Exercising at Home w/o Privacy

I really want to start exercising at home when I can't go for my hour long walk due to weather conditions (its -10F/-23C outside) but I don't have a bedroom and the house is exceptionally small so there is no privacy. This makes it difficult to do any sort of exercise because there really isn't enough space nor is there anywhere else to go to work out. I also feel really awkward about exercising around family members most of whom think that starving yourself and eating junk food is an acceptable weight loss plan. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Well, I can't look it up for you since I'm at work, but can you at least commandeer the bathroom for a little while? Look up workouts for small spaces on youtube.

As far as the family members' opinions go, the only thing I can say is ignore them. If you're doing this for yourself, you've got to get to a place where you are confident in doing what you know is right, regardless of what others think.

The good news is that you don't have to exercise to lose weight. If you decide that you can't exercise at home, nor outside when it's freezing cold, just watch your calorie intake.
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Seems like there aren't many options other than exercising when everyone else is asleep - very early morning hours or later at night or perhaps while they're at work. Or join a gym. Or work out with a friend at his/her house. Sorry - can't think of anything else.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Do you have any weights? That's slightly less embarassing than say dancing around trying to do cardio indoors. I assume this is your family of origin (parents, etc.), not your kids? Do you have a Wii or Kinect there? Is there cable tv or Netflix? You could watch/rent/download a workout video. Do you have a laptop? Use Youtube for free workouts. Look up tabata workouts. Those are at least quick.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    :smile: I used to feel uncomfotable working out in front of my partner when we first moved in together so I know how you feel. I like to do dvds and its really annoying to be bouncing round the living room with him sat behind me on the sofa but I just decided to ignore him as the alternative was not to workout and that was not an option. If you can just really try to push past that feeling of awkwardness & just do it anyway, it may be a novelty at first and they may make the odd comment or whatever but if it becomes a regular thing and you do it all the time, it will become normal for them as well as for you and you will get past your awkwardness.

If you really can't work out in front of people them is there not a single room in the house that you can close the door on and have to yourself for 20minutes or so? The are loads of exercises you could do in a small space.
  • I'm going to try to just suck it up and do it because my long term goal is a cross country bike tour so I am getting into better shape for that. Thanks. If they don't like they can bite me.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    When I am going to exercise in my house and there are other people there I tell them they either have to go somewhere else (a bedroom, outside, or visiting) or they have to workout with me. It is funny how quickly they vacate the area. :laugh:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    I'm going to try to just suck it up and do it because my long term goal is a cross country bike tour so I am getting into better shape for that. Thanks. If they don't like they can bite me.

This attitude is perfect. And I mean that 100 percent sincerely. Hang on to that and you WILL reach whatever goals you have. :drinker:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Just do it. they'll get over it. :)
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    I'm going to try to just suck it up and do it because my long term goal is a cross country bike tour so I am getting into better shape for that. Thanks. If they don't like they can bite me.

EXACTLY THIS! :D stick with that attitude and just get it done :)

or the below suggestion sounds excellent :D:smile: might try it myself
    When I am going to exercise in my house and there are other people there I tell them they either have to go somewhere else (a bedroom, outside, or visiting) or they have to workout with me. It is funny how quickly they vacate the area.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member

That's the way to do it!

They may poke fun/make comments at first (my fam would sit on the couch with ice cream and pizza watching and laughing at me) but they'll come around...maybe even join you.
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member

This attitude is perfect. And I mean that 100 percent sincerely. Hang on to that and you WILL reach whatever goals you have. :drinker:

Agreed!!! You can do this, and if they are not supportive then you know you can always turn here for the support!! Go get it!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Awesome goal! If you have a bike already, invest in a turbo trainer - you can sit on your bike and pedal away in front of the TV, behind the rest of the family if you want.
  • rswalls
    rswalls Posts: 157 Member
    Look up hotel room workouts - they seem perfect for small spaces.
  • I managed to find a work out that works for me indoors....."The Doctor Who Workout". I actually broke a sweat and it was fun(ny).
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Pushups, Situps, Squats, Lunges. But it looks like you found a workout.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    An indoor mall could be another place to get a good walk in if there is one near you. As others have said just do it. You will be happier when bathing suit season comes back around.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I really want to start exercising at home when I can't go for my hour long walk due to weather conditions (its -10F/-23C outside) but I don't have a bedroom and the house is exceptionally small so there is no privacy. This makes it difficult to do any sort of exercise because there really isn't enough space nor is there anywhere else to go to work out. I also feel really awkward about exercising around family members most of whom think that starving yourself and eating junk food is an acceptable weight loss plan. Any suggestions?

"Walk at Home" DVDs are great cardio that can be done in a small space. There are no "embarassing" moves....you march in place, or do side steps, or knee lifts.....add some arm raises and light hand weights. You just keep moving.

Free sample here: http://www.walkathome.com/

Family members will get used to it. There must be some room with a door you can close......a laptop is great for youtube workouts. Jessica Smith has a bunch of "walking" videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking+workouts&sm=12
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    I wait until everyone falls asleep before I start my workout. It's been working well for me. Fitnessblender also has a pretty decent "silent" workout that you can do without disturbing people in the next room.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    5249bd73e691b25992c44291_736.jpg

Respect. Get it done. You'll have the last laugh.