MFP Runners - July 28

2»

Replies

• Good morning RUNNERS! Lovely here, but hot as can be.
    I forgot to set the alarm.....
    Coffee was ready, but not me.
    So I am going to do the treadmill. I was just going to go a little, but after reading around I am excited and will try for a little farther. Then I was reading about the Polar watches, and think I am going to buy or order one today. I think I like the F6 because I think the F11 is a little more than I need?(Any opinions on that?) And the F6 comes in a pretty pink and I think Pink in most cases when available.
    Happy Day!
  • OMG, I am so old, I knew what you were saying with TOM, but it just clicked why it is called that. I am so old, when I was younger, it was called grandma is visiting and that time and stuff like that. It is so cute to call it TOM. It is even funnier because my dads name is Tom and he is like a period most times, can't wait for him to leave! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Now I wont look at him the same.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    OMG, I am so old, I knew what you were saying with TOM, but it just clicked why it is called that. I am so old, when I was younger, it was called grandma is visiting and that time and stuff like that. It is so cute to call it TOM. It is even funnier because my dads name is Tom and he is like a period most times, can't wait for him to leave! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Now I wont look at him the same.

bwahahahahaha!!! Poor dad! :laugh: :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    I have a 5K a week from Thursday, but my foot is still a little iffy so I decided to split things up today. Did 15 minutes at 9 mph (about 80% max HR) then did a brutal 15 minute core and plyometrics workout, then did another 10 minutes at about 7 mph. This way I don't pound my foot into oblivion (and it worked, my foot feels good) but I still get most of my running in and a damn good core workout and leg workout.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Oh no... poor dad... :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    I have a 5K a week from Thursday, but my foot is still a little iffy so I decided to split things up today. Did 15 minutes at 9 mph (about 80% max HR) then did a brutal 15 minute core and plyometrics workout, then did another 10 minutes at about 7 mph. This way I don't pound my foot into oblivion (and it worked, my foot feels good) but I still get most of my running in and a damn good core workout and leg workout.

Thursday's kinda a strange day for a organized run. :huh:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good morning all!

Back into the thick of regular life and back on the treadmill. 3 miles today and bodypump. Came home with some new found motivation to get my butt in gear and do what I have to do to get healthy again. Made some mini goals and I am looking into some runs.

I believe that if I sign up for some races, 5k etc, that I will be motivated to keep going for fear of being the last person to cross the finish line! :wink: Strange motivation maybe but having races to plan for will give me a date that I must be ready by. Anyone with any training suggestions let me know. I live in AZ so I won't be doing any runs until November when the weather is back to 80 degrees or so, but then I have until March or early april to do races.

Just curious for those of you that do races already, how many do you do a year and how often?

Welcome back Nichole! I totally agree with you. I register for races to keep myself motivated to run regularly. It also helps that running shrinks my behind.:wink:

I always use the smart coach on runner's world to get a specific training program. It is pretty cool. You supply a recent race time, which day of the week you want to do your long run, how many weeks and how hard you want to train. Then, it gives you an easy to follow training program!

Here is my racing schedule this year:
    March 5K
    April 5K
    May 8K
    June 5K
    Sept 5K
    October 5K & 10 miler
    November Half Marathon

It is hot and humid here too. I run my last race every year in June. I would stop earlier but I am a fan of boobs. So I run the breast cancer race in June.

I have found it challenging to train well in Dec and Jan. So I go into maintenance mode. I'll run an easy run for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week.

There are tons of organized races all year in my area. So, I pick races that are for causes that are important to me and register early. When I sign up early, I save 30-40% on the registration fee. Plus, I am now more motivated to roll out of bed at 5am!

Hope this helps
    -Kechie.
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Gah. Haven't run in FOREVER - Between my grandmother's funeral and my husband's cycling tour, I've been a huge sloth - running tonight though as soon as I can!!!
  • Good morning all!

