So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Bump
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    HI happy New Year. My question is does anyone use Kettlebells and if so how many calories can you burn in an hour, I have heard that 1200 can be burnt, but then that is by the promoters of the product.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    HI happy New Year. My question is does anyone use Kettlebells and if so how many calories can you burn in an hour, I have heard that 1200 can be burnt, but then that is by the promoters of the product.

Calorie burn is based on effort. Highly unlikely you can keep up max effort and max heart rate to produce that kind of burn in an hour. On top of that you'd have to be very heavy to produce a super high calorie burn. I think someone on page 3 or 4 mentioned they use kettlebells for their workout. You'd probably find better answers to your question in a group or a topic specifically about kettlebells (since your question is slightly off topic).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=kettlebells
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Bumping for reference.
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Hi thanks for your reply, just had a look at the link and unfortunately not much action on any of the kettlebell groups.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Bumping for reference.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Great info. I guess my only question is about the calorie deficit -- was that A) directed at "everyone who wants a nice stomach" or B) only the overweight?

I started NROLFW last week and am using their calorie calculations (1,905 on non-workout days, 2,145 on lifting days) to average out to 2,000/day. I'm OK on protein (I'm trying to get 100g everyday and 115+g on lifting days).

Female, 24 y/o, 5'6", fluctuating between 119-121 lbs. Calculators estimate my BF% somewhere between 21-24%. I'm thin, but a little "squishy".

I know patience is key, and I'm not trying to rush results -- I'm just trying to figure out if I'd have better/quicker results if I ate at a cut from TDEE, or should I stay at maintenance since I'm already at a healthy weight/BF%? Basically, I want to look goooood by summer and am not sure if a slow re-comp at maintenance level will provide that.
  • usmcmp
    Great info. I guess my only question is about the calorie deficit -- was that A) directed at "everyone who wants a nice stomach" or B) only the overweight?

I started NROLFW last week and am using their calorie calculations (1,905 on non-workout days, 2,145 on lifting days) to average out to 2,000/day. I'm OK on protein (I'm trying to get 100g everyday and 115+g on lifting days).

Female, 24 y/o, 5'6", fluctuating between 119-121 lbs. Calculators estimate my BF% somewhere between 21-24%. I'm thin, but a little "squishy".

I know patience is key, and I'm not trying to rush results -- I'm just trying to figure out if I'd have better/quicker results if I ate at a cut from TDEE, or should I stay at maintenance since I'm already at a healthy weight/BF%? Basically, I want to look goooood by summer and am not sure if a slow re-comp at maintenance level will provide that.

Calculators aren't necessarily accurate. Unless you do bodpod, calipers or hydrostatic it will be more of a guess. Even if you are at 21% you still have fat to lose before you could see abs. So, unless you are underweight or super low body fat my comment about a calorie deficit is for everyone. You aren't overweight even if you are 24%, so you could have a lower deficit than 20%, but you still need a deficit to drop the fat and show abs. "Thin and squishy" means you still have body fat.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    This hasn't been bumped in a while...
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Thanks for this!
  • usmcmp
    This hasn't been bumped in a while...

Thanks for bumping it!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    I've never tried to dry out a corner of a sponge. Are we sure this can't happen?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    wonderful advice and you are absolutely right :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    I thought I had posted here earlier, but I guess I didn't, so I'm bumping so it show up on my page. You're all full of the good stuff, girl! :flowerforyou:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Love this post! Thank you!
  • usmcmp
    I've never tried to dry out a corner of a sponge. Are we sure this can't happen?

Very sure. Unless the sponge is very old or moldy.
  • JaneE1967
    JaneE1967 Posts: 29 Member
    Very informative post as I have just started at gym and want to benefit from cardio and lifting. Thank you for sharing. :drinker:
  • Amen.
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Bump :wink: