workouts. That's one of the things I like about this book, giving options for when you just can't make it to the gym. I really hope I get good results.

Replies

• dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Okay, I've got the book and I think I will give it a try. Starting tomorrow, Friday the 27th.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    An old shoulder injury flared up and derailed me this week. Thinking of doing the glute only version for a week or so. It is good to have options.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Yea, options are GREAT. I feel like I have no reason to miss a workout now since my options are wide and varied. Sorry about your shoulder Gigi, but happy you don't have to give up the program altogether. Give that shoulder a break and work on getting those gorgeous glutes.

AFM, I did workout 3 today and really liked it. Not sure why, I think it's just a nice change from what I've been doing. I'll be doing workout 2 tomorrow. Yea, I know, I've mixed it up but I did that on purpose.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    I got the book for xmas and read through it all day yesterday. Today I started with Workout A as well as a mile of interval sprints and added in a few circuit machines. I am not new to lifting but usually just use circuit machines. I also play tennis 3-5 times a week so I'm getting a ton of cardio. I'm at goal weight and looking to put on more muscle and lose a little more fat.
  • jamaicanlady
    I wish I was at my goal weight so I could just work on body composition. Anyway, 8 lbs or so to go depending on how much damage the christmas feast did. Won't know until my weigh-in on Sunday.

Which of the programs are you following Jules?
  • GiGiBeans
    Did the lower body only one tonight, modified to add weight instead of bodyweight. Yowies, my glutes are burning! Also, first time doing hip thrusts in the gym - glad it was pretty empty. Also first time doing back extensions and felt like a total noob getting on the thing. Got it done tho! Feeling fierce :blushing:
  • GiGiBeans
    I wish I was at my goal weight so I could just work on body composition. Anyway, 8 lbs or so to go depending on how much damage the christmas feast did.

I stopped before my goal weight because I was getting thinner than I wanted on top. You can see my ribs thru a snug shirt, meanwhile my thighs are not much smaller than my waist, bleh. I ran, lifted and ate at maintenance for 4 months or so and was not progressing with my weights. Could have been the running interfering, who knows. Anyway, started overeating a bit around the holidays and noticed my lifts going up. Figured I'd do Strong Curves with a 250 cal surplus and see how it goes.
  • Citrusgirrl
    Citrusgirrl Posts: 21 Member
    Hello! I'm new to MFP and Strong Curves. I started the beginner's programme today with workout A but added weight to a lot of stuff that I have previously been using weight on (squats, glute bridges, hip abductions). I feel like I could attempt the advanced programme in some aspects but not the pull-ups or push-ups, so I'm going to stick with the beginners but add weight in where I can.
  • GiGiBeans
    Hello! I'm new to MFP and Strong Curves. I started the beginner's programme today with workout A but added weight to a lot of stuff that I have previously been using weight on (squats, glute bridges, hip abductions). I feel like I could attempt the advanced programme in some aspects but not the pull-ups or push-ups, so I'm going to stick with the beginners but add weight in where I can.

Hiya! I was set to do the beginners and messed my shoulder up. I debated the advanced too but he really stresses form and activating the glutes so I figured I'd go with the beginners. Plus some of the moves outside basic compounds are new to me. I definitely am feeling my glutes today after all the focusing and squeezing whereas before I hardly ever felt my glutes working, just my quads as he talks about! I'm excited! This old butt needs more lift.

Edited for spelling - autocorrect keeps changing glutes to flutes :laugh:
  • Citrusgirrl
    Good point. I guess it doesn't matter too much if I'm adding weight earlier on as long as my form is fine. When I get to the advanced bit I can just add even more :D Great to hear that you can really feel it in your glutes! I'm looking forward to having a nice behind too!
  • jamaicanlady
    Welcome Citrus! Like u, I can't do pull ups either, only negatives. I decided to do the Advanced programme anyhow because I had started incorporating hip thrusts and glute bridges into my previous program and think I've got the technique down pat. Also, I can do most of the other things he mentions at the beginning of the chapter.

Anyway, doing Beginner and adding weight is a great idea I think until you're confident about your form.

