What's your current career? What would you rather be doing?

Current - Human Resources Generalist (have a degree and everything...)
Wish - Anything with animals. I seriously chose the wrong career!

Replies

• fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    I'm a travel agent, although I have a bachelor's in design and a master's in international studies haha. What would I rather be doing? Sleeping at home right now -_- career-wise? I like my job, although I've thought it'd be fun to be a janitor (srs).
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    I have been with the same company since 1996, been an production artist, (job) traffic coordinator, sales asst, in sales, in sales management, in marketing, in database management, now in engineering. But you know what I would love to do, something outdoors, with my hands, fireman, construction, park ranger but my body, well, I ain't no spring chicken.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    I am a paramedic and could never imagine doing anything else! I get to make a difference in the middle of someone's WORST day.
    I have several degrees; Biology, Chemistry, English, Political Science/Military Studies along with a dozen Associates Degrees. I've done everything from managing a national pathology lab to working as an interrogator in the US Army. I love my job!!!! Not to sound cliche, but I've found my BLISS!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Current: Police Officer (State)

Prefer: Personal Trainer (studying for NASM now)
  • I am a paramedic and could never imagine doing anything else! I get to make a difference in the middle of someone's WORST day.
    I have several degrees; Biology, Chemistry, English, Political Science/Military Studies along with a dozen Associates Degrees. I've done everything from managing a national pathology lab to working as an interrogator in the US Army. I love my job!!!! Not to sound cliche, but I've found my BLISS!

This is what I want. BLISS. Congrats to you. I think that's amazing.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Electrical Engineer

Chef
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    lol "Career" you say

I rather be a thriving artist blissfully doing whatever my heart desires living freely creating freely
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Current: senior accountant at a CPA firm
    Dream: a musician - not the famous kind, just the care-free, free-spirited kind with just enough to get by
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Current - certified athletic trainer (ATC) at a small college covering soccer and softball

Dream - ATC for the Packers!! Still waiting in that call boys!!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    I am a paramedic and could never imagine doing anything else! I get to make a difference in the middle of someone's WORST day.

This is what I want. BLISS. Congrats to you. I think that's amazing.
    Do what you love and you'll never work another day in your life! I am lucky enough to live the dream. Not only do I get to do the Paramedic-thing in the back of my ambulance, but I get to work on the mountain in the winter as a Ski Patroler (combining two of my loves) but I also get to teach EMT students. AND I get to do it in the paradise of the Flathead Valley...the most beautiful place on the planet! I am truly blessed! :bigsmile:
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Currently, a programmer for a phone company..
    Far off wish? To have figured out a way to collect enough automatically to live on my boat and sail wherever..
    In-between: To get my electronics/computer repair biz on the map someday, and hey, if it goes like I anticipate, #2 becomes real...

Just a hard time to transition from current, to that. I will eventually, probably within the next couple years. Just making sure to do it safely.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    I specialize in obsolete, hard to find, and very high end auto parts. I get to do everything from massive off highway tracked vehicles like the Nodwell, to drag racing cars etc. Love my work and I hope to complete my MBA and go on to run an OEM one day. Dream big!
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    I'm the Program Coordinator for a womens transitional housing facility, I do like it a lot. But if I became independantly wealthy and could make art all day, and volunteer instead of work a real job, I would love it. I kind of don't like responsibility.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Currently - soils/foundation/materials engineer (aka geotechnical engineer). Been doing it for nearly 30 years and would do it again. I get to be a desk-lizard/true nerd-engineer and then work on the projects in the field while in design and under under construction using great big yellow equipment <g>. Best of both worlds!

If I had to choose another career because you stuck a gun to my head, it would be orthopedic surgeon.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Student and stay at home mother. I'd rather be traveling with my son and working my dream job as an interior designer simultaneously.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Current - video game commentator
    Wish - to be a paid, video game commentator
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    I work in finance and focus on the project management of regulatory changes in the industry...I would rather be a 4th grade history teacher or a spin instructor with my own studio!
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Quit my current job because it was slowly killing me inside both emotionally and physically. I just want a job where I'm out socializing with people instead of just typing in front of a keyboard like my last job. The irony is just insane considering this is where I spend the bulk of my time when I'm home lol
  • Currently, I am a Chief Financial Officer. While I love my job, I would love to be a consultant traveling all over the country helping businesses fix their problems. I would also love to be a trainer for the company I take most of my courses from. Basically anything that would allow me to travel and see more of the country. I plan to pursue this once I retire and my kids are grown.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Bump