Introduce yourself and your horse!

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Introducing Brego (in my profile pic). He is my new 11 year old 15.3 hand Appendix QH gelding that I got for Christmas. While I miss Willow terribly, God had a hand in all that happened so that he could come to me. Either that or it just takes Santa 40 years to bring a pony if you keep asking.

Brego is a ham and reminded my why I love geldings. We are learning each other and getting along well. I can't wait for better weather so we can do some real work together.

Vicki

Edited to add: Ok, so apparently in my profile pic his face doesn't show up. The whole picture of him shows on my main page.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Beautiful! Congratulations, you'll have so much fun together :)

Santa does get terribly backlogged. ;)
  • Hey Y'all!
    It's so great to see other horse-women! My name is Blair Addison, and, as you can probably tell by my name, I show quarter horses. I'm 18 and will be attending Oklahoma State University in the fall.
    I am currently showing a 7 year old black stud, and training two 5 year old geldings. I love Horsemanship and English Eq, but honestly, anything on horseback will suffice. I was raised on a beef cattle farm in Arkansas, so I'm a true cowgirl through and through!
    Feel free to add me, but be warned, there will be lots of horse talk!
    Best wishes to you and your equine partners!
    ~Blair
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Oooh, Vickie, congrats--Brego is beautiful! I hope in 2 years to be able to afford having my own horse again.

Hi, Blair, what part of Arkansas? I grew up in southeast Missouri (bootheel).

Chelsea, if you are still around, your horse is gorgeous, too. I love Pusher bloodlines--they usually have a fantastic rear/overstride.

My parents raised Tennessee walkers while I was growing up, and I rode and showed a lot from the time I was about 12 or 13. I had a pleasure horse that I trail rode quite a bit, too. I rode on the equestrian team in college, switching to western. I took a few hunt seat lessons as well but never really felt comfortable (my 1 or 2 tries at jumping were not the greatest). After law school I briefly had a walking horse at a trainer's, and showed several of his horses for a couple years, including a spotted saddle horse. I sold my horse and stopped riding about 7ish years ago--bought a fixer upper house, had two babies, etc.

I finally promised myself that if I got back to onederland (after a very, very long time ranging all the way to 230 before I got pregnant), I would take up riding again. I got serious about losing weight in July, then in October, after losing 15 lbs, I called a nearby barn and started taking lessons--despite my past bad experience, I have wanted to jump since I was about 16 years old. So now, at 38, I am learning to jump! I found some ladies my age who ride and we have a fabulous time! I may even go on a fox hunt soon.

Still working at getting in shape and losing more weight. My first ride was so painful I almost couldn't walk for two days!

Edited to add: my name is Heather, by the way (I keep forgetting that I don't have a signature)
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Hi Yall,

My first ever horse is named "REIGN" and he has thee sweetest disposition about him. He is unique Palomino walker with two distinctly different color eyes. We were both scared and beginning trail riders in 2013 but he got me through the whole season with only a few minor bumps. I am now addicted to horses and riding. I am on MFP to get more fit for 2014 cause I just felt HUGE and out of breathe sometimes on his back especially going up those steep hills. Horseback riding is a good workout throughout the spring and summer so I need something to get me through Fall and winter.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    I have two horses. Classy is a 7 year old quarter horse that I have had for about a year. She is wonderful and is the sweetest girl and does whatever you ask of her. She is not my first horse but probally the best trained I have ever had. Cowboy which my daughter rides and still very green though he is 6 years old. He was a stallion before I got him and we found him at the kill auction. He was not mean just very misunderstood. I have had him around 6 months. He was not skinny like most auction horses but they said untrainable. I trained horses in my younger days(I am 50) so we took him and gelded him which calmed him down emensely with in weeks and did ground training. He has had a saddle on and I have ridden him lightly but my daughter is working on him by taking him on trail rides and we hope for him to be more trained this spring.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Great to hear you were able to rescue him from that dreadful auction.
  • Hey Heather! I'm from around Fort Smith, right on the OK border!
  • Hello, I joined this site a few years ago but obviously forgot about it but I am back.
    I have a 21 year old Appy who I can no longer ride due to my weight and it kills me, plus I hate not being able to wear the nice showmanship clothes that I want to wear :(
    I am looking for accountability buddies so feel free to friend me :)
  • Hot9Stff
    Hot9Stff Posts: 7 Member
    Hi! I've been a MFP member for a few years. I am 31 and live in Indiana, I've been riding since age 5! I started out hunter/jumper, switched to eventing in High School and now ride mostly dressage. I have two Friesians, an American Warmblood that is 21 (had him since he was four and it is really hard to see him getting older) and an old Appaloosa (I call him my pappyloosa). My Warmblood and I got up to about 3rd level dressage and I am hoping to find an instructor to come out to my farm to get us to the next level while he is still healthy and able. My 7 year old "baby" Friesian is just starting out. He is so naturally talented I am looking forward to where we go in the future!

