Cardio/Stregnth Training AM vs PM?

Quick question if you were to do one in the AM and one in the PM which way would you go? Would you do cardio in the AM and strength in the PM or vise versa?Thanks! :)

Replies

• barbi_jean
    barbi_jean Posts: 87 Member
    I do cardio in the AM. It gets my oxygen flowing and stimulates my brain! Makes for a better day and more motivation to make better choices that day.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    I do cardio in the AM. It gets my oxygen flowing and stimulates my brain! Makes for a better day and more motivation to make better choices that day.

Thats what i was thinking and then with weight lifting you burn fat for longer after..
  • Stregnth AM / Cardio PM - I don't wan't to be tired from cardio when doing a stregnth workout.
  • 50_to_lose
    50_to_lose Posts: 28 Member
    Cardio AM
    Weights PM
    Because I have more energy to lift after eating during the day
    Lifting in the morning just makes me feel tired and hungry all day
    and I cant lift as much after only having breakfast.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Do what's most important first. For me, that's lifting first then Cardio much later in the PM.
    Thats what i was thinking and then with weight lifting you burn fat for longer after..

That's a myth. You're not going to burn fat more doing one first than the other later. It's the combined energy (calories) you burn doing both combined with a calorie deficit (if necessary) that will lose the fat.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Stregnth AM / Cardio PM - I don't wan't to be tired from cardio when doing a stregnth workout.

^^^ This x's 10 if you main focus is strength. If your main goal of cardiovascular capacity do that first.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Thanks you guys!! :) I was thinking about splitting them up becuase working full time and with a toddler at home i only have time to do so much here and there lol just gotta fit it in where i can!
  • I hear the experts saying that you should do strength first, then cardio immediately after for fat burning. I have a ton of weight lifting equipment at home, and do a home lifting program so I do my lifting a few hours after my gym (treadmill run) cardio, so my food is replenished by the time I do strength. It works for me. If I worked outside the home, I'd probably do the opposite since I'd have to take into consideration my time.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    If I work out hard in the morning I'm tired all day. I think it's a personal preference.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    I do all my workouts in the morning!! I love the idea of starting my morning by kickin' a**!! lol! I have heard all kinds of thoughts on when to do what and how to do what and what works best is this... simply do what you know feels good for you!

I know that's probably not kosher with all the super fit trainers, etc. But I have found that one thing is for sure. If I am doing what I want...and even after a year and a half I still won't quit.

Now! Don't get me wrong. I still do things I don't like to do... I just don't have a set amount or "requirement"... I just simply like to work hard and get better... challenge myself. I tell my friends all the time that they need to take things at a pace that they like. It's a life change...not a quick fix.

So my advice is go to the gym... do what works best for you.