Gigi I'm so looking forward to having a nice butt, it's already started to shape up.
  • Citrusgirrl
    Hmmm, I did Workout B from the beginners programme yesterday and even with added weight on things that weight could be added on, it wasn't all that challenging. Well, not as challenging as my recent self-designed workouts have been. I'm wondering if I should switch to advanced and just do earlier progressions of the things I can't manage (negative or assisted pull-ups and incline push ups, for example). I have a lot of weight to lose which can't help with push ups or pull ups! I am loving the glute work though. I can definitely feel the pump in my glutes afterwards! Must take 'before' pictures...
  • jamaicanlady
    Hmmm, I did Workout B from the beginners programme yesterday and even with added weight on things that weight could be added on, it wasn't all that challenging. Well, not as challenging as my recent self-designed workouts have been. I'm wondering if I should switch to advanced and just do earlier progressions of the things I can't manage (negative or assisted pull-ups and incline push ups, for example). I have a lot of weight to lose which can't help with push ups or pull ups! I am loving the glute work though. I can definitely feel the pump in my glutes afterwards! Must take 'before' pictures...

If you feel that way, I say switch. You've been working out with weights for a while now so I don't think it should be a problem. And like you said, there are ways to make the stuff you can't do manageable. Like on days when I have chin ups I do lat pulldowns instead.

AFM, still haven't made it to the gym yet this week because it's been closed since last week and doesn't reopen till tomorrow (that's what happens when you live in the rural part of a 3rd world country :grumble: ). So anyway, I did 2A from the bodyweight program at home yesterday. It was nice and had me breathing hard. I had forgotten how great supersets are at really getting your heart rate up. Thanks Strong Curves for reminding me. I will be back to regular scheduled programming tomorrow so will be doing Advanced 2B.
  • dafoots0911
    Good morning, ladies. Started from the beginning the advanced program. Switched some things up. Here is what I did or changed:

Tuesday, Workout A
    A1 Barbell Glute Bridge: Don't like those, don't need bigger glutes (thank God) so did Single-elevated hip thrust 3x 10/15/15 per side.
    It is still a good burn so I'm pleased with that switch. I can always add ankle weights if needed.
    A2 One Arm DB row: As directed. Always had a pretty strong back so I started with 20lb db. I will increase at week 3. 3x 10/12/15
    B1 Barbell Box Squat: As directed. I like that it's a wider stance (used the bench) so felt the inner thighs a little more.
    B2 Dumbell Incline Bench Press: As directed. 20lb db definitely will increase weight wk 3. 3x 10/10/12.
    Barbell American Deadlift: As directed. Have experience with these from Stronglifts so started with 95 x 6 / 115 x 6 / 125 x 6.
    Standing Cable Abduction: As directed. 10 pounds 1x16. Felt the burn so have to make it to 20 reps by end of 4 weeks.
    RKC Plank: As directed. Harder than I thought. 1x50 seconds.
    Side Planks: As directed. Used to do these and haven't done them for a while but did 45 seconds/side. Will make it harder week 3 and hopefully will be up to the full 60 seconds by then.

Today, Workout B:
    A1 Body weight elevated single-leg hip thrust: As directed. Felt the burn in hamstrings and glutes. I like these. 3x10/side.
    A2 Chin-up: Assisted chin-ups with the band. 3x 4/6/7. You would think I could do these unassisted considering that I have (at least I thought I had) good upper body strength. I mean, I can do 100 lb cable rows but can't pull my 149 body up. Maybe it's this big 'ol *kitten* holding me back, gravity. :laugh:
    B1 Dumbell High step: Did these with a low step about 12 inches. I have knee issues so I won't go too much higher than that and that's fine with me. (Heidi, I know these are your favorites):wink: . 10 lb db 10/12/12. Will up the weight and height wk 3.
    B2 Barbell Military Press: As directed. Another Stronglift move so experienced in these. 45x10 50x9 50x10. A whole different thing doing higher reps. Will increase by week 3.
    Prisoner Single-leg back extension: I don't have the apparatus used to do these so I used my swiss ball and did back exensions with 10lb dumbell behind my neck. Didn't really feel this in hamstrings and glutes, but did in low back. 2x15.
    Banded seat abduction: As directed. No joke. Felt these more than anticipated.
    Straight Leg sit-up: Used Swiss ball. 10lb db 20 reps. Will increase weight wk 3.
    45 degree side bend: Don't have the apparatus so did 5lb db side bend.

Have to plan my workout ahead of time because I am making changes to some of the moves. I wish they had the page numbers listed for the exercises because trying to find the exercise and going back and forth is time-consuming. :frown:
    But all-in-all, I'm really liking the workouts.

Anyway, ladies I'm hanging in there. Happy to take this journey with you guys. Will post Workout C Saturday or Sunday.
    My weight is at 149 right now and I'll give measurements before and after once I've completed week 4.

