Why am I gaining weight with Fitness Pal?

Hi, I began this program about 4 weeks ago, am following a 1300 calorie plan
and exercise about every other day. My goal was to lose about 8 lbs. I HAVE GAINED
5 lbs. What is going on? It is not muscle weight, and I do not have thyroid issues (I had blood work
done for that.). I am a 37 year old mom of 2 and weigh more than ever!

Replies

• ShortStrut
    ShortStrut Posts: 22 Member
    Make sure you measure yourself. A 4 pound gain for me also yielded an inch loss in the waist, and 1.5 inches in the hips.

You have to keep in mind how the body reacts to changes. It will take about a month for your system to adapt to whatever new things you introduce.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It could be water weight. PMS, TOM, mild food intollerance, eating too much sodium, among many other things can cause water weight gain. Even exercise can cause water weight gain if you are new to it.

If it's fat gain, then you are eating too many calories. That's unlikely if you are truly only eating 1300. Do you log everything you consume that has calories? Are you honest in your logging?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Are you really being honest about your food diary? You need to measure out your portions precisely. A bowl of cereal that you may log as one serving can easily be 2-3 in reality.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    You may be eating more calories then you realise.

It's math pure and simple.
  • TonyTrink
    TonyTrink Posts: 38 Member
    Your food log is not viewable, so not many folks are going to be able to give any specific feedback. I lost 5 lbs my first 4 weeks on MFP, eating between 1200-1300 cals and exercising 3 times a week for 90 mins a week, and I'm pretty sure I didn't even make the exercise goal that first couple of weeks. Eye-balling portion size and guesstimation doesn't cut it. Weighing and measuring portion size and logging it in every day, honestly, every piece of food I put in my body. Using timers and maping out distances when doing my walking or exercises, then logging them in, that's how it works for me.
  • rooneyt2013
    rooneyt2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Yes, I log EVERYTHING, down to a breath mint! ;)
  • rooneyt2013
    rooneyt2013 Posts: 7 Member
    How do I make my log visible?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    How do I make my log visible?

My Home / Settings / Diary Settings Diary Sharing = Public

Have you seen this link as well?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
  • SifuJamie
    SifuJamie Posts: 4 Member
    Your starving eat more...protein and good fats together and carbs and protein after workouts. Never carbs and fat. Drink Cold water 1st thing in the morning. 20 min of something. Even 20 squats 10pushups 20 crunches. Breakfast 2 hours after waking. No package crap. If it's in a box, you're better off eating the box (lol) You'll get more nutrition out of it. Carbs only after work out. . Base calories + 400 on workout days, base calories - 400 on none workout days. It will work wonders
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    this could be a combination of several things, as mentioned above.

keep in mind that weight loss is not linear, and there will be peaks and valleys along the way.

as long as your calories in are less than your calories out (at a healthy deficit), you will start to see the number drop.

i also strongly agree with the user that advised taking measurements. as you recompose your body, you may not see MAJOR changes in the number on the scale, but your measurements could be changing drastically.

good luck and keep killin it!
  • Make sure you weigh your food using a food scale. The calories listed on packaging is off, almost always.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Yes, I log EVERYTHING, down to a breath mint! ;)

Logging is one thing, weighing and logging is another. Weigh and measure your intake. I bet it's more than you think.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    If you're logging everything correctly with a food scale then you should be, are you eating back your exercise calories like MFP is designed?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Your starving eat more...protein and good fats together and carbs and protein after workouts. Never carbs and fat. Drink Cold water 1st thing in the morning. 20 min of something. Even 20 squats 10pushups 20 crunches. Breakfast 2 hours after waking. No package crap. If it's in a box, you're better off eating the box (lol) You'll get more nutrition out of it. Carbs only after work out. . Base calories + 400 on workout days, base calories - 400 on none workout days. It will work wonders

it is possible she's eating too little, but the rest of this advice is a mishmosh of silliness.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    It could be water weight or the scale is showing the muscle you're gaining from exercise. The scale isn't always reliable because it doesn't differentiate muscle and fat gain, so go by how you feel. Take measurements, maybe you lost inches. If you're logging correctly and at 1300 calories per day, you can't be gaining fat. That math doesn't make sense. Be honest with yourself, log everything correctly (weigh and measure your food and drinks with calories, like juice), and give it some more time. MFP is a great resource and is not leading you astray, but you have to keep yourself accountable and log honestly and religiously.

Best of luck,

Bri
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member

:huh:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member

it is possible she's eating too little, but the rest of this advice is a mishmosh of silliness.

Love ya Will :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    lolNO
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member

I love eating the box.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    I concur regarding weighing your food. When I started weighed I realized that I had been completely wrong regarding things like what 4oz of chicken breast looks like, and how little feta goes into 1oz, etc. I was over-eating 300-500 calories a day! Digital scale is where it is at.