Daily Check-in and Chat

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    I'm currently hip thrusting 110 lbs which means I can't just roll the bar over my hips since only 25 lb plates are on each end. What I do is to set up a step to each side and lay each end of the bar on there. The step isn't very high b/c when it's too high and you start to thrust, on the downward movement the bar ends up hitting the step. It's been working great for me so far since it raises the bar a little and allows me to squeeze under there.

In terms of the padding, I use a rubber mat (I think it's a yoga mat) I found at the gym that's not too thick (so that it's easy to fold) but gets pretty thick as you fold it up. It's been really helping me, I don't really feel the bar on my hips too much.

I do the supersets because I'm really focussing on weight loss right now and apparently supersetting two different body parts really helps in that quest (read that somewhere, don't remember where though, maybe NROL and as I'm now looking through the book I see Bret says the same thing). It's a bit of a pain as you say, but my gym isn't very big and is very flexible (I can move stuff around without anyone saying anything) so I set up the equipment I need for the hip thrusts close to where ever I need to be next.

With all that said, I'm getting to hate my gym. They open whenever they feel like it. They closed Dec. 24 and reopened Thursday January 2 so I figured I'd get in my 3 workouts Thursday, Friday and Saturday (not the best, but what to do?). But yesterday while I was there they told me that they would not be opened today (Saturday) because the person who works on Saturday is going out of town. Dammit! :mad: So now I'm going to have to improvise something for today because I don't want to miss a workout. I don't have a barbell and I only have 5-20 lb dumbbells so I may just do an upper body workout.

Anyway, I'm still loving these workouts. I really feel like I'm working hard. Especially after supersetting Bulgarian split squats (I replaced step ups with these b/c of a pain in my knee) with military press yesterday. I was breathing SO hard after. Really hope I see a loss on the scale tomorrow when I weigh-in.

Have a great day ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • Citrusgirrl
    Citrusgirrl Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for the link. Gigibeans, I'll check it out. I saw a Kellie Davis video with some tips and that has helped a lot. I think that once I'm up to 60kg (so have a 20kg plate on each end) it will be fine getting in and out and I can start supersetting. Looking forward to that! I like your step idea, Jamaicanlady. Alas it wouldn't work in my gym as the steps are downstairs and the barbells are upstairs. Not sure what people do for deficit work upstairs, actually.

I did fine today and got up to 42.5kg (about 94lb) on my hip thrusts. RDLs didn't agree with my back though so I switched to normal deadlifts. I lost 4lb this week so was feeling quite motivated and happy today :)

I hope things get better with your gym or you can find another one, Jamaicanlady. Can you do a bodyweight workout at home? Good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow!
  • jamaicanlady
    Wow, 4 lbs! That's amazing. Congrats!

You'll be at 60kg in no time, and yea, then you can start supersetting.

So I did SC A but didn't have the barbells so had to go super light when doing the glute bridge, box squat and American deadlift. Did everything else as I should have though so I'm pleased about that.

That means I've completed 2 weeks of SC. 10 to go!

Thanks Citrus, I'll let you all know how the weigh in goes. I have a party to attend tonight. Hoping I can keep my eating under control.
  • Citrusgirrl
    Two weeks down. Awesome! Good luck at your party. It's really hard to resist stuff (and I'm certainly no good at it) but don't be too strict on yourself if it means you don't have a good time. We have to be able to be sociable too!
  • Hi ladies! Today is day 2 of workout B week 5-8 in the lower-glute workout only. I love this workout, had done it before (3 months ago) and with a combination of this and IF i lost 15 lbs and dropped 4 sizes. I had to stop due to cervical surgery but 3 weeks after surgery I am back on track. Good luck to all!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Hi Jessie! I'm doing the lower only too and love it. Glad you've had success with it!

Have a question for everyone. I've been doing the bodyweight bridges and hip thrusts with an empty bar instead. If I can't get to the gym is it OK to use dumbbells for these? I have adjustable 50 lb powerblocks at home that fit across my hips. I tried 50 lbs for a few reps and it wasn't uncomfortable. 100 lbs might be but I'm not there yet.
  • I'm not sure how comfortable you would be using the power blocks but if it doesn't cause you any pain in the pelvic area while trusting then I don't see why not.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Good job ladies with the thrusting. I decided not to do the barbell thrusts. I have plenty of rear (my excuse for the time consuming maneuvering of the barbell in my small workout room) so I am not really that concerned in increasing the size but to make it firmer, I am all in. But when I tell you that the elevated single leg thrust is a keeper I mean that. That works very well. I couldn't do 20 the first day and today was week 2 of A for me. I got up to 18 reps and felt every single one of them. But my workout was good and have increased the weight and switched some things around.