Now, how was your workout?:wink:
  • Citrusgirrl
    Jamaicanlady - I hope your gym opens soon! Well done on kicking *kitten* at the bodyweight stuff in the meantime :D

dafoots - Thanks for posting your workout! It was a really interesting read.

I did do an advanced today and that was much more like it! I was really pushed for time though and didn't get it all done. Next week I'll do advanced with a few substitutions (as well as not being able to do pull ups, I have a back injury at the moment and have to avoid some movements) and concentrate on sticking to it and getting the weight up :D

I should add that my glutes have been feeling it every day and I am getting much better at using them both at the gym and during other movements. Woop!
  • jamaicanlady
    No Darlene, I do NOT like step ups. I like Bulgarian split squats though so I've switched out step ups for the split squats. I've been feeling a little pain in my right knee and I *think* it might be the step ups so I'm giving them a break and see.

The workouts you posted, are those week 1 or week 2?

I've been enjoying the workouts so far. I especially like C because of the Turkish get ups. Now those are interesting and challenging.

I've been mixing up when I do the workouts so I actually did 2C today. Now I'm tired. Too tired to post what I did but I haven't been going very heavy because the supersets kill me.
  • jamaicanlady
    Jamaicanlady - I hope your gym opens soon! Well done on kicking *kitten* at the bodyweight stuff in the meantime :D

dafoots - Thanks for posting your workout! It was a really interesting read.

I did do an advanced today and that was much more like it! I was really pushed for time though and didn't get it all done. Next week I'll do advanced with a few substitutions (as well as not being able to do pull ups, I have a back injury at the moment and have to avoid some movements) and concentrate on sticking to it and getting the weight up :D

I should add that my glutes have been feeling it every day and I am getting much better at using them both at the gym and during other movements. Woop!
    Oh my gosh! My glutes were BURNING me today after the barbell hip thrusts. 20 reps is no joke! Yay for moving over to Advanced!
  • Citrusgirrl
    Alas I'm struggling to do the supersets. For each and every workout the equipment/space I would require are at quite different places in the gym. I also find getting in and out of the position for hip thrusts very time consuming and ungainly, so once I'm under that bar I stay under until I'm done! When I can hip thrust 60kg that should get easier as with a 20kg plate on each end I'll be able to roll the bar properly over my legs. For now I have to half roll/half lift it to get it on, and then fiddle with a bit of padding to make the whole thing comfortable. Gah! I wouldn't stick with it except that the burn is AWESOME and I swear I can feel the pump in my glutes for a day after :D

What weight are people hip thrusting at the moment?

Dafoots - in my copy the page number for the exercise is written on the picture on the workout page. It would take forever to find them otherwise! Is it not the same in yours?
  • dafoots0911
    Alas I'm struggling to do the supersets. For each and every workout the equipment/space I would require are at quite different places in the gym. I also find getting in and out of the position for hip thrusts very time consuming and ungainly, so once I'm under that bar I stay under until I'm done! When I can hip thrust 60kg that should get easier as with a 20kg plate on each end I'll be able to roll the bar properly over my legs. For now I have to half roll/half lift it to get it on, and then fiddle with a bit of padding to make the whole thing comfortable. Gah! I wouldn't stick with it except that the burn is AWESOME and I swear I can feel the pump in my glutes for a day after :D

What weight are people hip thrusting at the moment?

Dafoots - in my copy the page number for the exercise is written on the picture on the workout page. It would take forever to find them otherwise! Is it not the same in yours?
    No, mine is not written anywhere. Maybe they came out with another edition because of all the complaints. I just take the time a few nights before to write the page number on the log sheet.

I understand what you mean about the time consuming hip thrust. That is why I have chosen to use some of the other alternatives. I have a home gym and it became too much of a chore for me to do all that maneuvering so that is why I chose to do an alternative rather than abandon the whole program. So this is what works for me. But believe me when I say those alternatives are still effective.
  • GiGiBeans
    Citrus, maybe this is of some help?
    http://mollygalbraith.com/2013/03/barbell-hip-thrust-solutions-and-tips/

I'm continuing with the Gorgeous Glutes, Lower Body only program until my shoulder is better and loving it! Every time I move I feel my glutes now. Part of that is because I added weight to bodyweight exercises but didn't think to decrease the reps, heh. Well guess it's for practicing form!

I'm new to hip thrusts so am only lifting the bar right now and focusing on form. Squeeze, squueze, squeeze and burn!