Plateaus

I'm going through a plateau right now. I know it is normal and I wake up everyday thinking I will see a two pound loss to make up for it, but I don't. I weigh a pound more than I did two weeks ago.

I'm looking to hear from people who have lost a significant amount of weight. What was your longest plateau? What kind of bumps in the road did you encounter?

I really just need support and am hoping this is just part of the process. This is when I used to give up. I'm not going to do that this time!

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    :smile:
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    The first yr (it's been nearly 3 now), I lost consistently for about 5 months and then the scale just stopped for 3 months. I kept eating on plan and kept working out, but the number wouldn't budge.

I was so discouraged, but my husband reminded me that we had taken before pics when I started 30day shred and that had been about the time the scale halted. We took pics again and the changes were mind blowing. Also, I dropped from a 22-18 or 20-16 in jeans. All without losing a pound.

Now when the scale stops for months at a time, it's easier to deal with because I know changes are still happening and the scale isn't everything.

Hang in there and keep on keepin on.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Take measurements! I was stalled for 2 months and getting really discouraged...I read about taking measurements and did 5 weeks into my stall. 3 weeks later I remeasured: I had lost 3 inches off my waist and 2.5 on my thighs and 1 inch off my hips...and I had gained 3 pounds! Losing 3 inches off my waist was awesome!

Depending on how long your stall is you might want to try eating more calories for a few days. My stall went until 12/21 when the kids and I headed off to visit family until 1/1. I definitely ate more than I usually do...and lots more sweets...and lost 4.2 pounds in 11 days! I'm not promising it'll work - everyone is different - nor going crazy with calories, but just a few days of closer to maintenance calories before returning to a deficient.
  • jmatthews78
    jmatthews78 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm also plateauing at the moment despite sticking to plan. Remember that if your working out then you'll be increasing muscle mass which weighs more than body fat. Take measurements too!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    A really good book that covers the plateau in painstaking scientific details is Body Confidence by Mark McDonald. Long story short, if you've been hard on your body with yoyo dieting, it may have decided the weight you are at right now is a safe 'set point.' As in, she's starved us before, and this is a safe place to stay because we don't trust her. I find wit me it usually takes a few months and then with the proper adjustments in diet and exercise [usually adding more calories then subtracting] it will start to budge again.

I try to spend plateau time focused on athletic gains, can I jump higher, run faster, etc. My last plateau I went from size 14-10 jeans without dropping a pound.

Absolutely do not give up, your body needs you to keep going. Good time to be real about whether you are resting well enough too. Hang in there!!
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    I've been getting healthy for about 3 years now and I've had 5 notable plateaus... my current one being 5 months! They normally last 1 - 2 months for me. All part of the process it seems :grumble:

My advice: take pictures - they tell you far more than the scale does; weigh everything you eat for awhile (sometimes you might be getting a bit enthusiastic with your portion sizes hehe); carry on doing some exercise and with your calorie deficit. It's all about being consistent :smile:

ETA: Take your measurements if you aren't already doing so
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Is your food and exercise plan the same as before? Because as you get smaller you may need to add in more exercise. When I was 285 lbs it took a lot more energy to do things then it does none that I'm in the low 230s. Also I have staked the same weight for months before it wasn't a huge deal to me. I would try changing up your workout if I were you.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Thanks all for the responses. It helps tremendously to see people that experienced the same thing and went on to be successful. I'm sticking with it! Thanks again!

Food scale sits on the counter and everything goes on it, I don't know why I never did that before. A lot easier thanes sing!