Wow Thanks myfitnesspal.com

Wow, Exercise is Amazing!
Sadly, I have neglected regular exercise most of this time, although I am fairly active in general, but I moved my stationary bike upstairs and got out my hand weights and began an exercise program this week and WOW!
i am amazed at how many calories I burned in just a short workout! And the better part is how many calories it added to my daily total!
It is great to see that all I eat during the day is cut in half and I have calories left over at the end. As long as I don't 'eat up' the difference I am ahead of the game. That was a revelation.
It gave me a new perspective on exercise. Being the creature of 30 years of habit, (not exercising regularly, and looking at it as something that 'takes away' my free time and options....yeah, I know that was stupid anyway!) this comes as quite a shock to me that I will gain what I desire by exercising a little during the day...
Yeah, I know I am slow to get the point and stubborn.
So all I can say is THANKS MYFITNESSPAL.COM.
Doing this program has made me pay attention to what I eat and made ME want to exercise!!!
Great Job.
:bigsmile:

Replies

• deciedee
    deciedee Posts: 50
    Wow, Exercise is Amazing!
    Sadly, I have neglected regular exercise most of this time, although I am fairly active in general, but I moved my stationary bike upstairs and got out my hand weights and began an exercise program this week and WOW!
    i am amazed at how many calories I burned in just a short workout! And the better part is how many calories it added to my daily total!
    It is great to see that all I eat during the day is cut in half and I have calories left over at the end. As long as I don't 'eat up' the difference I am ahead of the game. That was a revelation.
    It gave me a new perspective on exercise. Being the creature of 30 years of habit, (not exercising regularly, and looking at it as something that 'takes away' my free time and options....yeah, I know that was stupid anyway!) this comes as quite a shock to me that I will gain what I desire by exercising a little during the day...
    Yeah, I know I am slow to get the point and stubborn.
    So all I can say is THANKS MYFITNESSPAL.COM.
    Doing this program has made me pay attention to what I eat and made ME want to exercise!!!
    Great Job.
    :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I'm happy for you BUT (yes you knew it was coming) you are supposed to eat up those extra calories... that's kind of the point of them being added at all. Not eating them doesn't put u ahead of the game, it actually leaves you in the dust. SO eat them up, you earn them, you eat them. It works, you'll see! :flowerforyou:
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    I just wanted to say that i read you post and was thinking how great it was and then I looked at your picture and "how pretty!" just popped into my head. good luck with the exercise.
  • deciedee
    Wow! What a nice compliment. Thank you very much. And good luck on your fitness reg.
    :wink:
  • deciedee
    First, Kerrilucko, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! It is such an exciting time. I just got married in April! So, Good Luck on that, (you'll need it! Weddings are great but so much to do!)
    Now, what do you mean I am supposed to 'eat them up'. I thought I had to burn MORE calories than I take in to lose? So I don't understand that?:huh:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    your deficit is built in. you need to eat your exercise calories or most of them. Go to your goals on your home page and look. Also if you have not read some of the newbie posts it explains it better than I can, I will push one up for you :bigsmile:
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member

thanks shorerider I could not find it to post. :flowerforyou:
  • deciedee
    Well, I did read Banks explanation and I understand all of it about starvation mode and metabolism changes but I still don't really understand how I can eat as many calories as I burn off....and I see that it is built in to my calculations and all but it scares me to assume I can eat all that and not gain weight..I still thought you had to burn more calories than you consume to lose...
    Like I said I get most of what he said down to the eating the calories part, I know about that from other diets and crash dieting so much when I was younger,,,and ending up with my gall bladder out at 33 and diabetes now, I just can't wrap my mind around the eating the calories concept...Help!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Well, I did read Banks explanation and I understand all of it about starvation mode and metabolism changes but I still don't really understand how I can eat as many calories as I burn off....and I see that it is built in to my calculations and all but it scares me to assume I can eat all that and not gain weight..I still thought you had to burn more calories than you consume to lose...
    Like I said I get most of what he said down to the eating the calories part, I know about that from other diets and crash dieting so much when I was younger,,,and ending up with my gall bladder out at 33 and diabetes now, I just can't wrap my mind around the eating the calories concept...Help!

You can't "burn more calories than you consume" or else you would starve. It is simple--

MFP builds in a deficit that you need to lose weight

Any exercise calories would put you at too great a deficit, so you have to eat your exercise calories to maintain your caloric intake at a healthy level.