resetting your goal weight

Hello everybody! It's me... again....
Sorry to bother you with my questions again, but I was thinking ( doesn't happen often... ^^): I heard a lot of people say that they felt better at a higher weight than what they were working out for in the first place.
For example, I've heard on another forum that a women wanted to lose weight to achieve the weight she had when she was in her 20's, but in the end she never made it because she felt more fit and toned up at a higher weight.
So I was wondering: does anyone had that feeling?
Because I'm thinking about reevaluating my goal weight.
Initially I was going for losing 12 kg (30 lbs) in 6 months. But it seems so big for a weight loss (translate I'm scared not to achieve that and feel miserable, like I'd have failed or something) so I was thinking maybe I could lose 8 kg (18 lbs) to get to 55 kg, stabilize for a while, then if i really feel i must lose more, start again. What do you think? Should i lose all the 30 lbs at once, or divide it in smaller goals?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Hi!

It might seem like a lot, or too aggressive, but I say why not try? If you don't make it, so what! Keep trying. I have always been afraid of setting goals for the same reason you mentioned. But you won't be a failure, even if you try and you only lose 1 pound. If you find that you're happier sooner, then great!

I've read that some people lose ten pounds at a time, and then eat at maintenance for a few weeks, and then go back to eating at a deficit for the next ten pounds. I don't know much about this, maybe someone else will.

Good luck!!!
  • Hi!

It might seem like a lot, or too aggressive, but I say why not try? If you don't make it, so what! Keep trying. I have always been afraid of setting goals for the same reason you mentioned. But you won't be a failure, even if you try and you only lose 1 pound. If you find that you're happier sooner, then great!

I've read that some people lose ten pounds at a time, and then eat at maintenance for a few weeks, and then go back to eating at a deficit for the next ten pounds. I don't know much about this, maybe someone else will.

Good luck!!!

Thank you your message made me feel better. That's exactly what it's: i'm afraid of failing. Because I've failed before at trying to be healthy. Maybe I should say "my goal is between 55 kg (124 Lbs) and 52 kg (115 Lbs)" and not try to focus on the number on the scale, but pay more attention on how my clothes fit and how i feel :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I think that's a great idea to have a range. I have no clue what my goal weight is because I don't know what I'll look like or feel like when I'm at a healthy weight. So I just figure I'll know when I get there!

I'm trying to make my (arbitrary) goal by my birthday in June and wear a bikini! 40 pounds - aggressive! But I won't give up if I don't make it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Sorry to bother you with my questions again, but I was thinking ( doesn't happen often... ^^): I heard a lot of people say that they felt better at a higher weight than what they were working out for in the first place.
    For example, I've heard on another forum that a women wanted to lose weight to achieve the weight she had when she was in her 20's, but in the end she never made it because she felt more fit and toned up at a higher weight.
    Initially I was going for losing 12 kg (30 lbs) in 6 months. But it seems so big for a weight loss (translate I'm scared not to achieve that and feel miserable, like I'd have failed or something) so I was thinking maybe I could lose 8 kg (18 lbs) to get to 55 kg, stabilize for a while, then if i really feel i must lose more, start again. What do you think? Should i lose all the 30 lbs at once, or divide it in smaller goals?

it's really up to you how fast you want to lose the weight. If you are comfortable at that goal, with your calories and everything, then go for it. As you lose, evaluate yourself and how you feel. If you reach a place where you really feel good, stop for a while, do maintenance and see how you feel after while. If you still feel good and you are satisfied with what you see in the mirror, stay there. If not, start the deficit again.
  • I think that's a great idea to have a range. I have no clue what my goal weight is because I don't know what I'll look like or feel like when I'm at a healthy weight. So I just figure I'll know when I get there!

I'm trying to make my (arbitrary) goal by my birthday in June and wear a bikini! 40 pounds - aggressive! But I won't give up if I don't make it.

I've never been healthy ore toned up so i don't even know what feeling good about our body means. I've always been chubby, with some fat going on everywhere... So I guess that's why I fear to fail... fear of the unknown...

I hope you'll reach you "goal" :)

it's really up to you how fast you want to lose the weight. If you are comfortable at that goal, with your calories and everything, then go for it. As you lose, evaluate yourself and how you feel. If you reach a place where you really feel good, stop for a while, do maintenance and see how you feel after while. If you still feel good and you are satisfied with what you see in the mirror, stay there. If not, start the deficit again.

I can't wait to feel good^^
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I ended up raising my goal weight by 15lbs, turns out I'm a lot more muscular now than I thought I was- my original goal weight was based on when I was like 21y/o.

I actually wear SMALLER clothes now then when I was younger and 15-20lbs lighter.

But, TBH, your goal weight doesn't really matter until you get close to it. For now, focus on eating your deficit, getting some exercise, and losing 1-2lbs a week. When you start approaching your target range you can reassess how you feel in your body and how much farther you want to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    IMHO, looking at BF% is far better than some arbitrary weight that you were back in highschool or college or in your twenties or whatever. Bodies change...

When I was a high school senior I was about 140 Lbs and 8% BF...that gave me LBM of 128.8 Lbs...in my twenties in the Marine Corps I was around 150 and 12% BF, giving me LBM of around 132 Lbs. I am now 39 years old and weigh 183 Lbs @ roughly 21% BF...a perfectly healthy BF% for my age and height (though I would still be comfortable slightly leaner)...but that gives me a LBM of 144.6 Lbs.

What does all this mean? Well, to get to my highschool senior weight I would not only have to reduce my fat stores but I'd also have to burn about 16 Lbs of muscle and other LBM to get there. That would be rather silly. To get to where I was in my twenties I would have to reduce my fat stores and burn around 12.6 Lbs of muscle and other LBM...again...not desirable.

In either case I'm not going to look as fit as I do now even though I'm at a somewhat higher BF% now...because I have a lot more muscle mass now and that would all be gone. I could still stand to cut some fat...and I'd be pretty comfortable at around 15% BF which is pretty lean for a man of my age...and at that BF%, I'd still clock in at roughly 170 Lbs.

You have to realize that the scale is showing a lot more than just fat. Our bodies change as we mature...we put on muscle, etc. It's not all fat.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    I had the opposite happen-I chose my original goal weight because that was what I weighed on my wedding day and I remember looking and feeling good at that weight. Well, what I didn't take into consideration was I'm 11 years older now and in my 30s, and I've had 3 kids since then. The day I hit my goal weight I was doing the happy dance, until I looked into a mirror and then I was like WTH, why don't I look like that hot chick in those wedding pictures :grumble: :laugh: So I kept going and have since lost almost 20lbs more than my original goal weight. I'm now totally happy about how I look and feel and have been in maintenance for several months now :)

Nothing wrong with changing goals in either direction- can always adjust down the road if needed!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    I can only say: carry on at a pace you are comfortable with. As you lose weight, your understanding of "ideal weight" will change, too and you will get to know what it is like being lighter in the first place.
    For example I was 88kg/194lbs at my heaviest, and "average" weight for my "average" height would be 60kg/132lbs. I could easily be 6lbs lighter (I am 139lbs, 5'6 (5'5 and a half)) but I like to be strong and "heavy". I have a good figure now, size 10UK/38EU and I would never trade my thigh muscles for less kilos! Other people would disagree with me. It is very personal- you have to be able to live with yourself.

So, just carry on and see how your brain reacts to your new figure. If you feel you are losing weight too fast, then adjust.