Thoughts on Food Addiction Help

I'm seeing a therapist today about food addiction. I was wondering if anyone here as gone to one or thought about it?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    I am glad that you are open to seeing someone to discuss any issues that may be bothersome for you. However, be careful of a therapist that specifically treats for "food addiction" because diagnostically it does not exist. That said, there are other eating disorders and other diagnosis that can capture other issues, but "food addiction" is not one of them.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I'm seeing a therapist today about food addiction. I was wondering if anyone here as gone to one or thought about it?

Alot of MFP's don't believe in food addiction. That's most likely what your thread will turn into, a discussion regarding the validity of your 'illness.'

It would be interesting to hear what your therapist has to say, though.
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks! Good to know going in.
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    I honestly just used that term. I don't know what term to use when it come to my issue with food and my inability to prevent binging.
    I don't want to cause issue with anyone here, I guess I could have put binging instead.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    It is very much like alcohol or tobacco but unfortunately, you just can't quit cold turkey. Good luck.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    This thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1165339-sweets-sugar-chocolate-uhgg-i-think-i-died?page=3

has a very thoughtful post on the same subject, by someone who should know something about it, ( CyberEd312 MFP Moderator )
    if you're interested....
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    So how did it go? I am going to a food addiction support group tomorrow, to give it a try.