Going to a restaurant when you really don't want to go...

JG762
JG762 Posts: 571 Member
I just did something odd, at least for me.
I’m going to meet my soon to be ex-wife for dinner this evening and we’re meeting at a restaurant, I haven’t thought much about eating out since I started trying to eat right/healthy.
It’s going to be a stressful dinner for me and that’s when I always overeat, when I’m stressed. So I went to the restaurants website and picked out a couple of items that I think I can live with and won’t completely blow my days goals.
I’ve never put that much thought into this before.
Keep your fingers crossed for me! LoL

Replies

• Good luck! :)
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    good luck
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Good for you with the advance planning! That tells me you've got this under control.

It helps me sometimes to NOT have a drink. When I do, my willpower wanes. Add stress and there will definitely be creamy dip and chips going on! :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    I just did something odd, at least for me.
    I’m going to meet my soon to be ex-wife for dinner this evening and we’re meeting at a restaurant, I haven’t thought much about eating out since I started trying to eat right/healthy.
    It’s going to be a stressful dinner for me and that’s when I always overeat, when I’m stressed. So I went to the restaurants website and picked out a couple of items that I think I can live with and won’t completely blow my days goals.
    I’ve never put that much thought into this before.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me! LoL

I eat out 3-4 times a week and never, ever go without first looking online to check out the menu/nutritional info (some restaurants I now have memorized the calorie counts of the food I always get lol). This is a really smart way to enjoy eating out :smile:
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    i AKWAYS preplan when we're going out!

Keep your eyes on the prize- a healthier, stronger you will be better able to face the changes that will be happening
    After your situation is finalized. After being on my eating plan for almost 10 months, I feel much more calm when I'm eating well.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I have had the same issue the past few days. I generally only eat out once or maybe twice a week and mostly eat homecooked food but with the holidays and staying with family I have been eating out almost day. Of course this happens when I have just started trying to eat right. I had to eat 2/3 of a hamburger and 1/3 of a fries order last night.
  • JG762
    Well that didn't go to badly.
    Unfortunately all my prep work went out the window when I got the menu, the item I had picked out wasn't available, DAMMIT...
    But I made a second choice and as it turns out it was a good choice, fish & rice with some green stuff, calories are well under what's available but again I blew the sodium out of the water. If that's the worse thing I do today then I've had a pretty good day.
    Thanks for the helpful words and advice!
  • good for you!
  • JG762
    good for you!

Thanks, I have to say that so far your screen name is my favorite out of all that I've seen here, it actually made me LoL.
  • good for you!

Thanks, I have to say that so far your screen name is my favorite out of all that I've seen here, it actually made me LoL.

ha ha thanks!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    good for you!

ha ha thanks!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am pretty sure it wasn't just your screen name :bigsmile:
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    I know you will do great and I think you did a very smart thing checking the menu ahead of time for better food choices, congratulations on that. Good luck with your dinner
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Well that didn't go to badly.
    Unfortunately all my prep work went out the window when I got the menu, the item I had picked out wasn't available, DAMMIT...
    But I made a second choice and as it turns out it was a good choice, fish & rice with some green stuff, calories are well under what's available but again I blew the sodium out of the water. If that's the worse thing I do today then I've had a pretty good day.
    Thanks for the helpful words and advice!

Good planning and good re-planning. Hope the rest of the divorce process goes ok. Btdt and know it can be stressful.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I always look at the menu beforehand, I'm also no longer afraid of asking questions or requesting changes to meals, or things that aren't on the menu :) most places are happy to oblige - I used to get embarrassed by it, but now value myself and my goals enough to not care!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    I knew you could do it!
  • jmatthews78
    jmatthews78 Posts: 14 Member
    I wouldn't worry about what you have at all. You didn't put weight on overnight and you didn't lose it overnight either. Go out, [try to] enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    The other trick I've learned for eating out is to only eat half the meal. As soon as the plate arrives, I cut each item in half. Then I eat one half, and take the other half home for left overs. Usually it allows me to stay within calorie goals and enjoy special items that I won't make at home because I know they are not healthy to eat regularly.
  • JG762
    [/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am pretty sure it wasn't just your screen name :bigsmile:
    [/quote]

LoL...
    While I don't deny being a perv in this particular instance you can take my statement at face value.
    Nice try though, thanks for playing. :laugh: