Heart Rate Monitor

Okay, I had never heard much about heart rate monitors until I joined this site, and now I'm thinking I probably need to get one. What exactly is a heart rate monitor? How do you wear one? (Most that I've been looking at just look like a watch but say something about a chest belt or something like that). What information does a heart rate monitor provide? Just the heart rate or does it give calories burned also? Is there a specific model that you guys have had success with? And what is the price range for something like this? Please fill me in! It looks like this is a good way to track calories burned, and I want to make sure I am estimating my exercise calories correctly. Thanks!

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Okay, I had never heard much about heart rate monitors until I joined this site, and now I'm thinking I probably need to get one. What exactly is a heart rate monitor? How do you wear one? (Most that I've been looking at just look like a watch but say something about a chest belt or something like that). What information does a heart rate monitor provide? Just the heart rate or does it give calories burned also? Is there a specific model that you guys have had success with? And what is the price range for something like this? Please fill me in! It looks like this is a good way to track calories burned, and I want to make sure I am estimating my exercise calories correctly. Thanks!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    The amount of things the heart rate monitor does is based on model and maker.
    The basic models keep track of your heart rate by a chest strap or a built in sensor on a watch. I believe there is a monitor out there that is compatible with an ipod. Personally, I used one polar a while ago, and since then I have only been upgrading. I currently own the red F55. It works VERY well with this site, keeping track of my weight lifting, and several different cardio activities. Go to the polar sie and compare, you can try and figure out which model is for you by comparing them on the chart. Or check ebay, and you can see many different kinds for sale. I think nike makes the one that works with the ipod.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    WAIT! Do some research! argh, i wish i did :angry:

I jumped on the first one I saw for the cheapest I could find. It is a Garmen and turns out just heart beats per minute. I is helping me with when I dance around the house (hehe).

What I wish I had was:
    Calories burned.
    Total for the day
    Average heart rate

There are monitors out there that do this and to me, they are worth the extra money.

I still am very happy I bought mine and I am going to buy another!

have a great day!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    DON'T BUY THE HIGHGEAR--it's cheaper but I had 2 that didn't work. Am working on getting refund now. I finally bit the bullet and paid extra for a Polar.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Polar F6 is great, it gets heart rate, calories burned, and tracks your progress and you can upload to a website to see the graphics. It also lets you set a heart rate % zone so if you want to be between 70 and 80% it will beep to tell you when you are out of the zone. Which is nice cuz it means you don't have to watch it every second (course ipods defeat that concept.
    It's about 110 bucks and so worth it.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I have the Polar F11 and I love it. I've had it 4 years and replaced the battery twice. When the display stopped working last year, I sent it back to Polar and they fixed it for free (still under warranty). It does heart rate, average HR, tracks 7 days worth of workouts and will develop work out goals for you. I even use it as my alarm clock.
  • Polar F6 is great, it gets heart rate, calories burned, and tracks your progress and you can upload to a website to see the graphics. It also lets you set a heart rate % zone so if you want to be between 70 and 80% it will beep to tell you when you are out of the zone. Which is nice cuz it means you don't have to watch it every second (course ipods defeat that concept.
    It's about 110 bucks and so worth it.

hey mate, how do you upload to website? I have an F11 but see no means to connect it to my pc. Does it have to interface with a gismo at the gym?

Cheers
  • I just found something on the polar website, think i sussed it :wink:
  • Also if you get a Polar, I have the F4 and really do wish I had the F6 as the F4 is known to pick up other people's HR because it doesn't have it's own coded transmitter. For instance, as I jumped on the elliptical at 6:30 this a.m I noticed my HRM said my HR was 148!!!!!!!! I had not even started yet so how could that be?? Turns out the girl beside me had the same HRM. Luckily she was just finishing up so I shut mine off until she finished........TOTAL PAIN........
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I just found something on the polar website, think i sussed it :wink:

Yep, it uses sound, so you need a microphone on your computer and the Polar uplink tool. Once you get that stuff, it's pretty easy, just put your polar watch near the mic, turn it on, click upload, and click transfer files on the watch (the instructions are on the polar site) under settings I think, and off you go.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I have the F6. LOVE IT!!
  • Oh I am so glad you asked, I was just asking someone about that and what to look for. Such good advice out there. Thanks a bunch.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    I just found something on the polar website, think i sussed it :wink:

Yep, it uses sound, so you need a microphone on your computer and the Polar uplink tool. Once you get that stuff, it's pretty easy, just put your polar watch near the mic, turn it on, click upload, and click transfer files on the watch (the instructions are on the polar site) under settings I think, and off you go.

Hey Banks, how much is the uplink thingie? I'm really hoping mine comes today!
  • Oh, just checking out the polar web site, I think my heart rate went up, I got excited.
    Are they generally cheaper else where though. I think I will do some price checking at some stores, but I like what I see.