I almost quit or switched programs because of brain fog, lack of motivation due to cabin fever (10+ inches of snow and -4 temps) but I got my mojo back and went at it. I am only doing 3 days instead of the recommended 4 -- A, B, A, C because that will burn me out. As long as I stay focused and move things around and increase the weight, I think I will stay motivated. My problem is getting my eating back on track because being off work for over 2 weeks and sitting around the house has made be lazy. I seem to do better when I go to work.

Anyway, ladies keep up the good work and looking forward to hearing your successes. And by the way, this 54 year-old woman -- 55 come February -- won't be doing those get-ups, Turkish or any other kind any time soon. I might challenge myself near the end of the program, but as for right now I am substituting them. I hate getting up and down off the floor. I just got used to doing burpees (with a little help) and started liking them so we'll do a wait-and-see with those get ups.

Happy lifting.
  • GiGiBeans
    So tried the bridges with the Powerblocks. 45 lbs actually felt easier than the bar so I tried 2 45 lb power blocks and it was hard to balance them. On the bright side the 90 lbs was easy so guess it's time to slap some weight on the bar.
  • Citrusgirrl
    Hi Jessie, welcome to the thread! Glad to hear you had good results :D

GIGIbeans - in the beginning I was sticking a dumb bell or kettlebell on there. As long as it's relatively comfy and will stay on, use whatever works. Now that you've managed 90lb, get some weight on that bar!

Dafoots - Again, it's whatever works best for you in these things. I bet the single leg thrusts are amazing! I keep skipping them and barbelling instead because I don't feel confident to use a bench for something that doesn't involve dumb bells or a bar! Good luck with your eating :)

I hope JamaicanLady is OK. Haven't seen her in here this week.

I managed 50kg (110lb, I think) on my hip thrusts today. That's now equal with my 5RM deadlift but likely to overtake it this week. Feeling chuffed :D
  • dafoots0911
    Work out B today for me. This is my second week and it was hard to get motivated but I forced myself up at 5:30 and got it done.

I know you guys are doing hip thrusts and bridges with the barbell, but I can tell you for me doing those shoulder-elevated single-leg hip thrusts are no joke. This is my second week doing them and I did make it up to 18 reps my second and third set. I can remember reaching 75lbs on the barbell overhead press, but I was only doing 5 reps. Doing 55lbs at 8 reps was a challenge -- plus I hadn't done them in a while. My assisted chin-ups I made it up to 8 considering I only did 4 last week so I do see some progress. I can't wait until I can do unassisted.

Saturday will be workout C and my first attempt at doing the Turkish get-up or just the get-up. I will let you all know how that goes. But I can already tell you now, it won't be pretty.:embarassed:

So here's to great progress :drinker:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    hi ladies! I am glad I searched and found this group! I just started this workout today - and HOLY CRAP! My butt and hams are literally jello and shaking right now! I am a strong woman who has been strength training regularly for the last 5 months and apparently I haven't been using my butt at all lol. I am excited to see what kind of results I get!!

Cheryl
  • jamaicanlady
    Hey ladies! I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've been so busy marking the papers (I'm a teacher) that I've been ignoring for the past 2 weeks. But school starts on Monday and I need to get caught up before more is added to the pile.

I see that everyone has been doing their thing. That's EXCELLENT. Welcome Jessie and Cheryl! It's great to have other ladies doing the program so we can all compare notes. I <3 it.

Darlene, I'm glad you found the motivation to get up and get it done. I'm sure you felt good after you did. And I'm with you on those single-leg hip thrusts, they are really NO JOKE. As for the OHP, I'm using 50 lbs and not making the 8 reps so I do 6 reps and then drop to 45 lbs to do the other 2. As you know, my upper body strength is nowhere I'd like it to be. But still working on it. I've been doing lat pulldowns to replace the chin ups. I'd like to do negatives but the pull up bar at the gym is really high up, even if I stand on a bench. So I'm thinking of doing the negatives here at home on a day that I don't have a workout. Maybe I'll do that Sunday.

The Turkish get up I actually enjoy! Idk, but it's just interesting, never did such a multipart exercise before. I tried it with 3 lbs, good to go, and wondered what the big deal was. 5 lbs, still good to go. Used the 10 lbs last week and now I know what the big deal is. But I still enjoy it.

Citrus, just 5 lbs away from putting those 35 lb plates on the bar so it'll be easier to roll over your thighs.

Gigi, definitely add weight if you can do 90 lbs. Try adding two 25 lb plates.

AFM, did 3A and B so far this week. I'll do 3C tomorrow and be finished with week 3. So because I'm curious (and impatient) I was just looking at week 5, we'll be doing hip thrusts of only 3-8 reps so MUCH heavier weight. I can feel it in my butt already :laugh: Anyway, still enjoying this program and I hope everyone else is also.
  • GiGiBeans
    Just popping in to say hi. Woot, sounds like we are all kicking butt in here! :wink: Hi Cheryl! I know what ya mean about feeling the butt! I never use to feel it fire during squats but now I am really conscious of it - hmm, like every mi ute of the day now.

My shoulder is feeling better so I did some upper body work and then considered going back to the Beautiful Beginnings full body. Not sure I will. Even tho upper/lower splits take up more days (I'd do 2 upper 3 lower) they take less time and my enthusiasm wanes for exercise around 35 mins!

Sooo cardio? Who's doing it and how much? I'm going to cut back on my running to two 20 -30 min runs. Anyone doing HIIT?
  • Citrusgirrl
    Just dropping in quickly to say hi! There are loads of posts and I don't have time to answer them all (must go to bed!) but it seems like you are all kicking *kitten* :D

Hip thrust made it to 55 kg (just over 120lb) today. Feeling rather pleased with myself :D

GIGIbeans, I do HIIT circuits once a week if I can get to a class. Don't often do two now though I was before Strong Curves. In the Spring I'm planning on getting a bike again because I live by a beautiful coastal cycle path and can cycle along the beach for a quick ten mile cycle on rest days then if it's not windy and wet :D
  • jamaicanlady
    20 reps of hip thrusts with 120 lbs is TERRIFIC. I did 115 lbs this week so I'll be attempting 120 lbs next week since I always try to go up by 5 lbs every week.

GiGi, I don't do any cardio really. Except for once a week I do a short metabolic finisher after one of my workouts. It consists of 3 sets of burpees with knee tuck jumps, push ups, mountain climbers and box jumps. I'm just not a cardio person so I do the bare minimum. I did do Insanity a few years ago which is HIIT, but I wasn't doing it with any weight lifting and ended up getting slimmer and flatter than I'd like.

So I'm finished with week 3 of the program. On to week 4!
  • jamaicanlady
    Hey how are you ladies doing? I hope you haven't been posting because you are too busy working out and getting fit :happy: .

So I started week 4 yesterday, did workout A. Thank God it's the last day of American deadlifts. I was up to 110 lbs and felt my grip failing on the last 2 reps of the last set. Wish I could go back to regular DLs.

On another note, I am almost no longer in the overweight category according to the BMI :happy:
  • GiGiBeans
    Hi ladies, just checking in!

So I confess, I have been naughty and missed a couple of workouts, although I have been running and getting a few sets of weighted back extensions in. Bad me. Got a full lower in today so looks like a W/F/Sun schedule for me this week.

I wish I was functional in the morning so I could do my lifting early when I have social obligations at nite. I set my alarm early and lay there in a paralyzed stupor.

My calendar is pretty clear now tho, so no excuses! Time for me to kick my own butt.

PS- JamaicanLady that is great news! Grats! :doing happy dance with engaged glutes for ya:
  • Citrusgirrl
    JamaicanLady - Congrats on nearly being out of the overweight category! I am so looking forward to that moment, though it's a long way off. And well done on those DLs! 110lbs is no joke and is roughly where my grip is starting to go too. Not sure what DLs there are in the 5-8 week section, but I'm hoping it's full ones for you :)

GIGIbeans, consider your butt kicked by me too!

Well today was only my second SC workout of the week as I was introducing a friend to the gym on Monday and went to a class with another friend on Thursday. Anyway, workout C for me today (I'm just doing them on rotation as some weeks I can manage 4 and sometimes 3) and *drumroll*.... I got my hip thrusts to 60kg!! Rolling that bar up was a delightful moment, I can tell you :D I had to break it down into sets of 10s and 15s but I got all my reps in. I'll be working for 3x20 on my next session on Sunday. I felt like a proper lifter using the big plates :D
  • dafoots0911
    Hello Ladies,

I've been reading all the posts here and you are all doing a great job. It's great to have a support system on a program.

When I first started this, I really didn't know what to think -- if I like it, will I stick to it, just another bs book that I've wasted my money on. Yes, I know a cynical attitude but I can honestly say I am liking this workout. I am on my third week of the Gluteal Goddess workout and now look forward to my workouts. I still have to motivate myself in the morning to get my *kitten* out of bed (because if I wait until I get home after work, it ain't happenin). So thank you all for the support and especially to MFP buddy, Jamaicanlady for the inspiration.

I will be on week 4 starting Tuesday and will continue to give my feedback on my progress. I know I will have to add some cardio, because I sit all day and when I get home. These are things I will have to change...gradually. Well, the work thing I can't control because I am at a computer all day in the courtroom but after I get home, I've got to do something if only just walk on the treadmill. I think that's the only way the belly will begin to shrink.

Just wanted to chime in on how I'm doing. May start posting results Sunday. I've lost a pound so far but probably put it back on today with a little cravings for carbs and no self-control so I had a carbfest. But I'm still a work in progress so I won't beat myself up.

So ladies, stick with it, we got this. Have a great weekend.