ouch - help with shins

Hi mfp's,

I need help from you great runners and walkers out there. I love to walk and would run but everytime I try to run my shins just kill me. And, I mean this happens after the first few steps running not after I injure myself.

I have tried various stretches, I have changed shoes, I am out of ideas.

Do I just keep running and run through the pain? I don't want to injure myself but I really want to get into running. It has been years since I ran.

Would love any comments, suggestions or just a good laugh:laugh:

thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    Hi mfp's,

I need help from you great runners and walkers out there. I love to walk and would run but everytime I try to run my shins just kill me. And, I mean this happens after the first few steps running not after I injure myself.

I have tried various stretches, I have changed shoes, I am out of ideas.

Do I just keep running and run through the pain? I don't want to injure myself but I really want to get into running. It has been years since I ran.

Would love any comments, suggestions or just a good laugh:laugh:

thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Try massage this area and pushing on the bone. i know...it hurts like heck but it worked for me. Make sure your not sprinting just run slow and easy for the next couple of weeks it will get better.
  • umster23
    umster23 Posts: 3
    Hi there!! I've been running since high school and all I have to say is ......"YOU NEED NEW SHOES or just BETTER SHOES!!!!" Also, you shouldn't really be running in your walking shoes anyway. If the shin splints happen again after running try to slow down and walk on your heels for 10min and then on your toes for another 10. Try stretching it out also by flexing your feet toward your leg and then again away (pointed toes here). I hope this helps...I understand your pain!!! Keep up the hard work!!

Well since you'be tried everything...do you know if you have flat feet...you may need a shoe that has more arch support or some inserts. I would cold pack your shins after the splints occur. I know it hurts but stretching it out is the best way, honestly!!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Icing afterwards helps, too. I was in track in h.s. and we would keep dixie cups of ice in the freezer to ice our shins agfter running. Umster23 was right about good shoes...ones with a good arch support. Also, the stretching is really important.

Hope this helps! Oh, and if you can take ibuprofen (Advil), that can help too as it's an antiinflammatory.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Stretching is very important yes. But not just the shins.

shin splints have various causes, but one of the most common ones is a weak core (I know, crazy but it's true). Most of your larger leg muscle groups connect at the hip flexors, groin, or lower back. If your core or upper legs are weak, they are going to put more stress on your smaller muscle and tendon groups.

work out your core and use shin straps to help keep the muscle immoble while you walk (there are straps out there that wrap around the lower knee, and keep the muscles in the lower leg more immoble and keep them from pulling on the bone, which is the cause of shin splints), you should be able to find them at CVS or Wallgreens.

Working your core, and stretching your whole body before walking and after walking will help, and don't walk through the pain, if you feel it, slow down or stop until it goes away. Icing the area after will help as well. If after a month or so of strengthening your core and upper legs, icing, and immobilization doesn't work, you may need the help of an exercise physiologist or physical therapist, don't hesitate, they can usually isolate and solve the problem pretty quickly.

Best of luck
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    My Hubby got shin splints years and years ago when going through Air Crew Training School--had to go to doc and ended up being set back in school by a month. He was in horrible pain! Took forever to get over them but I think he waited too long to get help.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I don't get shin splints, but a neighbor was getting them and she finally went to the Dr. Ended up that she actually had a stress fracture in her leg. If nothing else helps, it might be worth checking that out too.
  • mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    You guys are all so awesome!!! Lots of good ideas here and good thoughts. I will try all of the above, including getting checked out and new shoes. Thanks so much!!!!:flowerforyou: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :flowerforyou: