Why is bread so bad?

Im having a lot of people on here recommend I cut bread out of my diet completely. Now I completely get why breads with high fructose corn syrup are bad and obviously the bleached white breads. but are ALL breads really that bad for your health or body if your trying to lose weight? Im also hearing stuff about glutens and no glutens and im confuzzled.

Replies

• Im having a lot of people on here recommend I cut bread out of my diet completely. Now I completely get why breads with high fructose corn syrup are bad and obviously the bleached white breads. but are ALL breads really that bad for your health or body if your trying to lose weight? Im also hearing stuff about glutens and no glutens and im confuzzled.

However; I should Add I know I need to figure out what TO eat so im not saying UGH is it all bad bad bc I dont want to make changes, Im just genuinely curious lol
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    There is absolutely not need to cut gluten out of your diet unless you have an intolerance to it. A lot of people recommend cutting out bread because they are on low carb diets. However, diet is a function of calories in and calories out, so if you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight whether or not you eat bread. Some people claim they react badly to carbs, but the body needs them to function effectively.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22209501

Abstract

BACKGROUND & AIMS:
    Despite the lack of scientific evidence, bread is one of the most restricted foods in popular hypocaloric diets. The aim of this study was to compare two nutrition strategies (with or without bread) designed to promote weight loss in overweight/obese women.

METHODS:
    A clinical, prospective and randomised study in which 122 women >18 years, BMI ≥ 25 < 40 kg/m(2) were divided into two groups: intervention group (BREAD, n = 61) and control group (NO BREAD, n = 61). Both groups received a low-calorie diet (with or without bread), nutrition education and physical activity guidelines, and were monitored for 16 weeks.

RESULTS:
    104 women completed the study (48.4 ± 9 years, 29.8 ± 3.5 kg/m(2)). Anthropometric and biochemical markers improved after the intervention without significant differences between groups. BREAD group significantly increased total cereal consumption (3.2 ± 1.3 to 3.7 ± 0.5 servings/day, P < 0.05) and the percentage of energy from carbohydrates (41.2 ± 6.4 vs. 45.9 ± 5.0% P < 0.001) and reduced fat (39.0 ± 6.6 vs. 32.7 ± 5.1% P < 0.001). In contrast, NO BREAD group increased the discrepancy with recommended consumption. NO BREAD group had the most dropouts (21.3% vs. 6.6%, P < 0.05).

CONCLUSION:
    The bread inclusion in a low-calorie diet designed for weight loss favoured a better evolution of dietetic parameters and greater compliance with the diet with fewer dropouts.

TLDR: bread didn't effect weight loss, but people in the NO BREAD group were far likely to drop out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    bread isnt bad... just as many people will tell you to keep bread in your diet as those who will say remove it....
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    From someone who cant have bread 'Enjoy and eat'. Obviously if you are eating 2 loaves a day and nothing else I would advise you to cut down but if you like bread why cut it out?
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    If you're already eating carbs and not trying to low carb it the only downside i could see to bread is the high glycemic load of those carbs. If you're not feverishly hungry in a couple hours eating more high glycemic carbs then I wouldn't worry. If you are maybe cut the bread or at least eat a protein with it.
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Another thing you should look at regarding bread is;

It add's extra to a meal.

My mrs goes crazy at me when i have 2-3 slices of bread with my dinner, or with my soup because on a calorie level that is 300 extra calories. ( i now dont eat bread ) - but a meal that should be 300 calories, then becomes 600.

about the whole carbs thing, probally best if you google that, the whole, simple/complex carbs etc.
  • Im blown away by the knowledge of the users on this site daily. Thank you all so much for your information and replies!
    I think I may have been getting the responses as stated above due to the calorie intake, as a means of saying if you cut the bread it will help cut out lots of the calories. Thank you as well for answering the gluten thing bc that was interesting to me.

Im a forum junkie so no doubt people will see me on here more often in the future, Im dedicated to being the healthiest me I can be and I believe my first start is nutrition. Being raised in the south im definitely learning ALOT on this site lol.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Don’t ever let anyone tell you any type of food is ‘bad’ or should be cut out of your diet, unless you have a medical reason to remove it. You will probably get it a lot, but no food is inherently bad, unless you eat too much of it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Im blown away by the knowledge of the users on this site daily. Thank you all so much for your information and replies!
    I think I may have been getting the responses as stated above due to the calorie intake, as a means of saying if you cut the bread it will help cut out lots of the calories. Thank you as well for answering the gluten thing bc that was interesting to me.

