NSV! I ran a mile! (First time... EVER!)

Replies

• nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    this is a great NSV!! keep on running!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Congrats! That is fantastic. :drinker:
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    fantastic!!!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Awesome.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Way to go! I remember that day very well!

Enjoy the feeling, and keep on running!
  • Keep it up and well done :)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Ryan , I recently just ran my first mile and like you I was over the top !! Good for you ...I run slower than you or else I can't breath . I go like 4.5 I am 5' almost 3" it's ajog really but super excited when I'm done .

Did you feel like ' I can run" when you were done? I did it's like I can see all the things I have ever wanted coming true after that mile right? LOL go you !!!!
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    way to go ! I am trying to get there. How long did it take you?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! To answer your question, I am not sure! :/

I started losing weight over a year ago and just became more active as I went. First was bicycling, I did that regularly and pushed hard until I got up to 20+ mile rides and being able to maintain over 15mph.

I started hiking a 5k up and down a mountain (650 foot climb) every weekend a few months ago. The trail is has four or five short and steep hills with two killer ones at the end. There are a few flat lengths in between. I started with the goal of "just don't stop" and once I accomplished that I started timing myself. Once I starting being able to keep a good pace I started running a little on the way down. Now I run a little up and back, but never for more that 1/4 to 1/3 mile at a time.

Two months ago I made to smaller accomplishments. I jogged a half mile solid at the end of a walk I took. I also completed a 5k loop around the neighborhood in just 38m:44s. This was alternating 3:00 running and 2:00 walking.

I don't know what possessed me, but this morning on the treadmill after my warm-up I said "I am gonna run for 5 minutes" and that turned into a half mile and that turned into ten minutes and then I said heck with it and went for the gold. I was drenched in sweat and dying afterwards but I stayed on another 15 minutes alternating jogging/walking.

It was an amazing feeling. I feel like a regular person almost!
  • poptart2012
    poptart2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Great job!! Huge accomplishment. :smile:
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    That's awesome!! I bet you feel super proud and you should. Great job! :)
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Ryan, Great job!

Don't worry about the "slow" part, as I read on a post in g+, you are still faster than those sitting on their butt!

Do you have a long term running goal? 5k race?, mud run? I recently upped my goal to a 5 mile non-stop run.

Good Luck and enjoy the "high"!
  • 86myHeadache
    86myHeadache Posts: 44 Member
    You are not a regular person. You are a SUPER PERSON. Well done:drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    thumbs-up.jpg
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    That's great!! It's such a wonderful accomplishment that many people can't do. I'm working on getting back to running a mile straight again. Yay you!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Well done, sir!!
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    So proud of you!!!! I remember the first time I did that, I cried, I was so happy...don't ever forget how great it feels
  • That's a huge deal. Congratulations!
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Thats awesome!!! I hope to post the same some day.
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    Do you have a long term running goal? 5k race?, mud run? I recently upped my goal to a 5 mile non-stop run.

I am trying to improve my 5K time. There is a convenient loop around my neighborhood that is exactly 5K and only has two slight inclines, so it is easy for me to practice. My last shot at it took me 38m:22s.

I don't know if I will ever get fast enough to race in a 5K. I know I will enter and complete one, just to say "I DID IT!", but I am not sure if I will ever become a "runner" in the long run. I don't like running, I am just doing it for exercise.

My long term goal at this time is to enter and finish a sprint triathlon. I just have to figure out where and when to work on my swimming form!
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Congrats to you! Running has changed my life. I used to run in high school, but picked it up again a few years ago. Running a whole mile is an achievement. Keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!