Back into the thick of regular life and back on the treadmill. 3 miles today and bodypump. Came home with some new found motivation to get my butt in gear and do what I have to do to get healthy again. Made some mini goals and I am looking into some runs.

I believe that if I sign up for some races, 5k etc, that I will be motivated to keep going for fear of being the last person to cross the finish line! :wink: Strange motivation maybe but having races to plan for will give me a date that I must be ready by. Anyone with any training suggestions let me know. I live in AZ so I won't be doing any runs until November when the weather is back to 80 degrees or so, but then I have until March or early april to do races.

Just curious for those of you that do races already, how many do you do a year and how often?

Welcome back Nichole! I totally agree with you. I register for races to keep myself motivated to run regularly. It also helps that running shrinks my behind.:wink:

I always use the smart coach on runner's world to get a specific training program. It is pretty cool. You supply a recent race time, which day of the week you want to do your long run, how many weeks and how hard you want to train. Then, it gives you an easy to follow training program!

Here is my racing schedule this year:
    March 5K
    April 5K
    May 8K
    June 5K
    Sept 5K
    October 5K & 10 miler
    November Half Marathon

It is hot and humid here too. I run my last race every year in June. I would stop earlier but I am a fan of boobs. So I run the breast cancer race in June.

I have found it challenging to train well in Dec and Jan. So I go into maintenance mode. I'll run an easy run for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week.

There are tons of organized races all year in my area. So, I pick races that are for causes that are important to me and register early. When I sign up early, I save 30-40% on the registration fee. Plus, I am now more motivated to roll out of bed at 5am!

Hope this helps
    -Kechie.

Yeah for Boobs! :drinker: That is a big saying in our house.
    I keep checking but we don't have as many as you have in races, but I am looking forward to a couple in about a month or two. One in particular down in Long Beach, it will be my first one, I am going to try a 10k. The one for boobs didn't work for my schedule, and so I am planning it for next year for sure!!!!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    10K is my favorite distance!:drinker:

Can't wait to hear how it goes
    :heart: -Kechie.
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Way to go Kechie on all the races! That is awesome.

I have boot camp tonight, so no run for me!

It took me a while to realize what "TOM" stood for (I understood it in context but didn't know what the letters meant) - but I got it now! I definitely keep up the exercise during my TOM ... first of all, it lasts 6 days so I don't want to take a week off every single month, and second of all it really helps me feel better about myself when I feel so "yucky" ... if you know what I mean.
  • OK, I am done with my work outs and it is only 1:30 in the after noon.

I did a 30 minute work out with Jillian
    then
    40 minute run on the treadmill. I got in 3 miles.

I don't get it, I think I sweat more on the treadmill than on the road, must have to do with not having the wind blow through my hair and stuff. But it felt like a good run, even though it was shorter than I have been doing.

Everyone have a great Day!!!:tongue:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Thanks!:bigsmile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member

Hope this helps
    -Kechie.

Thanks for all your advice Kechie, I just got on runners world today so I will go and find the info you gave. I also googled races in arizona and a ton came up, I will have to pass on the summer ones but November is looking great, I can't wait to do my first race!

My husband is a huge fan of boobs (no pun) :wink: maybe I can talk into joining me for a good cause, besides I'd like to keep mine and help children to keep theirs!
  • jpritts
    jpritts Posts: 36
    I did my normal 3 miles. I am entering my first 5 k run to be held next week. WOOT. Wish me luck everyone. I dont care about being 1st, but I don't want to be last.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I did my normal 3 miles. I am entering my first 5 k run to be held next week. WOOT. Wish me luck everyone. I dont care about being 1st, but I don't want to be last.

Hey Congrats! that is great news! you will do wonderful!! The energy of a race will make you run faster than usual, wait and see....Is it this coming Saturday or Sunday (8/2) or next weekend (8/9)?
  • Shannon023
    Good for you!! Organized runs are so fun! :drinker:
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    I am still not able to run. I did a legs, back, and abs workout tonight. Hopefully I can resume running in a couple of days.