Im a forum junkie so no doubt people will see me on here more often in the future, Im dedicated to being the healthiest me I can be and I believe my first start is nutrition. Being raised in the south im definitely learning ALOT on this site lol.

stop worrying about a bit of bread and look at your fruit and veg intake instead then!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    <
    eats a cheese and meat sarnie everyday as part of my lunch.

Doesn't believe bread is bad. Believes it is good! How else am I meant to make delicious sandwiches?
  • MikeRuz456
    MikeRuz456 Posts: 8 Member
    I wouldnt say that bread or grains in general are bad for you, however I chose not to eat them because I dont really feel great after eating grains afterwards, maybe I have an intolerance, maybe is psychological who knows. I try to look at it this way, for millions of years humans were hunter gatherers constantly on the move, only very recently in history did humans introduce grains into their diet once they settled down into a more agricultural society, so why mess with evolution if we evolved without grains? Thats just how I look at it I could be wrong lol
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Robot_Devil_Fiddle.png

Bread is the Devil! If you eat any bread at all your immortal soul will forever burn under the cruel gaze of the Pillsbury dough-boy! As you hear the tormented, wailing shrieks of the other flaky, tortured souls around you, you'll know that there was no wonder in Wonderbread at all! You'll see others, strapped to racks by the Keebler hell-spawn demons, and Tori Spelling in her natural form!

And as you are cast into a molten lake of cooking pastry, you'll forever lament, "Why, oh why did I ever let those crispy, fluffy carbs seduce my palate? Why has thou forsaken me, lord of beef?"

Okay, (dumb) kidding aside... bread's okay, but I personally avoid it. It doesn't satisfy my hunger and contains an awful lot of calories for what little it is... Unless it's whole grain, I'm just not interested in the slightest, and would probably get as much nutrition from drywall as I would from white bread...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If your bread is bad, feed it to the birds and buy a new loaf. Or, if you are talented, or if you have one of those fancy machines, make your own bread. Freshly baked bread is delicious.

I eat two to three servings of bread just about every day.
  • WendyTerry420
    Another thing you should look at regarding bread is;

It add's extra to a meal.

My mrs goes crazy at me when i have 2-3 slices of bread with my dinner, or with my soup because on a calorie level that is 300 extra calories. ( i now dont eat bread ) - but a meal that should be 300 calories, then becomes 600.

about the whole carbs thing, probally best if you google that, the whole, simple/complex carbs etc.

300 calories is a snack. Adding the bread makes it a meal. (especially if you put some butter on that bread, yum!)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Unless it's whole grain, I'm just not interested in the slightest, and would probably get as much nutrition from drywall as I would from white bread...

Nah.

White bread has carbs, fat, protein, iron, calcium and fibre... Prolly more micros too but I don't want to look it up right now.
  • WendyTerry420
    I wouldnt say that bread or grains in general are bad for you, however I chose not to eat them because I dont really feel great after eating grains afterwards, maybe I have an intolerance, maybe is psychological who knows. I try to look at it this way, for millions of years humans were hunter gatherers constantly on the move, only very recently in history did humans introduce grains into their diet once they settled down into a more agricultural society, so why mess with evolution if we evolved without grains? Thats just how I look at it I could be wrong lol

If humans could only thrive in circumstances similar to the ones their predecessors lived in, life would not have lasted very long. :laugh:
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Robot_Devil_Fiddle.png

Bread is the Devil! If you eat any bread at all your immortal soul will forever burn under the cruel gaze of the Pillsbury dough-boy! As you hear the tormented, wailing shrieks of the other flaky, tortured souls around you, you'll know that there was no wonder in Wonderbread at all! You'll see others, strapped to racks by the Keebler hell-spawn demons, and Tori Spelling in her natural form!

And as you are cast into a molten lake of cooking pastry, you'll forever lament, "Why, oh why did I ever let those crispy, fluffy carbs seduce my palate? Why has thou forsaken me, lord of beef?"

Okay, (dumb) kidding aside... bread's okay, but I personally avoid it. It doesn't satisfy my hunger and contains an awful lot of calories for what little it is... Unless it's whole grain, I'm just not interested in the slightest, and would probably get as much nutrition from drywall as I would from white bread...

curse you for forcing me to read your comment in the voice of the robot devil!! Molten lake.... Made me think of molten lava cake and that crap is delicious I'd swim in that! Although I've sworn myself off it.....

For me I limit the amount of bread I eat and if I do eat it is only whole grain but that is so I'm not messing with my blood sugar too much... And then I just crave more later on.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Bread is just super calorie dense, you can eat a load of vegetables or fruits / some meat for the same amount of calories in a small serving of bread or pasta.

But then again, who doesn't love a nice bowl of pasta or garlic bread? Just gotta know where to put your calorie intake proportions for the day.