I have always had an off and on weight problem, it has never really caused me NOT to ride, but dressage is such an intense riding sport it is so much more difficult when I get heavy and NOT as much fun. Right now my 5 ft 4" self is probably around 250 lbs. I am muscular, so I have always been a pretty "fit fat", but I am tired of avoiding mirrors and want to feel better, have more energy and feel better about the way I look. I actually don't have a goal "weight" in mind, and I don't really care about lb loss, I want to see my jeans size drop and I want to be able to work outside in the barn all day long and work 4 horses in a row! I am also going to be a bridesmaid in November and would like to feel good about how I look by then.

I am looking forward to dropping some weight so I have more energy to work all these horses! We all took the winter off (it has been a doozy here and I don't have an indoor on my property), but I want to hit the program hard so when the weather gets nicer I am motivated to get back out there. Right now I am trying to run at least 3 miles every other day, and am trying to do at least 30 minutes of yoga as many days a week as I can. I'm glad to find others with my same passion and hope to commiserate with you all moving forward!
  • Guinness80
    Guinness80 Posts: 39 Member
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to give a quick introduction for my horses.

Guinness - 5 year old smokey black mustang gelding from Nevada (my avatar). We just started trail riding this spring and he is doing wonderful so far. He's my dream horse.
    Apache - a 9 year old gray draft gelding that we had adopted as an orphan foal. My husband claims him as his.
    Piper - 10-12 year old seal brown TB mare. She's a big sweetheart.

Now the little ones:
    Scribbles - 31 inch 11 yr old bay mini mare. She is in training for driving right now.
    Bailey - 36-38 inch (haven't measured for sure) 8 yr old silver bay tobiano mare. My husband's driving pony.
    Snooker - 44 inch pony mare. She looks to be a really dark bay or maybe even fading black. My project pony.
    Smudge - 2 year old mini donkey.

Look forward to meeting everyone else!
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Your mustang is beautiful!
  • Guinness80
    Thank you! Who is the horse in your avatar?
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    I'm Melissa - I have a 13 year old (she will be 14 May 5th) appendix that I have owned since she was 6. She really is the love of my life.

She's a HUGE motivation for loosing weight - she's very sensitive and I know she can feel when I gain 5 pounds, nevermind 40. My confidence over fences is really low, and though I don't have aspirations to be in the 3 foot ring again, I would at least like to be able to confidently execute a small course withought worrying that I'm baging on her back, or pulling on her mouth due to losing my balance because my butt is so big! My weight has held me back riding since i was a kid - I was always on the big, appy draft crosses while my friends were on cute, springy ponies. I missed out in the pony world and didn't get to enjoy showing while my friends did because i was too big. It hurt...but at the same time not "fitting in" to the show ring turned my attention elsewhere and I ended up being a better, more well ruonded rider because of it and I'm thankful for that.

I'm confident riding flat work, even though sometimes the show clothes are embarassing due to my weight, but it's really over fences where I feel I am going to throw her off balance due to the extra pounds, and that's not safe for either of us. I want her to enjoy carrying me as much as I enjoy riding her - we have a great relationship but i just want her to be as comfortable as possible, and that means losing at least 30 pounds for her!

id post a photo if I could figure it out! Feel free to add me!
  • Guinness80
    Welcome to the group! I haven't figured out how to post photos either - so when you figure it out, share the secret.

How brave of you to be jumping! Its something I have always longed to do, but have been too scared to ever try. My husband and I mostly trail ride and now starting to drive the minis/ponies.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Welcome to the group! I haven't figured out how to post photos either - so when you figure it out, share the secret.

How brave of you to be jumping! Its something I have always longed to do, but have been too scared to ever try. My husband and I mostly trail ride and now starting to drive the minis/ponies.

