I AM DONE!

Lets face it i havent been trying all that hard to recover from my ED. I mean sure i was eating but i would always try to leave a good amount of food on my plate.

Currently Im 5'2 and 82 pounds... Ive lost my period for 3-4 months. And i look DEAD! No butt no face NO BOOBS!!!! Im cold 24/7! Im sick of this. I am going to gain weight and keep it on...

Sorry for the rant now to the question...

How do i gain weight healthily? Keep in mind im a vegetarian :) Sure i could go down a jar of mayo and gain then feel really ill afterwards you know what i mean?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    In B4 jar of peanut butter and spoon. Seriously pb and other nutbutters contain healthy fats, protein and are calorie dense. Other choices are mixed nuts, quinoa, sweet potatos and rice just to name a few. As a vegetarian I assume you can eat eggs. Whole eggs are another excellent choice.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    I am trying to recover from anorexia too. It's crucial you get a team of a doctor, nutritionist, and therapist and find others in recovery. There are several support groups like ANAD and EDA. You may feel motivated now, but it won't last and there will be days you need the support. You can message me for more details.
    Looking intro treatment centers may help as well. Food may seem like the fix because it seems like the focus, but there is a deeper healing needed.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Wonderful response jess1992. It can be done but as you said a support system is crucial. My problem is different. Hopefully you can be of help to the OP. Bless you both.
  • Albagal
    Albagal Posts: 11
    Lets face it i havent been trying all that hard to recover from my ED. I mean sure i was eating but i would always try to leave a good amount of food on my plate.

Currently Im 5'2 and 82 pounds... Ive lost my period for 3-4 months. And i look DEAD! No butt no face NO BOOBS!!!! Im cold 24/7! Im sick of this. I am going to gain weight and keep it on...

How do i gain weight healthily? Keep in mind im a vegetarian :) Sure i could go down a jar of mayo and gain then feel really ill afterwards you know what i mean?

I'm Pescatarian and find it no problem putting weight on. I don't want to get too thin, as I would look awful. Now you can enjoy stuffing your face with crisps, chocolate, cream, chips,etc.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member

Could go and make yourself some nice calorie dense tasty smoothies? I have a nutribullet at home that I use and I typically like throwing in frozen fruit and greens. My typical smoothie is some frozen pineapple, frozen berry blend (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, etc), and I throw in some Kale, some almonds for protein and fats, a scoop of whey protein powder (not sure if you cut out dairy or not with your vegetarian lifestyle, but there is also rice protein you could use), and then fill the rest with almond milk, or coconut water, or just regular old water and blend it up. Tastes great, and is a healthy way to get some calories. =) (I don't juice and only do smoothies because I like having the fibers). A 20oz smoothie made this way typically has around 400-600 calories or so.

Other than that I typically eat meat, so I wouldn't probably be much help beyond what's already been suggested hehe. =)
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    I am trying to recover from anorexia, and I absolutely agree that a support team is crucial. I have days where I am motivated and days when I am not, and I need people to keep me on track. I really struggle to meet the calorie goal I am supposed to reach, so my dietitian has me having a supplement - adding 400 kcal a day so I am reaching my goal. If you don't already, I would say that seeing a dietitian is very important.
    Good luck - I know it's not easy, but I believe it will be worth it :smile:
  • ntg13
    ntg13 Posts: 10
    I wouldn't think pushing yourself too much too far would be a good idea, so work up slowly. Leave a little less on your plate each time until you can manage to clear it, add sauces and dressings to things to get extra calories without feeling like you're eating too much, eat full fat versions of things rather than anything low fat or sugar free. I really like the ideas people had for smoothies.
    Hope you find the right people to support you :)
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member

You can use this website to gain weight as well. If you go to your goals and fill out your information, there will be a drop down box where you can select how much weight you want to lose or gain. In your case, you would want to set that to be 1 or 2 lbs per week. Then you just use this site to log your food and exercise. Try to eat all of the calories it tells you to do, including any calories your gain from logging exercise. This will be a good amount of food to help you gain weight but not an unreasonable amount.

If you don't know how to eat that many calories, I'm sure there would be vegetarian groups here on the forums you could join to get recipe ideas and tips on how to create calorie dense vegetarian meals. Although I'm not vegetarian, I would think trying to add good sources of fat such as avocados and nuts would be a good start. There are also vegetarian protein powders as well. Also I know there are different kinds of vegetarians so if you are lacto-ovo, pescatarian, or vegan it will change things a little.

I don't have any experience with eating disorders so I can't make recommendations there but the recommendations that Jess made seem crucial. If you aren't getting some good help, you should seek it. Those of us here trolling the MFP forums can help with how the site works, give ideas, etc. but an eating disorder is serious business and you should be sure to get professional help.

If you want MFP friend, feel free to send me a request. I'd be happy to share what little information I may have if you are new to the site.

Best of luck to you!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I do not mean to offend any vege-or other-tarians, but I just want to ask whether you are vegetarian for some reason linked to you ED? I.e. is it simply preference, on moral grounds or perhaps a repulsion? It's just something I would ask myself: is it for "real" or rather a way of justifying your eating behaviour? Again I mean no offense. I am assuming that you are seeking medical help on your journey, on which I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member

You can use this website to gain wait as well. If you go to your goals and fill out your information, there will be a drop down box where you can select how much weight you want to lose or gain. In your case, you would want to set that to be 1 or 2 lbs per week. Then you just use this site to log your food and exercise. Try to eat all of the calories it tells you to do, including any calories your gain from logging exercise. This will be a good amount of food to help you gain weight but not an unreasonable amount.

