need advice

Options
2»

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're really that afraid of eating, you should seek counseling before it gets out of hand. And don't fast...it does nothing but upset insulin levels when you begin eating again, and you'll feel bloated and just as unhappy as you were to begin with. The only reason to fast is to prepare for surgery or some exploratory procedure into your intestines. If you have a high amount of body fat but you're as slender as you look in your picture, it would be in your best interested to incorporate weight training into your routine so you'll feel firmer and increase your metabolism.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you're really that afraid of eating, you should seek counseling before it gets out of hand. And don't fast...it does nothing but upset insulin levels when you begin eating again, and you'll feel bloated and just as unhappy as you were to begin with. The only reason to fast is to prepare for surgery or some exploratory procedure into your intestines. If you have a high amount of body fat but you're as slender as you look in your picture, it would be in your best interested to incorporate weight training into your routine so you'll feel firmer and increase your metabolism.

Thank You!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Thank You!

No problem :) I always tell it like I see it.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Again I agree with Songbyrd, and Loretta
    Fasting is not the right thing to do for someone that is afraid to eat in the first place.
    I have never hear a single doctor tell anyone to fast.
    If they did I would think about going to another doctor.
    I have had Doctors tell people to get up and MOVE, but never to stop eating.
    Fasting works for the sort term, Yeah you can lose weight that way, but your body shuts down and starts to store calories, then when you eat normally again, you gain TWICE as much weight back.
    I have seen people that went into shock from fasting. Of course as a disclaimer, they fasted for a long time not just a day. But even at one day I find it very hard to believe that fasting is good for you.
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    BUT to not talk FOR the doctors on the fasting issue, I will take a trip around the office and see what they say if you are all interested.
    --Diann
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    dncr8707, from what I see you look beautiful. Your body looks amazing. You need to be happy with yourself and not worry about what people think of you. What matters is you. You seem active and healthy and it sounds like you have someone who cares for you the way you are.
    Be careful with your choices and we are all here for you.
    Take care
    Renee
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor and he never once mentioned fasting as an option or optimal way to start loosing weight. His suggestion is what I have followed and so far so good. His suggestion was a mediterranean style diet, lots of fish, veggies, fruit and lean meats and dairy and to not get rid of any one aspect of you diet (like getting rid of all carbs, which you need if you are active!)

I would recommend you find a PROFESSIONAL to help you at this point because you are not eatting enough if your calorie count is right and that is only going to come back to haunt you. If that is a picture of you on your post you have nothing to worry about physically. EAt right and keep exercising.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who fast for his religion. They get to eat in the morning, but limited to what they can eat. They don't fast for the whole day. It is for so many hours. Fasting is very dangerous!!
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I want to offer my personal story to you.

I have suffered anorexia and body dysmorphia in the past - and it starts out much the way you are describing. When I entered high school, that waif/Kate Moss look was in and it seemed all the girls at my school fit that ideal. All except me. I was by no means fat (size 0) but I have always been curvy with hips and a butt. I began exercising for at least 2 hours a day and cutting my calories drastically if I even ate at all. I lost a ton of weight, but I still felt fat since my hips and butt would not go down. And my stomach, although nice and flat - was not flat enough. This type of behavior went on for about 5 or 6 years duing which my weight fluctuated between 90 and 105 pounds (I had moments of sanity when I'd realize I wasn't doing my body any good and would force myself to eat even though I was terrified to and I'd gain back a healthy weight). But I always continued on with my insane workout schedule determined to get that perfect body I dreamed of. At the time I was to blind to see how good I looked.

I finally realized I needed help (after much encouragement from my mom and boyfriend) and spoke with a school psychologist who helped me to see that my fears were all in my head and that the image I saw reflected back at me in the mirror was one I was creating in my own mind. And that I was choosing to focus on my "flaws" (whether real or imagined) rather than see the whole picture. I changed my eating habits and continued working out but instead for pleasure rather than weight loss and moved up to a healthier 112-115 pounds. The psychologist also helped me to realize I'd tended to become stricter on myself when I felt out of control in other areas of my life. Almost like since I couldn't control some things that were happening (like the death of my grandfather) I made sure to take strict control of my diet and exercise where I knew I could.

Now I am about 28 pounds heavier. And I look back at pictures of myself and am amazed I ever thought I was fat and that my hips or butt was large. In fact, I am envious of the body I once had. While I am still tempted at times to revert back to old habits, I will not let myself. I am choosing to take control there. I know what it's like to be afraid to eat, to up your calorie intake. But I now tell myself I am more afraid to teach my kids bad habits. More afraid to disppoint my loved ones. More afraid to die.

I highly suggest you do talk to a doctor. I wish you luck and if you feel maybe my personal experience can help you, please contact me and I'd be happy to offer you some support privately. :flowerforyou:
  • lovableditz
    Options
    Again I agree with Songbyrd, and Loretta
    Fasting is not the right thing to do for someone that is afraid to eat in the first place.
    I have never hear a single doctor tell anyone to fast.
    If they did I would think about going to another doctor.
    I have had Doctors tell people to get up and MOVE, but never to stop eating.
    Fasting works for the sort term, Yeah you can lose weight that way, but your body shuts down and starts to store calories, then when you eat normally again, you gain TWICE as much weight back.
    I have seen people that went into shock from fasting. Of course as a disclaimer, they fasted for a long time not just a day. But even at one day I find it very hard to believe that fasting is good for you.
    --Diann...

fasting has more benefits then just for your health. it has spiritual benetfits too. and on a fast you can drink pure fruit and vegitable juices. im not advocating anarexia or wannarexia im just saying that fasting has positive effects on the body and spirit. the website fasting.com has great info.
  • dncr8707
    Options
    Thanks guys, i appreciate all this. wow i dont know any of you and youve offered more support than my "friends" would even think of giving.