Little jumps! Little jumps! I never went much over 3 feet as a kid... the juniors at the barn I ride at now all do about 3'6" - which is apparently beginner level in other countries - BAH - I am SUPER impressed with some of their abilities - especially one girl in particular who goes from green horse to green horse, she will jump anything - she doesn't push them, and she can RIDE. I have no desire to ever jump over 2'6" again :-). It hurts when i fall now. But currently Im just jumping TINY things, nothing over 2'3", trying to "get the hell out of my head" as my trainer calls it... Im hoping as I drop more weight, like myself more, it will reflect in my fear of hurting her, which translates into no confidence over fences!

And I love minis - some day i will have one in my house, some day!
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Welcome!.

I used to do jumps too, but now I want to do that beautiful canter half pass zig zag like the Grand Prix Dressage riders do.

It's good to have dreams. I am thinking about doing some hunter paces again. I fall off mostly when not jumping. Jumping I am prepared for the launch.

Good Luck!
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    This is a great group. I add friends from time to time if I see them with a horse picture. I love the idea of this group.

I am 42 years old, an Accountant and live on a small farm in FL. I have 3 ponies although one is actually mine to ride. I have to pay the bills for the other two.

Scout is mine 100% - He is a 3 year old mustang and small. He is about 13 hh. Scout came from the Paiute Indian Reservation in Nevada. He is the biggest reason that I want to loose weight. No way could he carry me at 234. Down to 175 and I am not getting on his back yet. My goal is to get back into the hunter ring with him. I have the outfit sitting in my closet. I have big dreams for Scout. Lots of bareback trail rides and an concessional schooling show. My biggest dream is to take him on a hunters pace and go over the jumps.

Chico is my daughter's show horse. Another pony 14.2 hh. He is a really funny horse, lots of personality. More of a jumper not really a hunter. He isn't always good on trails because he tends to be a bit spooky. I do ride him in the arena and occasionally on a trail ride.

Miss Minny Moo is my pony made of gold...She is 12 hh and 28 years old. She has been in our family for 25 years. She taught both my daughters and other family members how to ride. She now belongs to my first born granddaughter. She gets walked around, grazed and groomed. Sometimes the kids ride her bareback. Don't let her age fool you though. She still has plenty of spunk.
  • Guinness80
    About the only jumping I do is if my horse launches himself across a ditch because he didn't want to get his feet wet. Silly beast.

luckypony - Another mustang owner - how great! My boy is 14.2 and stocky and he handles my weight fine for our light hour or two rides on mostly easy trails, but I am hoping to get on longer rides and more serious terrain and for that I think he would appreciate fewer pounds. And I bet your 28 year old has a lot of spunk. One of my favorite horses to ride years ago was a 26 year old arabianXQH. He had tons of spunk into his 30s.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Oooh, Vickie, congrats--Brego is beautiful! I hope in 2 years to be able to afford having my own horse again.

Hi, Blair, what part of Arkansas? I grew up in southeast Missouri (bootheel).

Chelsea, if you are still around, your horse is gorgeous, too. I love Pusher bloodlines--they usually have a fantastic rear/overstride.

My parents raised Tennessee walkers while I was growing up, and I rode and showed a lot from the time I was about 12 or 13. I had a pleasure horse that I trail rode quite a bit, too. I rode on the equestrian team in college, switching to western. I took a few hunt seat lessons as well but never really felt comfortable (my 1 or 2 tries at jumping were not the greatest). After law school I briefly had a walking horse at a trainer's, and showed several of his horses for a couple years, including a spotted saddle horse. I sold my horse and stopped riding about 7ish years ago--bought a fixer upper house, had two babies, etc.

I finally promised myself that if I got back to onederland (after a very, very long time ranging all the way to 230 before I got pregnant), I would take up riding again. I got serious about losing weight in July, then in October, after losing 15 lbs, I called a nearby barn and started taking lessons--despite my past bad experience, I have wanted to jump since I was about 16 years old. So now, at 38, I am learning to jump! I found some ladies my age who ride and we have a fabulous time! I may even go on a fox hunt soon.

Still working at getting in shape and losing more weight. My first ride was so painful I almost couldn't walk for two days!

Edited to add: my name is Heather, by the way (I keep forgetting that I don't have a signature)

I just wanted to say "Good For You!" you are never to old to learn something new.