If you don't know how to eat that many calories, I'm sure there would be vegetarian groups here on the forums you could join to get recipe ideas and tips on how to create calorie dense vegetarian meals. Although I'm not vegetarian, I would think trying to add good sources of fat such as avocados and nuts would be a good start. There are also vegetarian protein powders as well. Also I know there are different kinds of vegetarians so if you are lacto-ovo, pescatarian, or vegan it will change things a little.

I don't have any experience with eating disorders so I can't make recommendations there but the recommendations that Jess made seem crucial. If you aren't getting some good help, you should seek it. Those of us here trolling the MFP forums can help with how the site works, give ideas, etc. but an eating disorder is serious business and you should be sure to get professional help.

If you want MFP friend, feel free to send me a request. I'd be happy to share what little information I may have if you are new to the site.

Best of luck to you!

This is excellent advice. This site is brilliant at giving a person the skills to gain (or lose) slowly and learn good eating habits at the same time. The calorie and nutritional information you can get here is excellent and will allow you to be a vegetarian, meat eater, or deal with allergies. You will very likely still need to find a counselor who can help you deal with the emotional aspects of your eating disorder.

Good luck.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Get to a doctor for a physical and perhaps talk to a shrink.
  • I would SUGGEST talking to a treatment team, but as I recovered from my ED by myself, I'll say that it ISN'T necessary. But you really should have a support buddy who can give you a reality check from time to time- you can't always trust yourself when you have an ED.

Personally I tried the whole healthy gaining thing and eventually turned to junk food because it was NOT working. I must have downed two whole full-fat cakes just by myself, haha, and yes I felt like crap but it put a couple pounds back on. However, I would DEFINITELY suggest nut butters and whole grains if you want to gain the healthy way. Peanut butter and almond butter are great for you, great for your skin and hair, and are very energy dense. Carbs are the best way to go if you want to gain, so I suggest a good thick whole grain bread (peanut butter sandwiches, double whammy! Throw on a sliced banana and a little honey and you've got it made) or some whole grains like quinoa and brown rice. Stay away from oatmeal for now, it'll just fill you up without much calories! No good.
    Other things to try: add olive oil to all your veggies and salads, the monosaturated fats are GREAT for your skin and hair and are very healthy. I suggest using 2% or full fat dairy products as well, but if you're leery of saturated fats (which are good for you in small amounts, btw) or don't like dairy, just make sure to eat a lot of olive oil, peanut butter and beans like garbanzo beans (try hummus- also good for sandwiches) which have good healthy fats to pretty you up in no time! :)
    if you need any support feel free to add me, I know how hard the process can be.
  • CynthiaNH
    CynthiaNH Posts: 7 Member

• CynthiaNH
    CynthiaNH Posts: 7 Member
    Hi there!
    As a health professional, I agree with the advice of getting yourself a team of professionals that you feel comfortable with who can support you to heal (mind, body and spirit). With that said, I also feel it is so important to focus on nutrient dense foods, not just calorie dense foods for overall health. Your body is giving you some strong messages that things are out of balance. There are healthy and unhealthy vegetarians, depending on food choices (focusing on refined/processed and "empty" calorie foods do not promote good health). There is a lot of wonderful information, backed by strong research, about the benefits of a whole foods plant-based diet. You might want to check out some websites to gain information on choosing foods that can help you get your weight/body back in balance (& foods that support your brain/nervous system, balance hormones, regulate electrolytes...etc.)
    Here are a few: pcrm.org, engine2diet.com, www.drmcdougall.com, forksoverknives.com/the-fok-diet.

Best wishes on your healing journey...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    It's going to take some time... Never ever binge, you don't want to make yourself sick...

If you can, possibly see a nutritionist, be VERY specific of what you can and can't stomach/eat..
  • KatieHugsBugs
    KatieHugsBugs Posts: 12 Member
    Sooo ive currently upped my calorie intake day 1 TODAY! I know it was starting a littlle late but you know...
    My experience with eating this much... not very pleasent, lets just say that if i ate another bite i would end up running to the toilet to take a 2 pounder turd.. gross but seriously i was that stuffed, but im glad im eating more and hopefully gaining weight! ;)
  • Professional support is SO important. Seriously, get some! It'll help so much :)

Apart from that, healthy fats are good. Avocado, nuts! Fruits can help build up your calorie count too. Dairy is good :)
    Don't be scared of "bad" food like cake and chocolate and biscuits- there are no bad or good foods and it's important for you to garner an appreciation for the taste of food.

Good luck! Most important is professional help and support though.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Agree with others about finding support but as for healthy foods. Full fat yogurt, avocado, full fat cheeses and eggs (if you eat them) are all healthy when included with other healthy foods. I really like the 100daysofrealfood.com for healthy meal ideas. I really like the peanut butter butternut squash recipe.
  • trainingman123
    trainingman123 Posts: 58 Member
    Try herbalife Formula 1 shakes 2 times a day. Its soy based so there is no animal products. Full of vitamins and minerals. Do this in addition to 3 meals a day. My friend has the same situation as you, she gained healthy weight with this program.

Just try it. You'll see.